Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah. Tech stagnation that allowed gaming for cheap seems to be over. Bloat is back.
I expect my next laptop to cost something on worse side of 1000€. (Gotta be laptop, because reasons.)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My stationary I'm using now is a five year old Acer Predator. Never had a better or a more reliable computer. The only thing I changed/upgraded is the GPU. From a 770 to a 1060.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Backer Build One is available to anyone who backed Phoenix Point during the Fig campaign at the "Digital Extras Edition" or higher. It is also available to customers who pre-ordered the "Luxury Digital Edition" or higher. The Backer Build may be listed in your package as "early access" or "pre-alpha access".

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
They apparently removed the willpower-free multiple shots, replaced by "gunslinger" ability.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
They apparently removed the willpower-free multiple shots, replaced by "gunslinger" ability.
Not at all. You can still take multiple shots with your action points. The gunslinger ability allows the sniper to burn will points to keep firing the pistol, which doesn't cost AP. He can still fire it multiple times normally using his AP.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That is some atrocious inventory UI :(
Right, controller support....

Reminds me of Gothic, with the endless scrolling.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Really like that inventory is there at least. About 30 minutes in, you just went through the cargo things found on the map. I guess it's possible to create a grenadier, just load up a guy with a ton of grenades?

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Not at all. You can still take multiple shots with your action points. The gunslinger ability allows the sniper to burn will points to keep firing the pistol, which doesn't cost AP. He can still fire it multiple times normally using his AP.
Ok, I probably missed the part when you take multiple shots with AP. Better this way.

The inventory UI is just a placeholder at the moment. It doesn't look great but it's functional.
We'll see if it will evolve into something more mouse friendly than current one, that is clearly controller-centric as many feared.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
I guess it's possible to create a grenadier, just load up a guy with a ton of grenades?
pSWWU1g.png

xmd1997

Educated
Really like that inventory is there at least. About 30 minutes in, you just went through the cargo things found on the map. I guess it's possible to create a grenadier, just load up a guy with a ton of grenades?
Interesting confirmation from the stream is the fact that grenades will no longer be 100% accurate in the final game which makes me happy.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Ok so I spent about 30 minutes on this. A bit too early to tell if it'll be good. Feels like a middle ground between X-COM and nuXCOM.

Good:
+ I like the free aim system a lot. Really makes a huge difference to finding the monster's weak spot. I suppose this is the best way for "optimization" of shots when using 3D models with different body parts instead of sprites with regularly-sized hitboxes. I can imagine it being used most of the time in-game, especially with so many environmental objects.
+ Reaction fire, baby. Feels good but honestly I don't know how it's calculated. Seems like everyone is reaction firing someone else even when APs are spent.
+ Bleeding, inventory management, etc, these are all in. One of my guys ran out of ammo, so I picked up an alien's machine gun, only to have it break after firing 2 rounds. The guy was stuck in a spasming animation after that :lol:
+ The boss fight is really cool. Comparatively, the other aliens don't seem to pose much of a threat. Crab men are a joke. You just have to side step them and pew pew their heads.

Bad:
- Lack of manual crouch is annoying AF, not only because it affects your hitbox, but also because you're going to friendly fire your pal if you're "auto crouched' next to cover but he isn't (and the enemy should theoretically be in your LOS, unobstructed). Manual crouch has to be in for this free aiming thing to work properly.
- UI is overly convoluted (I prefer X-COM's number-bars), but as UnstableVoltage said, the team's going to fix it. On a positive note, it hasn't given me that "for consoles" feel (but then I only spent 30 minutes on it).
- Hard to tell at times where there's slight elevation, and where dropped items are.
- The cinematic camera is quite bad. I hope you can disable it in future.
- No fog of war :decline:
- 360 vision :decline:

Feels like X-COM because of:
+ simulationist mechanics + emergent gameplay (see 'running out of ammo' example)
+ feeling of impossible odds
+ TUs

Feels like nuXCOM because of:
- some hand-holding elements (e.g. cover system)
- cinematic camera

On a side note, I'd like to see bigger maps with less convoluted terrain. Would be interesting to see how that compares to X-COM since that had a lot of wide open spaces too.

Last edited:

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
Ok so I spent about 30 minutes on this. A bit too early to tell if it'll be good. Feels like a middle ground between X-COM and nuXCOM.

Good:
+ I like the free aim system a lot. Really makes a huge difference to finding the monster's weak spot. I suppose this is the best way for "optimization" of shots when using 3D models with different body parts instead of sprites with regularly-sized hitboxes. I can imagine it being used most of the time in-game, especially with so many environmental objects.
+ Reaction fire, baby. Feels good but honestly I don't know how it's calculated. Seems like everyone is reaction firing someone else even when APs are spent.
+ Bleeding, inventory management, etc, these are all in. One of my guys ran out of ammo, so I picked up an alien's machine gun, only to have it break after firing 2 rounds. The guy was stuck in a spasming animation after that :lol:
+ The boss fight is really cool. Comparatively, the other aliens don't seem to pose much of a threat. Crab men are a joke. You just have to side step them and pew pew their heads.

Bad:
- Lack of manual crouch is annoying AF, not only because it affects your hitbox, but also because you're going to friendly fire your pal if you're "auto crouched' next to cover but he isn't (and the enemy should theoretically be in your LOS, unobstructed). Manual crouch has to be in for this free aiming thing to work properly.
- UI is overly convoluted (I prefer X-COM's number-bars), but as UnstableVoltage said, the team's going to fix it. On a positive note, it hasn't given me that "for consoles" feel (but then I only spent 30 minutes on it).
- Hard to tell at times where there's slight elevation, and where dropped items are.
- The cinematic camera is quite bad. I hope you can disable it in future.
- No fog of war :decline:
- 360 vision :decline:

Feels like X-COM because of:
+ simulationist mechanics + emergent gameplay (see 'running out of ammo' example)
+ feeling of impossible odds
+ TUs

Feels like nuXCOM because of:
- some hand-holding elements (e.g. cover system)
- cinematic camera

On a side note, I'd like to see bigger maps with less convoluted terrain. Would be interesting to see how that compares to X-COM since that had a lot of wide open spaces too.
Valid points. What I can say right now on a couple of things. There will be fog or war, it just isn't implemented yet (you will have the "mist" too). With regards to return fire... it is triggered automatically on any enemy that has a LoS on the attacker, regardless of which enemy you fire at. It doesn't require AP, only ammo.
Cameras are bad - we know this. They will be fixed. (Cameras are a lot of work). You will be able to disable and skip cinematic cameras. There is a known issue with trying to use alien equipment in this build (it isn't fully implemented at this stage).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom