Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    yes, I shot things through cover so far

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    You could get their Move, Will and Aim values in missions?

I was talking about this UI element, actually, on the bottom left:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

I don't think it was there before XCOM 2 : WOTC.

I first had the impression that Beaglerush nitpicked a lot during his stream, but then he says that Blood Bowl is one of the best turn based PvP games ever made, so he may be right about the rest as well!

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    thats why to hit rolls are better imo. All the extra headache of this "realistic" "ballistic modeling" system for what? Its a ton of work and probably adds nothing, not even realism in the end... just countless unforeseen consequences that can be solved with a much easier system and leave you with months of programmer time to actually add worthwhile content. perhaps somebody will develop an in depth ballistic model people can buy and paste on to their game someday, but spending years to develop a system worse than just rolling dice seems seems to be a big money and time sink to me.

• Agree x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    I actually disagree with some of that. Why should you know the exact way its going to look where you are going to run to? You would not know that in a real fire fight, some of that is just a good guess and a hope. I don't mind having to guess and hope, nothing unrealistic about that IMO. Being able to turn and tilt the camera from every possible angle including angles from movements you have yet to even actually make is like being able to see into the future. Maybe some soldier could have that as a cool skill or ability, but not everyone should have that ability.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    edit:
    it was thick glass you almost could not see through. It would not let a hand gun shoot through it (would put an X up if I tried to use a hand gun and would not even let me attempt a shot), but if I used the sniper rifle I could shoot through it...it may have supposed to have been bullet proof glass or something, not sure. I also did damage through some wooden doors.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Yeah,that dude sounds so fucking butthurt. A big hint at his retardation was him comparing it to modern xcom popamoles and not the originals. He sounds really whiny and annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Can't brofist hard enough. To my shame, I am still surprised every time someone brings up realistic simulationism as if it is the whole point of gaming. I should have learned by now how many people just want games to be exactly like real life. It still makes no sense to me. :|

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • :M :M x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. warcrimes666 Educated Patron

warcrimes666
    Well, lads, its not that bad. Its not really an adequate response to shit on it totally. I fired it up to hate it but I find the mechanics superior to the nucoms and its more enjoyable to play. Not sure about the qualms with the soundtrack, it takes some time to kick in but it is very reminiscent of the original and quite well done, at one point I got the feels from 1994. As a point of contention that line of reasoning is at scrub level.

Did they fuck up, yes massively. Too many ways to list really, nose dive in art, everything they lifted from nucom, it's unfinished half a game, the watered down tension and so on. But the base is there, it's compelling. Really, it's what many wanted from the reboots and the core of the game is a worthy successor. I could chew it up any which way as it stands but to call it fallout 76 is asinine.

That being said, its another year to get to a complete game so for most that are waiting for steam, its a smart bet. Otherwise, for a jaded cynical fuck like me to have some fun with it was unexpected and welcome.

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    So called ballistics model with true line of sight has been pretty stable feature in Gollop's game design.
    UFO did it under the hood using voxels and there was that cancelled PS2 era game that was supposed to have free aim mode.

^ Top  
  10. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    People often forget details like this as they get washed out over time. XCOM2 which is basically a gameplay continuation and its expansion AND its excellent modding scene got that game to a good spot. Similarly, people look at Civ4 with rosecolored eyes and yet that game was a disaster to play at release as well, and also wasn't really sharpened until two expansions later.

I haven't played Phoenix Point and dunno if I will cause of the Epic Games nonsense, and if it deserves critique for sure give it, but yeah people really shouldn't be doing straight 1:1 comparisons to competitors who have been out and about for years now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mazisky Augur

Mazisky
    Wotc ost is equally good. The only forgettable one is that of the vanilla Xcom 2.

^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I listened to him a bit more, after comparing it with nuXcom he is so butthurt he says shit like nobody that likes Xcom should play this game. Later his heavy misses a shot from far away and he laughs like a madman and shits on the class and game like it is game's fault he is a retard.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Don't be a retard. Is it as good as UFO 1994 and TFTD? No.
    Is it better than nuXcoms and many Xcom clones that happened between Xcom Apocalypse and nuXcoms? Yes.
    Is it better than nuXcoms? Yes.

If PP is Fallout 76 than what are nuXcoms? Because in Fallout world you cannot get a worse game than Fallout 76. Your statement is ridiculous. And no I don't want to read your BB5 comments, they are not valid anymore. BB5 biggest problems was that classes were OP as fuck and game was way too easy. Both of those are no longer valid.

And if you really think that better production quality of nuXcom games makes them a better game than PP that does all mechanics better then you are a true retard and should stop embarrassing yourself.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  14. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    So essentially PeePee is exactly as predicted, plus even goes beyond that, mimicking features from nuXcom, which in itself is a kissing cousin of Gollop's original ideas. Whew, what a sitcom.

FFS, can we stop taking that low bar as a quality measure?

^ Top  
  15. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Thanks to XCOM and XCOM2, I totally stopped giving a shit about X-COM games.

Or is this actually gud?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. PanteraNera Cipher

PanteraNera
    To clarify I only posted this with the source (video) because I thought the same.

Also here is his conclusion:

^ Top  
  17. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Oh I agree that OG Xcom is better game overall but I cannot play that game my whole life. PP is good enough, it is only a disappointment if you expected it to be better than OG X-com.. but that is your own fault for not tempering your expectations.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  18. Mazisky Augur

Mazisky
    Nuxcom is the high quality standard for the genre now. The fact that a bunch of you (which is the 0,003% of the playerbase) think it's bad, it doesn't mean it is. Deal with it.

• Up Yours x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • decline x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Considering that only 0.003 percent of the playerbase finishes a single firaxis game tells you all you need to know about such high quality.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    You would be amazed if you saw the same statistic for the old X-COMs. 0.003 percent would be high most probably

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    Quality is not a popularity contest. Old XComs were not niche games, as opposed to pure strategy games of the time, and struck gold between complexity and popularity. The simplification of nuXcoms was a marketing strategy, and while definitely successful in terms of sales, the only aspect of it I care about, is how disastrous it was on the game mechanics.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    I didn't talk about popularity. I do believe though that very few people from the ones that played it, actually finished a UFO: Enemy Uknown game, for example

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Mazisky Augur

Mazisky
    Quality is not the opinion of 4 random butthurts in a forum either.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Yeah,he is like one of the souls fan,a casualtard that never really played any games and then played soul/nuxcom and decided that it is the best game in the world and ended up inventing a whole "genre" from it because he is dumb and ignorant casualtard.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    The problem with Phoenix Point it's not in a single mechanics or features, but in the general approximation of the whole thing: incomplete or missing fundamental features like mutations, unbalanced mechanics, repetitive assets in map generation, atrocious UI, bug and glitches galore and many others. This is not a complete game, nor a beta: it's still a pre-alpha sold as "1.0", if you can't see it I can't help you.

I personally don't like NuXcoms but this don't prevent me from recognizing that Phoenix Point have very low production value: the base management screen, for example, would have been embarassing even on an Amiga 500 unexpanded.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)