Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It has a roll for hit, a 50% dice roll. You either miss or hit based on 50% chance on each bullet. Not sure why he is ignoring that.

Edit:

Why the wtf rating? You can see it in the video:

7n6ZWq6.png

50% chance that the shots will land in the orange circle. Sure, you can still hit him in the 100% circle (upper torso, head, and legs) but where you actually want to shoot only have a 50% chance.

Last edited:

luinthoron

Learned
I would bet on you two since where do I mention Xcom hit calculation in my post? I was just wondering how shooting would be calculated for each individual shots since % would not be used.
You specifically mentioned a roll to see whether it hits or misses with no other outcomes possible. This is exactly what XCOM does. PP, on the other hand, has no roll to hit at all, but rather traces the path of each individual projectile and looks where they end up, be it hitting the target, an obstacle, your own soldier in the line of fire, or any object in the background. Is this explanation simple enough for you to understand?
I actually don't understand this. How does PP 'decide' if you hit or not by 'tracing'? What determines a hit or miss?
If the target is in the path of the projectile (and it doesn't hit another obstacle before), the target is hit. If not, it hits whatever else is in the path.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
It has a roll for hit, a 50% dice roll. You either miss or hit based on 50% chance on each bullet. Not sure why he is ignoring that.

Edit:

7n6ZWq6.png

50% chance that the shots will land in the orange circle. Sure, you can still hit him in the 100% circle (upper torso, head, and legs) but where you actually want to shoot only have a 50% chance.

No, your bullet will miss the exact centerpoint where you are aiming, determined by chance. But whether your shot hits the enemy or not is determined by checking if the bullet hits the enemy. In nuxcom, chance first determines if you hit or not, and then the bullet is aimed to make sure that the dice roll is respected. Which leads to retarded things like being able to miss point blank because your soldier aims into the floor, since the dice says somehow he needs to manage to miss.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure what the difference is what you are saying from what I'm saying? I know that the game uses projectiles, I have not said anything else, just like the original Xcom did. I understand nuXcom had its wacky aiming moments, it didn't use projectiles, I recognize that it's good point blank misses is fixed with the aiming circle in PP. But it doesn't change the fact that the bullets within the circle will be chance based, a roll of luck - like you said. That was the whole point of my initial statement/question - if it was possible to reduce that chance by aiming skill, and well, it's not apparently, only the circle will change by perks and equipment.

I did not mention nuXcom in any of my posts.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
That was the whole point of my initial statement/question - if it was possible to reduce that chance by aiming skill, and well, it's not apparently, only the circle will change by perks and equipment.

Is there a latest picture published with a soldier's attributes?
If the accuracy rating is now absent, then it's out and is replaced by "perks"

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Yeah, I had to look it up by watching a current LP, the only stats to increase are strength, willpower and speed, so no individual accuracy rating. All replaced by perks, and equipment. I saw him pick up a sniper helmet that gave him straight up 20% accuracy.

i0A3Xm4.png

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

Edit:

7n6ZWq6.png

yes, you are correct. in other words, the chance to hit the target is determined by the size of the area of the body that fills the blue circle.
if the target (soldier in the picture above) was at a distance at one meter away, the blue circle would've been filled in totality by the chest area of the target and all the consecutive shots would have 100% chance to "hit".

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
Not sure what the difference is what you are saying from what I'm saying? I know that the game uses projectiles, I have not said anything else, just like the original Xcom did. I understand nuXcom had its wacky aiming moments, it didn't use projectiles, I recognize that it's good point blank misses is fixed with the aiming circle in PP. But it doesn't change the fact that the bullets within the circle will be chance based, a roll of luck - like you said. That was the whole point of my initial statement/question - if it was possible to reduce that chance by aiming skill, and well, it's not apparently, only the circle will change by perks and equipment.

I did not mention nuXcom in any of my posts.
Fair enough, I guess I misunderstood what you meant.

Also, the simplicity of that stat screen is just depressing. I guess I'll just stick with xenonauts 2 after all.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Xeno 2 will have reduced stats too. Strength is gone. Well, at least it was gone the last time I tried it a couple of months ago. Might be back, I don't know. Stress is new though.

Xeno 1:
cHUkIbm.png

Xeno 2:
MDrhlbg.png

geno

Savant
Xeno 2 will have reduced stats too. Strength is gone. Well, at least it was gone the last time I tried it a couple of months ago. Might be back, I don't know. Stress is new though.
Just checked it with the last week build:
iqnGBg1.jpg

Anyway, they're itinerating right now so they could cut some stuff until they release the game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Good to see they went back on that. Weird stat to get rid off in the first place.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only thing that Xeno 2 has that PP will not have is reflexes. But PP will have body part health and separate armor values for it so overall it is incline.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
Only thing that Xeno 2 has that PP will not have is reflexes. But PP will have body part health and separate armor values for it so overall it is incline.
Sure, the engine looks like it has promise, but it'll take modders to build a decent game with it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Sure, the engine looks like it has promise, but it'll take modders to build a decent game with it.
It's unlikely that someone that has purity of vision like Dioxine will get PP mods made anytime soon.
53d091bd2d344597.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well that remains to be seen. I will give the game release time + 6 months before I judge it for real.

But I mean even UFO 1994 has lots of mods that make the game better, not worse.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Combat music in this BB5 is much worse than what we had before. Geoscape one is OK I guess. Music in BB5 is supposed to be from the same guy that did music for UFO.. but I liked what we had before more..

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
SEPTEMBER DEVELOPMENT UPDATE
It’s been three weeks since we released Backer Build 5, our most feature-packed early access build yet. Since that time, our development team has been collecting and poring through all of the feedback, suggestions, and bug reports everyone has submitted.

We’re now working hard to add more content, fix bugs, and make tweaks and adjustments based on feedback and internal testing.

In this update, we’ll take a look at what the team is currently working on.

Environment
We’re adding new assets to alien maps. These will provide more opportunity for cover and create more visually varied maps for the different alien base types.

Speaking of cover, we’re working on how the game recognizes low and high cover. In Phoenix Point, all physical objects on the tactical map act as cover by providing a physical barrier which can block certain rounds. The difference between high and low cover affects how your soldiers position themselves when standing directly adjacent to it. These improvements should unify the visual indicators of soldiers in cover with the mechanics of how that cover is offering protection.

Level Design
While Phoenix Point makes use of procedurally generated maps, some people felt like they were often seeing the same map or very similar maps. We’re now making some changes to the procedural generation algorithms to give more visual variety to all levels.

We have also updated enemy spawns on the alien maps to give a greater variety of enemies.

Tactical
The tactical team is working on several different items right now:

• AI Improvement: We’re giving the enemy AI a further overhaul so that they will now use the free aim system to target vital body parts along with using different damage types correctly.

• UI Tweaks: Health bars on structural targets caused a lot of clutter, so we’re removing them in instances where they are not required.

• Control of Civilians: We are also adding the functionality for the player to take control of civilians once a soldier “tags” them by moving adjacent to them.

• Camera: The camera is getting some love - we’re making the movement more dynamic.

• Balance: Damage predictions for shooting through windows was off, so we’re fixing that.

• Animations: We’re also generally updating and improving animations across the board.

Game Design
The game design team is working with the writers to finalize the tutorials. We’re also updating the personal traits track for player soldiers.

Geoscape
The Geoscape team is working with the writers to complete the Phoenixpedia. They’re also working on adding in-game achievements.

Based on feedback, they’re also improving the pathfinding of aircraft when flying to locations.

SOLDIER CUSTOMIZATION
We’re excited to be able to share with you some more details on how we’re approaching soldier customization. We know this is something you’ve been asking us to talk about!

Firstly, soldier names: While we haven’t yet started to collect backer names for the soldier roster pre-population, it is already possible to manually rename your soldiers in the equip screen.

For those backers waiting to submit names to the roster, now’s a good time to inform you of the criteria for acceptable names:

• First Name (10 letters max)

• Last Name (12 letters max)

• Nickname/Call sign (10 letters max).

• Latin characters only (diacritical marks are allowed)
We have to place a limit on the length of names to ensure that longer names can be displayed correctly in the UI. Limiting names to Latin characters also ensures no issues with our fonts. We’ll have more information closer to release when we start to collect names via email.

Visual Customization
Along with selecting a male or female body type for each soldier, you will also have a selection of skin tones, faces, hair and facial hair along with tattoos and voice.

You can also customize the colour and pattern(s) of your armour.

An example of the work-in-progress customisation interface

All_In_1.jpg

An example of the work-in-progress customisation interface

Some examples of facial customisation

faces.jpg

Some examples of facial customisation

We will be continuing these updates through until launch to keep you informed of what we’re working on. We’re under 3 months from our release and we’re really excited to see the game coming together and taking shape.

We still have a long way to go, but we’re on the home straight and we can see the finish line.

Once again, we wish to thank all of our backers, pre-order customers and fans for your continued support of Phoenix Point over the last couple of years. The wait is almost over.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I know I'm against the "flow" but this actually seems to be shaping up nicely to me.
Maybe. The biggest problems of current build is balance of skills. They said 0 about it. I hope they can fine tune the whole thing nicely until release or this is going to be a short lived experience.

Also maps seem to still be too small compared to range of vision that players get. It is another Xcom like game that has none of the exploration and dread of UFO games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is even worse than nuXcom games in this regard. Both Xcom 1 and Xcom 2 have bigger maps where you need good 10 turns to get from one border to another with limited vision that can uncover new aliens eager to end your existence. In PP maps are made in a way that if you are standing in the middle of the map you can see aliens to all its edges. And players can see whole maps at start which just makes it worse (it means maps start without any fog of war).

If this stays like this at release, it is going to need modders to fix it a few years down the line. And if modders are even going to bother will depend on what kind of game Firaxis releases with Xcom 3.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
watched some gameplay

-there is no sense of danger for soldiers while playing, total boredfest
-killing opponents is like completing a formality
-totally retarded AI
-this game should be called Overwatch: the Abuse
-lack of restricted soldier FOV and fog of war really hurts the game
-small maps that are traversed easily by abusing mobility perks
-bad lightning and textures. everything feels like it's made from cheap plastic
-visiting heavens has no strategic weight
-all geoscape part of the game is quantity over quality that will get old fast
-the writing is mediocre or below, stiff and insipid. does not paint the mood of a dying world

-you refuel the aircaft AT EVERY STOP with no cost involved? lol
-also the aircraft moves ONLY between interest points and can cover half of South America

There will be no proper balancing at launch and even after that, only modders can save this shit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom