Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

jac8awol

Arbiter
Cool, seems like it may end up being worthwhile in the long run. I still feel pretty burnt out since my first run on release. Looks like it's undergone a lot of changes already, maybe I can muster up some enthusiasm toward the end of the year when all the DLC is done. For a moment I thought I should be feeling bad for Epic, but nah it's like a weird circlejerk of shady business practice by all involved, and they're consenting adults so...

eXalted

Arcane
I'm a backer and still haven't tried it. Will maybe install it when I finish my current XPiratez playthrough in 1-2 years.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is the game playable and enjoyable right now? Or wait till steam release[never ever?]? Compared to bugfree and complete experience of XCOM2 as of AD2020, how PP stands?
There is another major patch coming this month so I would wait for that one and then you can play it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
btw their community manager UnstableVoltage left the company yesterday without a goodbye and we don't know the reason. And no official announcement yet, only their other devs said this in the discord

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
btw their community manager UnstableVoltage left the company yesterday without a goodbye and we don't know the reason. And no official announcement yet, only their other devs said this in the discord
Maybe now he finally willl be able to be objective about this mess of a game, and stop spreading corporate bullshit.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
Maybe now he finally willl be able to be objective about this mess of a game, and stop spreading corporate bullshit.
Here's hoping for some dirty laundry. Who knows, maybe we'll get some quality entertainment out of this yet!

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am so happy this game failed. They had promised a Linux version and after they got Microsoft shekels they backtracked. God's justice is at work. Good riddance.
Where did you get the idea it failed?! They are still alive and making big patches almost every month and all their DLCs are still planned. Now if once it releases on Steam and still gets bashed by people and then has low sales there, then one can talk about failing.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
Nothing is a more resounding sign of the greatest success than having to release big patches implementing key features like the mutation system months after the official release.
But I think you are right, the true failure is yet to come on Steam.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nothing is a more resounding sign of the greatest success than having to release big patches implementing key features like the mutation system months after the official release.
But I think you are right, the true failure is yet to come on Steam.
It is not not much different than 1000s of early access games on Steam, except this one did its early access on Epic and got paid in advance.

Also Kingmaker was released with more bugs and had much more patches to bring it to its final state and it didn't make the game bad.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
It is not not much different than 1000s of early access games on Steam, except this one did its early access on Epic and got paid in advance.

Also Kingmaker was released with more bugs and had much more patches to bring it to its final state and it didn't make the game bad.
True, but Kingmaker had the feeling of a flawed gem from the start, it had soul. With these devs I have the feeling that they don't have a clue what they are doing, and their game feels like a bland xcom clone. Their combat engine is better, but everything else is a lot worse and I don't see it improving. The entire research system is fundamentally flawed, and there is no real sense of progression. I also don't give a shit about the lore. The only I hope I have for this is a total conversion mod reusing their combat engine.
It does feel very much like an early access game, only it's not supposed to be.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Except that it was not presented as early access but 1.0 and, after three fucking years and so many "patches", it looks nothing like the game that was promised.

jac8awol

Arbiter

Good riddance, that guy was so arrogant in his interactions with the community.

A horse of course

Have they added that cute ayy gril from the art when it was first announced? That's all I care about.

True, but Kingmaker had the feeling of a flawed gem from the start, it had soul. With these devs I have the feeling that they don't have a clue what they are doing, and their game feels like a bland xcom clone. Their combat engine is better, but everything else is a lot worse and I don't see it improving. The entire research system is fundamentally flawed, and there is no real sense of progression. I also don't give a shit about the lore. The only I hope I have for this is a total conversion mod reusing their combat engine.
It does feel very much like an early access game, only it's not supposed to be.
That is what I am hoping for too, some Longwar type total conversion. To me after they released the new art, and game direction I sort of felt like that was where the best result would happen if it were to happen. Its still a possibility, because there will be a lot for somebody to work with and the possibility make something really amazing.

Once I saw the new art direction....I just can't understand how they thought that was a good idea, or that it would sell better or look better. To me, that was just a sign somebody with really bad taste and decision making was wrecking things, I still just can't understand the bumpy motorcycle Armour and bland theme they decided to roll with. Its baffling, and seem to say either they had given up or wee retarded beyond belief. I lost almost all hope at that point.

I am so happy this game failed. They had promised a Linux version and after they got Microsoft shekels they backtracked. God's justice is at work. Good riddance.
it's always a tragedy when a game fails. every time it happens we miss a unique, unrepeatable chance. we are the first to lose. more often than not, we are the only one to lose, because the big money has already been earned by the undeserving.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
it's always a tragedy when a game fails. every time it happens we miss a unique, unrepeatable chance. we are the first to lose. more often than not, we are the only one to lose, because the big money has already been earned by the undeserving.

No, we only have to gain when bad developers and bad publishers fail and go out of business. Video gamer public has finite amounts of dollars to spend on buying new games and of hours to actually play them. Everytime they give money and time to worthless garbage is time and money they don't spend on good stuff. Cull the industry, i say. Good riddance to bad garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom