Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Nightfall

Novice
From Resetera:

Some comments in the Phoenix Point reddit:

According to what UV said on Discord, even if every single backer refunded, they'd still be in the black after Epic's deal. That means Epic gave them AT LEAST 800,000 dollars, likely significantly more.
Epic offers more than straight up money. They also provide sale guarantees which make it an offer very hard to reject specially when the future of your studio might be secured with it.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Some quotes from discord from UnstableVoltage

Keep in mind that we knew there would be backlash. We knew there would be refunds. If we had to refund 100% of currently pre-orders, we'd still be in the black. We didn't make the decision lightly
Obviously I can't go into details about the deal - but it's for a minimum guarantee - which means Epic will guarantee that we will sell X number of copies. Even if we don't hit that number, they still pay us.
Again, let me just be clear. Yes, we're being "paid" by Epic (it's actually a minimum sales guarantee). This wasn't a decision we made over night
We knew there would be upset, anger and outrage. We knew there would be refunds. This was all factored into our decision.
Still a lot with a minimum guarantee. Enough to keep the studio running for years to come - and that was the point of this. It significantly reduces our risk on launch and means we can continue to provide content and updates

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Obviously I can't go into details about the deal - but it's for a minimum guarantee - which means Epic will guarantee that we will sell X number of copies. Even if we don't hit that number, they still pay us.

This arrangement implies a lack of confidence in their product. I wonder what the agreed upon number of sold copies is.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, nothing interesting there. Such deals obviously work for devs who don't put much faith in their work and gladly accept a set amount of cash upfront instead of providing the widest possible access to property build a fanbase (also for future releases).

That last part is pure PR bullshit through. One of the most worrying things about these "PC store exclusives" is that it strongly incentivizes devs like these to just release the game, take the cash and not give the tiniest of shits as soon as they notice it's not selling well. Which it obviously won't more often than not.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw, you that requested refunds. Did you get some kind of confirmation e-mail or something? I got nothing after requesting. Just wanna make sure nothing was screwed up.

PanteraNera

Arcane

This arrangement implies a lack of confidence in their product. I wonder what the agreed upon number of sold copies is.
Agreed.

Well they want to probably play it safe, since they seem to not find the sweet spot (sales wise) between X-Com and XCOM.
They did a lot to generate more money (for example changing the visual style, vibe and tone for all the factions and the aliens into something more mainstream).

One thing the Epic Store deal might mean is = creative freedom, as they as UnstableVoltage put it do not depend on the sales, so they could be taking more risks. I am curious if they still would have the horror aspect of the game as it was originally planned if they had the Epic deal sooner.

We will never know.

It is amazing that after all that time, this game still could turn out to be a new masterpiece, a mediocre mix of X-Com and XCOM, or a soulless XCOM-clone fail.

pm_675

Arbiter
Btw, you that requested refunds. Did you get some kind of confirmation e-mail or something? I got nothing after requesting. Just wanna make sure nothing was screwed up.

No, I didn't. Then again the mail said that they will answer in up to 28 days

JBro

Arbiter
>no more Linux version
>no Steam for a year so you can't even play it through Proton
DOUBLE CUCKED

Luckily for me, my attention is exclusive to other games.

I know there are a couple of you guys still holding out hope but let me crush it by getting you to answer a question.

When has reneged promises in game development ever resulted in good games? I don't mean internal desicions to cut things that weren't announced. I mean core promises that suddenly can't be kept. Special credit if you can answer this with a crowdfunded game.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I honestly wonder if they have no idea how much people hate the epic store at the moment

At this point, it's safe to say they have no idea about anything at all. So glad I got my refund way back.

EDIT: Also, thank god for the existence of Xenonauts 2.

LootSeeker

Educated
Refund for $115 initiated. Fuck them and especially Epic. I'll install herpes before that client. Now this game has become a zombie game for all who refunded; we must wait 28 days later.

If we had to refund 100% of currently pre-orders, we'd still be in the black. We didn't make the decision lightly

When you completely swindle people out of money, you're supposed to leave them with a smile on their face so they don't realise they've been fucked over until after you've long pissed off. At least kiss us before fucking us you entitled bellend.

This confirms what I suspected. The game was changed due to outside influence and financial backing. After that, pleasing backers was irelevant. This really came out in the beligerancy of Unstable Voltage on the Codex. I'm old enough and done enough buisness transactions to know when someone is no longer interested in your money. The attitude changes alone should clue you in. They dismiss your concerns because they know you can just walk and it won't affect them.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Keep in mind that we knew there would be backlash. We knew there would be refunds. If we had to refund 100% of currently pre-orders, we'd still be in the black. We didn't make the decision lightly

Still a lot with a minimum guarantee. Enough to keep the studio running for years to come - and that was the point of this. It significantly reduces our risk on launch and means we can continue to provide content and updates

This reminds me of this article from August last year: "Phoenix Point crowdfunding breaks $2 million - here's how it was done"

So I guess Epic pays them *at least* 2 million...? Shit, that would be really tempting.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another big "FUCK YOU!" in the face who believed in you, Julian. Well done: you were a some kind of myth of my youth, better don't say what I think now of you.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think we can bury this picture/dream for real now:

d5o0hzp-fbbe3721-0ce1-4508-86cb-4a079a5c8461.jpg

Picture is from 2012, according to the deviant art page.

Trithne

Erudite

This reminds me of this article from August last year: "Phoenix Point crowdfunding breaks $2 million - here's how it was done"

So I guess Epic pays them *at least* 2 million...? Shit, that would be really tempting.

Supposedly it's enough that even if every backer refunded they would still be in the black.

Financially, that is. No amount of wiping their asses with dollar bills will wipe away the shame.

Trithne

Erudite
I'm not going to bother pirating it. There's plenty of other stuff I can play for a year. I'll get it when it comes out on Steam/GoG, and is at half price or better.

And they can enjoy getting 70% of that half price, until then they get 88% of nothing.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm absolutely gonna steal it from the Internet for free—and with a paid VPN, so that even in Amerikwan I won't have to worry about my ISP receiving nastygrams. This is the first year I've pirated any games since before I registered for the Codex, and the Le Epic Flossnight Store is what tipped the balance.

See, this way the developers get their cut (.3%) of a huge bribe, and I get a free game. Everyone wins!

cruelio

Savant

Again, let me just be clear. Yes, we're being "paid" by Epic (it's actually a minimum sales guarantee). This wasn't a decision we made over night
We knew there would be upset, anger and outrage. We knew there would be refunds. This was all factored into our decision.

Lmfoa how much money is epic dishing out? Who’s the intern over there who pitched phoenix point by some old dude is the steam killer, lets give them enough money to keep their studio running for years?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom