Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Phantom Doctrine - "tactical Cold War conspiracy thriller" by Hard West devs

norolim

Arcane
Very cool trailer but it might be misleading to tease a Kennedy assassination mission when the game takes place in the 1980s. :P
Agreed on the trailer. Kennedy's assassination might be connected to a current case. Or maybe we'll finally find out who exactly was behind it? Hmmm...
:d1p:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Edit:

JFK end boss?
jfkreloaded8wzfp52smh.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Removing RNG is such a decline. The combat system is a bit weird. I really disliked how it was handled in Hard West.
Still looking forward to the game, but I have to say it puts a serious hamper on the hype.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Removing RNG is such a decline. The combat system is a bit weird. I really disliked how it was handled in Hard West.
Still looking forward to the game, but I have to say it puts a serious hamper on the hype.
Well it is not total RNG removal because enemies get a random amount of defense stat that is compared with your accuracy stat. Then it goes on from there.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Developer
A word of explanation about the preorders: one of the biggest factor of sales on Steam is the top sellers rodeo. The longer you can hold out, the more it sells. Many people pick games up from top 10 top sellers. Eg. if your game holds out for 3 days - you've got a massive success on your hands. Top selling list is a self-fulfilling prophecy, basically. (Hard West was on the ferris wheel for about 10h, if I recall correctly)

Now: preorder sales don't count towards top selling stats; you have to be selling a lot and very recently, and most sales before launch are too distant to count. That's why it makes sense to build up a push for the moment of release.
Actually it's exactly the same with press embargos. The main reason you want that (except for cases when game is clearly shit) is to have your game all over the place at the same time. You want to flood the channels (sites, social, steam) with news of your game so players buy it at once, get you in the top selling moshpit.

ps. I'm sorry if anyones feels got hurt when observing how the sausage is made :P

Mark Richard

Arcane
Another member of the team is contributing to the GOG pre-order thread and broke down some of the differences between Phantom Doctrine and their previous game Hard West.

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/preorder_phantom_doctrine_dcb2b/page4?as=1649904300

Not trying to talk you into pre-ordering the game, just wanted to say that we were very aware of Hard West's flaws while working on Phantom Doctrine and I like to think that we've done a great job avoiding those. Since obviously quite a few people (not just here) have brought up Hard West and drawn comparisons to it, I'd like to go over a few of the big changes:

One of the design decisions that really bit us in the A were the reaction shots (automatic 100% hit when getting close to an enemy), those were replaced by a very nice overwatch feature where you and the AI can actually choose what area to cover. No overwatch: okay, safely walk up to the enemy and shoot them in the face or perform a takedown.

In Hard West many characters were plot-related and losing them resulted in instant game over. In Phantom Doctrine all characters besides your avatar are allowed to die and you can even lose entire missions without losing the game (certain missions have to be won, of course).

Hard West was divided into chapters and you regularly had to start over with a new team as you made progress in the campaign. Now you can use your favourite guys from start to finish.

In Hard West there was no saving during tactical encounters (until quick saving was introduced as an experimental feature in a patch) and only autosaving on the world map. This time you can save at any time and the game is also automatically saved each turn during tactical missions and at regular intervals while at the hideout.

Hard West's world map lacked a bit of depth and progress was quite linear. This time you have an actual strategic layer where you manage your many agents, research new tech, send your agents on various jobs to counter the enemy, launch many optional tactical missions etc..

One thing that everyone seemed to enjoy in Hard West was the Luck system that replaced random hit chances. The system returns in a new guise as "Awareness" and was greatly improved. Now it regenerates per turn and there are many ways to replenish it actively or attack enemies' awareness directly. Again it additionally serves as "mana" for using certain abilities and does so more effectively.

Another well-received thing was the "Setup" mode where you can move quite freely before engaging in combat. This one was extended into a full-fledged stealth mode called "Infiltration" where you can actively eliminate enemies and even finish entire missions without engaging in open combat.

These things are just the tip of the iceberg, of course. There have been zillions of other additions and changes, whether it's to the combat mechanics, mission design, character development, artificial intelligence or the presentation. Then there's of course the entirely new stuff like kidnapping hostile agents and brainwashing them, support powers (e.g. snipers helping out from outside the map), weapon modding, multiplayer and much more. It's safe to say that we've come a really long way since Hard West.

Last edited by a moderator:

Modron

Arcane
Does that mean that there is character creation?
Sounds more like you are a commander who runs the organization rather than fights directly in combat akin to say JA's laptop guy. Granted I haven't read all the previews and interviews so I could be wrong; I suppose we will find out in a few days now.

I mean otherwise I would probably use the avatar to breach every door/bottleneck/et cetera on the map.

Developer
You totally create a character! Including gender and hat and all. The only thing you can't change is your protagonists codename (because story related voiceover).
Your hero goes into action, gains exp and everything.
His death or capture is also pretty much the only reliable game over cause :P
And of course you can customize every single character you own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom