Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Phoenix Point now an Epic Store Exkloosive

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Darth Roxor, Mar 13, 2019.

1. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Reminder that this is the third time that Julian Gollop betrays the fans

First it was when they abandoned some of the best concepts and arts for the game, like the more lovecratian and post-apoc visuals.

Then when they signed that deal with Microsoft to release Phoenix Point to Xbone, clearly watering the product down to pander to consoles.

Now they're going in bed with Epic.

• Brofist x 6
    • decline x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    I can't believe that you're seriously making this argument. Epic Store just started as a platform, they haven't had time to conclude deals with multiple third parties to resell keys.

Don't you see that by making Valve the one platform for everything PC related, the only one where anyone can realistically make any money, it gives Valve a huge unfair advantage over everyone else? If they decide to blacklist you, for whatever reason, you have no way to make a profit.

Having to install another program on your PC is a total non-issue. And having a platform that provides much lower dev fees is a very good thing. It is much reminiscent of 3DO and Sony in the early 90s on the console scene. It led to a boom in vibrant third party games.

Cuttthroat competition is a GOOD thing in this industry and was sorely needed. It will force Valve to give us more. They won't be able to sit on their laurels.

• retadred x 9
    • hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • /facepalm/ x 3
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    I fucking laughed considering Valve is the most hands off and curator-free Digital Platform owner there is out there. Making this argument when the likes of Epic, GOG and other stores are the ones not allowing games on their platform for whatever reason is amazing.

Yeah, on the surface. In reality, the end-user price remains the same, so the only thing that changes is Epic Store and dev profits, which I honestly do not give a fuck about.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  4. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    What guarantee exactly do we have that Valve is going to behave in a benign manner forever? What happens when Gabe Newell retires and the suits that succeed him decide to go SJW and make a lot of unpleasant changes?

Why would you be so much against having viable options? It makes no sense at all.

And the games you care about are made by indie games whose financial situation is almost always hanging by a thread. You "don't give a f" about giving them enough money to make a living out of making hardcore games? You can't seriously mean that.

• retadred x 5
    • cuck x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    I don't have any guarantees of anything. What I have is the certainty that at the current time, Valve/Steam is a much more open platform than any other store.

I'm not against having viable options. Key-word here is options. Paying for third party exclusivity deals is not giving people an option. On top of that, not allowing the activation of third party keys so that users can buy their games wherever they want (like Steam allows you to do), is also not giving anyone an option. Price is too high on the epic store? They don't respect regional prices? Getting fucked by conversion rates? Don't accept your payment method? Too bad, because they're greedy chinks you can't just buy the game from another store.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    Ok guys, this is epic.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Button Button x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arbiter

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. normie Educated

normie
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Black Arcane

Black
    Eternal Anglo cries out in pain as he strikes you.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. cosmicray Novice

cosmicray
    Woopie-fucking-doo. Did they have time for anything other that buying exclusives? Client is barebones, no key reselling, no games. But it's good competition anyway that you can choose Epic instead of Steam. Well, unless you can't.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. scytheavatar Novice

scytheavatar
    Play the superior FiraXCOM, it's not a fantastic choice either but let's not pretend Phoenix Point was shaping up to be anything good.

• decline decline x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. cr0mag Literate

cr0mag
    Thanks, I haven't heard of that and I'll have a look. I'll have to check up on Xenonauts 2 too because I had a ton of fun playing the original. I'm a pretty die hard sci-fi and turned based fan so I'm a complete sucker for any of these types of games that combine two of my favourite things.

Yes, it is niche but I suspect there are enough people like me that has caused Epic to poach Pheonix Point. Which I find bitter-sweet because although it is shady business, it does mean that the genre does have popularity so more games in this vein will be made in the future. I never would have used the Epic launcher until this, Epic is clearly pinpointing people's weaknesses... I'm definitely going to buy it I can't help myself

• M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Who Cares Novice

Who Cares
    Never thought I'd hear the "entitled gaymurs" shit in my mother tongue. Jesus christ it's all so tiresome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. samuraigaiden Educated

samuraigaiden
    Supposedly Epic gave them more than 2 million dollars for the 1 year exclusivity. Snapshot is a studio located in Bulgaria. I'm pretty sure 2 million dollars can keep a Bulgarian company afloat for a few years.

It's not right what they are doing, but I'd probably do the same if I was in their place.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    That's a huge pile of cash. Inb4 the Bulgarian mafia giving them a business offer they couldn't refuse.

^ Top  
  16. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Stupid move by the studio, turn-based strategy crowd is PC centric. They aren't exactly going to have much appeal on the console market, XBONE sales won't fill the hole left by favoring one storefront on PC.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    2 million is really, really much in Bulgaria, yes. That's gonna keep them alive for a long time.

The only question now is: will it be beneficial in the long term, or will the harm they've done to their credibility and reputation inevitably sink the ship anyway?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Gollop is 54, he could just retire if it doesn't work out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Difera Novice

Difera
    IMHO it seems to be Gollop's endgame plan behind all this mess.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    If I was Gollop I would've done the same thing (maybe milk Epic for even more sweetness while the teat is plump) and all non-retarded Codexers ditto.

• Shit x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • decline x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. normie Educated

normie
    verb: gollop; 3rd person present: gollops; past tense: golloped; past participle: golloped; gerund or present participle: golloping
    1. 1.
      swallow (food) hastily or greedily.
    :shittydog:

the man comes from a long lineage of men who swallow greedily, we picked the worst guy to trust and the chicoms knew exactly that he'd turn if tempted

• Funny Funny x 15
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. *-*/\--/\~ Savant

*-*/\--/\~
    Well fuck you Gollop and fuck anything you ever make. Moved right into the "ignore / torrent if really bored" pile.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    Was going to yarr this shit anyway, learned my kickstarter lesson after Wasteland 2. I'm just here for the violence

Don't really blame Julian for taking the cash though. Would have done the same most likely.

• PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    This game has been generating some momentum and hype so the only way this makes any sense to me is if they do not believe in the actual product.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah, about that.... retirement on the balkans is not as sweet of a deal as in the west, unless he amassed a huge amount of money in his career, which I doubt. So I don't think he wants to retire at the age of 54.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)