Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Phoenix Point now an Epic Store Exkloosive

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well at least you're honest I was kindda worried you'd strawman the shit out of my argument.
Maybe if you produced something other than straw...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Forgive my ignorance, but (unrelated to the entire platform wars thing) why does anyone care about any other XCom spiritual successors when Xenonauts exists?
I like old UFO games and I like the new XCOM: Enemy Unknown (and EW add on and LW mod). I like tactical games. I like turn based games.

And I really tried to like Xenonauts. I tried to like it because in theory it's a great game and because I wanted to justify spending money on it.

But I couldn't.

EVERYTHING in this game is crappy. The first jarring thing is air combat. While in theory very good, it's just too bugged. About 5-10% of my air fights end up in my and enemy aircrafts circling around each other forever at the same spot, and if I try to move my plane it's an obvious suicide, so I can either do that or alt+F4. Other than this annoyance air combat is fine as it is, however, it's much better to just hit autoresolve and spare yourself some irritation from time to time.

The next extremely annoying thing is a field of vision of soldiers. It seems they are are incredibly shortsighted to a point they can't see anything over 10 meters away and miss targets that are five meters away by fvkking miles. The best tactic is to run at enemies to stand one meter away from them as in melee fight and then shoot them because otherwise your dumb fuck retarded soldier will miss or even perhaps kill one of the other squad members shooting in a wrong direction by a 90 degrees. In addition, while the player is walking around the maps almost blindly, aliens always know where the player's units are. Even if they are on the other side of the map they already see you. So screw you if you wanted to use a short vision against the enemy.

The next thing is that aliens just love "camping". A bunch of them will just sit in their aircraft with a closed door (so far I did not find a way to just blow upthe whole aircrafts with those t4rrds inside) and wait for you. If you run a soldier over there, they will murder him and close the door. In consequence you just put a bunch of soldiers around the door, run with one tw4t through the fvkken door and get him shredded due to aliens' reaction fire and then shoot everything inside with the rest of the squad. Every fight same tactics. It's repetitive and boring.

While your guys can't shoot anything 5 meters away, aliens seem to have better aim, but that's not even very noticeable. What is very noticeable is that sometimes they shoot from twice your vision or through walls which are impenetrable for your guys. Ultimate trolls.

It's also funny to see a fully armored combat vehicle to explode into pieces after a "bullet" from the enemy's gun hits it. It looks like a tank exploding after being shot by a gun. Why, what I don't even... either don't put such vehicles in the game if they seem too powerful or make them very expensive, but why put such a vehicle only to be as easily destroyed as a random soldier? Especially when the vehicle takes 6 slots, meaning you could put 6 soldiers on its place? Sure, it has a very powerful gun, but so what if it gets destroyed withing a few rounds.

The game also crashes like crazy on Linux. Loading new map... crash. Air combat... crash. New round... crash.

I do not recommend this game to anyone. It's a waste of money, time and nerves. If you like old XCOM/UFO, then just play them or go ahead with the modern casualized version that is XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within, which is still a great game on its own. Try out the Long War for more fun. But for your own good stay the heck away from a tvrrd that is Xenonauts. I wasted money that would buy me a few sacks of potatoes or some burgers, do not make the same mistake. Actually, don't even buy it when this game will get cheap and hits -75% sales. It's just unplayable.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You forgot to mention that art style is also bland, music is forgettable, there are only a few maps. Squads you can bring to missions are also small and you cannot lose more than 1-2 soldiers per mission without losing the campaign and just like new Xcom it does not feel like a horror game like the UFO did.

And then there is the whole thing about how enemy psionics works...

Only thing they did better than UFO is how in heaviest armor you can go through walls and fences.

Guy de Incognito

Ensit Media
Developer
Forgive my ignorance, but (unrelated to the entire platform wars thing) why does anyone care about any other XCom spiritual successors when Xenonauts exists?
I like old UFO games and I like the new XCOM: Enemy Unknown (and EW add on and LW mod). I like tactical games. I like turn based games.

And I really tried to like Xenonauts. I tried to like it because in theory it's a great game and because I wanted to justify spending money on it.

I played Xenonauts on Windows and quite some time after it was released so I didn't experience any bugs except some sound issues. On the other hand I found the Fireaxis' XCOM to be a travesty and absolute garbage. To be fair, I'd have hated it less (or more likely ignored it completely) if it were a new franchise, but all I wanted was a faithful UFO/XCOM remake.

Enter Xenonauts. I actually love all the negative points you raised about human soldiers and human tech being much weaker. I played only iron man mode and some missions I'd outright lose and some I'd have only one survivor and I loved it with all its unfairness and randomness and the inevitable tragedies and sacrifices.

As for breaching alien ships, how is that hard? Just cover the door from afar with snipers and machine guns, get one guy (preferably with a ballistic shield) to the side of the door and let him open it. If he gets wasted anyway, well too bad.

As for getting shot from afar, try to end every turn in cover. Also get your marksmen on roofs and return the favor.

Tanks take up two soldiers and are good only in the beginning when your soldiers are total crap. I don't use them even then because they don't gain experience and I don't feel anguish over a destroyed tank.

Anyway, Xenonauts gets two thumbs up from me. As for Fireaxis' XCOM I'll give it another shot because I already paid for it and since Xenonauts exists I'm less butthurt about XCOM being consolized.

Thonius

Arcane
Xenonauts are good with some mods, but then again after instaling mods(like breaching mod that allows you to breach walls of crashed ship, more maps, guns etc) my game started to crash and I uninstalled it forever

Heretic

Cipher
What the fuck is this Xenonauts bashing here?!

How the fuck can you prefer the retarded consolized version by Firaxis?! Pod spawns alone kill any semblance of tactics and AI.

Xenonauts is exactly what it promised: An updated version of the originals. Not some popamole killcam reimagining with two action points per turn.
:flamesaw:

ArchAngel

Arcane
What the fuck is this Xenonauts bashing here?!

How the fuck can you prefer the retarded consolized version by Firaxis?! Pod spawns alone kill any semblance of tactics and AI.

Xenonauts is exactly what it promised: An updated version of the originals. Not some popamole killcam reimagining with two action points per turn.
:flamesaw:
Because it is pointless. Open Xcom is far superior version and new Xcom has a completely different experience.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
more like trollop lmoa

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom