Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cwb1aiP.png

What a crock of shit. LOL.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron

I really don't like how the human enemies can take 3 point blank assault rifle bursts and survive. The animations also still look terrible, blood flies everywhere as bullet after bullet hits without any reaction, and then when the shooting stops, the enemy flinches.
Releasing in 3 months... lol.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty nothing is finalized and many featured mechanics are missing so, technically speaking, this is still an Alpha and, in fact, they never claimed to have reached the Beta milestone. To really finish the game, as presented during FIG campaign (apart, sadly, the ugly artistic turndown), they still need at least a whole year from now.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Pretty nothing is finalized and many featured mechanics are missing so, technically speaking, this is still an Alpha and, in fact, they never claimed to have reached the Beta milestone. To really finish the game, as presented during FIG campaign (apart, sadly, the ugly artistic turndown), they still need at least a whole year from now.
Fortunately Epic provides that.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
Fortunately Epic provides that.
Hah. Now all they need is talent.

lightbane

Arcane
blood flies everywhere as bullet after bullet hits without any reaction, and then when the shooting stops, the enemy flinches.

Ah, that funny and embarrassing bug from the original NU-XCOM that was quickly fixed with mods and later patches IIRC, and then fixed completely for Nucom2.
However, PP failed to learn that, as expected.

eventually with mods like longwar type stuff etc this will be a very nice game IMO, probably at least a year or more away though. Hopefully someone will mod back in the more apocalyptic looking armor and art style into phoenix point. The futuristic motorcycle rider style guys with little pads everywhere look awful. The first time I saw a link to it I thought it was a joke and somebody had photo-shopped a bunch of extra pads all over to make it look ridiculous. I can't believe they actually chose that style on purpose.

The fact that Unstable Voltage is still a belligerent little shit towards backers perfectly encapsulates the dev's complete disregard for the backers who gave them an advance loan. I can't believe after all these delays, art changes, mechanical simplification and managerial incompetence this arsehole still has the gall to treat backers like annoying hanger ons.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

In this video, we explore some of the key differences in mechanics between XCOM and Phoenix Point. This episode - Taking Shots, the Realistic Ballistics System.

So hitting is based on dice rolls, either you miss or hit, no %. How does stats work then? Do you get more favorable rolls or something when you soldier improves? Does the circle get smaller?

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
I don't want to flatter ourselves, but our death animations look way better than those of Phoenixpoint. And after all the money they injected in the project.

passerby

Arcane
So hitting is based on dice rolls, either you miss or hit, no %. How does stats work then? Do you get more favorable rolls or something when you soldier improves?

No, you circlejerking idiot without comprehension skill. I'm surprised they didn't dumb it down yet, but it still works as advertised from the beginning.

Random bullet spread is based on weapon and character stats. Circle radius represents the spread and you can freely aim from the first person perspective and UI will highlight the body part aimed at. Each bullet is traced until it hits something and damage is localised per body part.
It's as realistic as you can get and the UI for all this is surprisingly clear and works smooth. Even graphics from the playable distance looks decent. I'd love JA game with shooting like this, not crazy about aliens, but I'm mildly interested in the game again.

Does the circle get smaller?
Yes.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have not seen the circle change in anyway from the gameplay I have watched. Big gun, big circle etc. And the game is already dumbed down to suit the peanut brain sized Epic cock slurpers like yourself.

Edit:

I see you change your message to put yourself in better light. Common practice here on this thread.
Not to self, quote everyone.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
I see you change your message to put yourself in better light. Common practice here on this thread.
Not to self, quote everyone.

I've fixed some typos/grammar and tamed down edginess by changing "retard" to "idiot" and singled out last question from your quote to answer Yes. Such a change to the message.
I've also done these expansive edits while you were writing your post, my last edit timestamp is before your response.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
No, you circlejerking idiot without comprehension skill.

Slow the fuck down you cretin!
You can convey information without sounding like a frustrated unfucked housewife.

EDIT: I've toned down the edginess by replacing imbecile with cretin. :)
What a difference!?

passerby

Arcane
No, you circlejerking idiot without comprehension skill.

Slow the fuck down you cretin!
You can convey information without sounding like a frustrated unfucked housewife.

Agree, it was unnecessary, this is why I've started to edit the message.

EDIT: I've toned down the edginess by replacing imbecile with cretin. :)
What a difference!?

Actually it was retard and idiot is a bit tonned down, imo. I even considered getting rid of the whole sentence, but then I've spotted notification with retarded rating from Alienman, red his response and decided to left it ;) Can we end this beautiful display of autism now ?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Hey, you started it. I was just questioning stuff in the video, I didn't know it would upset at least two of you that much. I still believe % would be much better than a circle that looks the same regardless of skill, and where each shot is either a hit or a miss based on a random dice roll.

Actually going through the Retcon Raider play-though again, I don't see any aiming skill indication at all. Seems only weapons, helmets and perks increase your aim.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
That what I mean, I thought it had a aiming skill, since people were talking about improving the aim, but it's only perks...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hey, you started it. I was just questioning stuff in the video, I didn't know it would upset at least two of you that much. I still believe % would be much better than a circle that looks the same regardless of skill, and where each shot is either a hit or a miss based on a random dice roll.

Actually going through the Retcon Raider play-though again, I don't see any aiming skill indication at all. Seems only weapons, helmets and perks increase your aim.
Current version of the game does not have accuracy stat but finished game should have it.
And attacks are not % rolls. Each bullet will travel somewhere inside the blue circle and has 50% chance to travel to somewhere inside the yellow circle. Each bullet has its own calculation and can hit anything in between the gun and the direction it is traveling in. it is not like nuXcom but like UFO.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And the game is certainly not dumbed down. It does not have aimed, snap shot, auto shot but it has body part targeting and you can disable body parts and any weapons in them. It also has a stamina stat like UFO as well as willpower stat. Only difference is that you can use willpower to boost how much you can move or attack in one round. So you can even say that it does have snap shot but you need to use your limited resource of willpower to do it instead of reducing your aim like in UFO.

Just like in UFO characters shot start bleeding and losing life unless medkits are used.

Only decline so far is that you cannot drop down to one knee but that is a minor thing (and that happens automatically if you stand next to low cover so that you can use that cover with more effect).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom