Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ArchAngel

Arcane
I could be wrong, but didn't Gollop, who was the man behind X-Com: apocalypse, say that Geoscpae was the more exciting part of PP for him? Because it feels bland since the first day he showed it.
They kind of fucked up with UI making it look like something for phones/tablets but mechanics behind it are OK. Even now it is almost as complex as UFO 1994 with potential to be way more if faction wars have a big influence in the game.

It only lacks air interception mechanics, people like that in their UFO lookalikes.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What exactly was bad about this geoscape now? Are we complaining just to complain?
Seems better than anything else in the recent years. Has much more things to interact with, flying ranges, multiple aircrafts, radars, points of interest to explore...
Is it how it looks that bothers you?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've noticed there's a weird thing going on with this game where there's a social expectation that it's supposed to be bad, but anytime somebody actually bothers to look at the gameplay, it actually looks kind of good.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've noticed there's a weird thing going on with this game where there's a social expectation that it's supposed to be bad, but anytime somebody actually bothers to look at the gameplay, it actually looks kind of good.
This is the real problem. It looks kind of good but since it is from Gollop and all his talk during FIG and after, people will not settle for anything below Excellent. Kind of how with mainstream review sites any game that gets score below 9 is bad.

Mustawd

I think there is a lot of butthurt and feeling of being manipulated by Gollop during his Fig campaign.

But obviously we’re still fans of the genre. I think a lot of us are still butthurt and are taking a wait and see approach to this game. After all, there’s still more than a year until it’s final release, so there’s a lot of room for improvement and possible modding.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

I think there is a lot of butthurt and feeling of being manipulated by Gollop during his Fig campaign.

But obviously we’re still fans of the genre. I think a lot of us are still butthurt and are taking a wait and see approach to this game. After all, there’s still more than a year until it’s final release, so there’s a lot of room for improvement and possible modding.
For me it's more that I'm sad to see Gollop go full Molyneux in times where every game wants to be nuXcom.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Nearly anything can look 'kinda good' to sheeplike spineless drones. That's why we are where we are.

Falksi

Arcane
All these X-com rip offs don't get how much of a key element mixing aliens with a normal, day to day setting makes these games what they are. Half the lure for me is that feeling of the unknown, and having to defend areas & innocents from overwhelmingly advanced beings with primitive, earth-based weapons & suchlike.

When I'd encounter a sectiod in the first few missions of the original X-Com, it always felt like a big deal. It FELT like "fuckinghell.......an alien!!" Even on later playthroughs. Christ when a Chrysalid did it's thing it was shitsitville.

Future apocalyptic world are cool, but what's to save? Where's the "nice" to contrast the nasty?

Still very interested in this game, just wish these devs got it more.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I just took a peek into a neighbouring alternative world where everything is exactly the same except Gollop didn't go exclusive with Epic and everyone is super positive and very hyped about the game. Very mysterious those alternative worlds.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I just took a peek into a neighbouring alternative world where everything is exactly the same except Gollop didn't go exclusive with Epic and everyone is super positive and very hyped about the game. Very mysterious those alternative worlds.

Negative opinions were ITT before the Epic was announced though.

What exactly was bad about this geoscape now? Are we complaining just to complain?
Seems better than anything else in the recent years. Has much more things to interact with, flying ranges, multiple aircrafts, radars, points of interest to explore...
Is it how it looks that bothers you?

Hmm, Shillytron I can understand. But dare I say I'm seeing an all together Sunk Cost Fallacy here?

Just like Star Citizen, no amount of money or positivity you put into the project will amount to a good game. Only hard work by devs who know what they're doing can manage that. We are not dealing with devs who know what they're doing. Especially after Gollop is so keen to change his PC centric design to a Console centric one without deigning to inform backers after they specifically voted for him not to do that.

Do not look at that UI, good goy. Yes, this game needs to make more money. It can only make more money by restricting the platforms it can appear on. Yes, goy I know you know maths but I know better than you. It's more focused money. We will enjoy greater viability amongst the Goyim through the Epic Store. The radial menus and gigantic, unwieldy interface is not a sign of us designing for consoles first. No goy. Trust in us. Fig is an investment platform. Yes.

geno

Savant
I say this with a sour taste in my mouth but I honestly believe this is the most interesting X-com clone to be released in a long time, considering that End State is MIA and Phantom Brigade is only on Windows 10. It's just some aspects of PP feeling underwhelming to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beware the alien, the mutant, the heretic:

Charismatic individualist Tobias West leads New Jericho, a group dedicated to eradicating the alien threat and restoring the Earth to exclusive human control. New Jericho maintains the world's most advanced technology and has a vast arsenal of powerful weapons that the Phoenix Project can access -- if they agree to an alliance. However, accepting New Jericho's philosophy may mean rejecting a deeper understanding of the alien threat.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Like others have stated, this still looks to be the most interesting X-COM like game but a lot had changed between Fig and the present.

Most noticably the setting and the visuals, from a horror game with a lot of body horror, blood, Gore a grim and dark postapocalyptic setting, to a sci-fi game with some horror aspects, leaning more towards Firaxis XCOM.

If the Backer Builds are anything to go by the game will have a lot of bugs when released.

The tactical part currently feels more like XCOM thanks to supersoldiers (super skills).

The geoscape/exploration around Backer Build 3 was more interesting as you had limited fuel for your aircrafts which meant you needed to build fuel stations, or had to spend resources for emergency refuels. Specially the fuel stations brought in an interesting strategic aspect as you had to consider diplomatics and which bases you needed to defend. A shame that it was to "complex" and got changed to what is now (unlimited fuel).

Also it seems that a lot got cut, most noticably the Behemoths. They'll probably add it with DLC's.

Than there was the drop of Linux support, they teamed up with Microsoft, the GUI got consolized, than it went epic exclusive and the general buthurt started.

Well in about a month we will see what we get, I guess the game will take another year to come to it's full potential, if ever.

geno

Savant
Diesel%2Fproductv2%2Fphoenix-point%2Fhome%2FBlood_and_Titanuim-1360x766-85e8ea5079591f264dd7ba0b8ba0b0275342f815.jpg
Diesel%2Fproductv2%2Fphoenix-point%2Fhome%2FLegacy_of_the_Aancientsl-1360x766-b817589d2a8141cdb1d912390019094311956a94.jpg
Diesel%2Fproductv2%2Fphoenix-point%2Fhome%2FFestering_Skies_Carousel-1360x766-db1ce2c76d784288902fea89cfe217f4a5c55961.jpg

I couldn't find nothing about the other 2 DLCs

orcinator

Liturgist
Wonder what's going to be finished first, my first full playthrough of X-Com Files, my second full playthrough of X-Piratez or this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom