Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the next game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop - coming December

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    RIP.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Yeah. Tech stagnation that allowed gaming for cheap seems to be over. Bloat is back.
    I expect my next laptop to cost something on worse side of 1000€. (Gotta be laptop, because reasons.)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    For a good, almost great, gaming laptop at "budget" price I can sugget you the Acer Predator Helios 300.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Has glowing keyboard buttons. Disposing of bodies of people that see me handling it will be challenging.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    You can disable the glow.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    That would be less messy.

^ Top  
  7. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    My stationary I'm using now is a five year old Acer Predator. Never had a better or a more reliable computer. The only thing I changed/upgraded is the GPU. From a 770 to a 1060.

^ Top  
  8. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    the beta is only for the kickstarter backers?

^ Top  
  9. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth

^ Top  
  10. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    Backer Build live streaming by UnstableVoltage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DutuQlmcIhk

- procedural maps = demo map with slightly differently positioned building
    - ugly inventory interface, suitable for controller

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    ^ Top  
  11. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    They apparently removed the willpower-free multiple shots, replaced by "gunslinger" ability.

^ Top  
  12. UnstableVoltage Snapshot Games Developer

UnstableVoltage
    Not at all. You can still take multiple shots with your action points. The gunslinger ability allows the sniper to burn will points to keep firing the pistol, which doesn't cost AP. He can still fire it multiple times normally using his AP.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    That is some atrocious inventory UI :(
    Right, controller support....

Reminds me of Gothic, with the endless scrolling.

^ Top  
  14. UnstableVoltage Snapshot Games Developer

UnstableVoltage
    The inventory UI is just a placeholder at the moment. It doesn't look great but it's functional.

^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Really like that inventory is there at least. About 30 minutes in, you just went through the cargo things found on the map. I guess it's possible to create a grenadier, just load up a guy with a ton of grenades?

^ Top  
  16. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    Ok, I probably missed the part when you take multiple shots with AP. Better this way.

We'll see if it will evolve into something more mouse friendly than current one, that is clearly controller-centric as many feared.

^ Top  
  17. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    [​IMG]

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. xmd1997 Educated

xmd1997
    Interesting confirmation from the stream is the fact that grenades will no longer be 100% accurate in the final game which makes me happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Build your own laptop from scratch.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Wulfstand Prophet

Wulfstand
    Eagerly waiting for gameplay videos.

^ Top  
  21. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Patientily waiting for that beta key. Anytime now...

^ Top  
  22. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

[​IMG]

• nice nice x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Got mine. Downloading.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

:)

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Ok so I spent about 30 minutes on this. A bit too early to tell if it'll be good. Feels like a middle ground between X-COM and nuXCOM.

Good:
    + I like the free aim system a lot. Really makes a huge difference to finding the monster's weak spot. I suppose this is the best way for "optimization" of shots when using 3D models with different body parts instead of sprites with regularly-sized hitboxes. I can imagine it being used most of the time in-game, especially with so many environmental objects.
    + Reaction fire, baby. Feels good but honestly I don't know how it's calculated. Seems like everyone is reaction firing someone else even when APs are spent.
    + Bleeding, inventory management, etc, these are all in. One of my guys ran out of ammo, so I picked up an alien's machine gun, only to have it break after firing 2 rounds. The guy was stuck in a spasming animation after that :lol:
    + The boss fight is really cool. Comparatively, the other aliens don't seem to pose much of a threat. Crab men are a joke. You just have to side step them and pew pew their heads.

Bad:
    - Lack of manual crouch is annoying AF, not only because it affects your hitbox, but also because you're going to friendly fire your pal if you're "auto crouched' next to cover but he isn't (and the enemy should theoretically be in your LOS, unobstructed). Manual crouch has to be in for this free aiming thing to work properly.
    - UI is overly convoluted (I prefer X-COM's number-bars), but as UnstableVoltage said, the team's going to fix it. On a positive note, it hasn't given me that "for consoles" feel (but then I only spent 30 minutes on it).
    - Hard to tell at times where there's slight elevation, and where dropped items are.
    - The cinematic camera is quite bad. I hope you can disable it in future.
    - No fog of war :decline:
    - 360 vision :decline:

Feels like X-COM because of:
    + simulationist mechanics + emergent gameplay (see 'running out of ammo' example)
    + feeling of impossible odds
    + TUs

Feels like nuXCOM because of:
    - some hand-holding elements (e.g. cover system)
    - cinematic camera

On a side note, I'd like to see bigger maps with less convoluted terrain. Would be interesting to see how that compares to X-COM since that had a lot of wide open spaces too.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)