Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope that facility building screen is a placeholder because if all we get is a bunch of images we place into boxes this is a big :decline: compared to nuxcom or ufo.

luinthoron

Learned
I hope that facility building screen is a placeholder because if all we get is a bunch of images we place into boxes this is a big :decline: compared to nuxcom or ufo.
Eh... I can see how nuXCOMs may have seemed better with actually showing what the facilities looked like inside, although the side view and inability to actually view them in battlescape don't really make a convincing case for calling that better either. UFO was very much the same, though, with only showing an icon representing the particular facility, so if anything, also including names makes this an improvement over that. Not saying it wouldn't be even better to have a nuXCOM-inspired but top-down view of the actual facilities and people, but it certainly isn't worse than the original UFO in any way.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Eh... I can see how nuXCOMs may have seemed better with actually showing what the facilities looked like inside, although the side view and inability to actually view them in battlescape don't really make a convincing case for calling that better either. UFO was very much the same, though, with only showing an icon representing the particular facility, so if anything, also including names makes this an improvement over that. Not saying it wouldn't be even better to have a nuXCOM-inspired but top-down view of the actual facilities and people, but it certainly isn't worse than the original UFO in any way.
It is worse than 1994 ufo. It looked like you were making a base, not putting images into boxes.
It is worse than nuXcom because the production level in nuXcom1 and nuXcom2 is 2 levels above this "placeholder".

They cannot even match a 1994 game.. and I was hoping for something at least trying to compete with nuXcom. Especially when they sold out to Epic to put more money into the game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
A hardcore Gollop fan unearthed an embedded secret message from the last update.
steamworkshop-webupload-previewfile-121975311-preview.png

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

So they made screenshotss of facilities of how they look in battlescape during a base invasion and they're using them in the base construction window.
Lazy, cheap and shallow as fuck.
And those atrocious white building icons are here to stay it seems
Behind that panel is the geoscape, so there is no 3D representation of the base you're building even if the 3D assets are there.

phantom-doctrine-review-tactical-espionage-action.jpg

^this should've been the proper way to depict the base.

it seems that Epic exclusivity deal does not come with fresh new talent

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes that screenshot from Phantom Doctrine is pretty much what I expected.
If anyone has access to their forums or twitter, can you please and respectfully call them hacks for this lazy job?!

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ebsZTTH.jpg

They can't delay the game for many months to add something purely cosmetic (it's not, BTW, it's immersion and it wouldn't take months for sure), they can delay only on the basis of incompetence, lazyness, mismanagement and disorganization. Or to revamp a perfect original artistic vision in a shitty one.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They need to be linked to Phantom Doctrine one as proof that you don't need Firaxis's funds to not suck at your job.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't understand. All of that shit is going to be in-game, so why couldn't they just create a top-down view of the layout and plonk it there?

Or, if the consistency of size/scale is going to be an issue, why not just hire this dude (or some freelancer from Pakistan willing to accept sweatshop rates) to render mock-ups of your shit?

I'm asking this unironically btw (though I know it will never get a reply from Snapshot, so it might as well be rhetorical). I really want to know what the issue is that makes it so expensive to replicate what X-COM or Xenonauts managed to do.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Think they went in on this from the wrong direction. Making real fancy models and animations, like nuXcom and kinda forgot, or quickly realized that everything else had to suffer because of it. Everything coming out about this project just screams haphazard to me, except the models and the cosmetics, because that was the most important part of nuXcom you know!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
From discord:
Retcon RaiderToday at 8:44 PM
That's one thing I'm unclear on - whether or not the injury and psychosis system will still be making it in.
I didn't see any permanent maiming injuries, addictions, or cybernetics so far.

Retcon RaiderToday at 8:45 PM
Well, the political sensitivity was on the use of the term "Sanity".

edit.
Retcon RaiderToday at 9:06 PM
But yeah, the stealth attribute and most stealth-related items don't seem to do anything.
I did find some ammo for a crossbow, though. That was exciting. But no actual crossbow.

Last edited:

geno

Savant
I'm watching Retcon Raider video and I'm liking it. Yes, the art direction is too bland (be honest, this game never had a chance to look good) and a lot of features are missing despite the game releasing in 3 months. I honestly expect the Epic exclusive to be an extended early access and while it doesn't mean the game will be magically fixed, I hope that when Steam/GOG versions releases, the updates and community mods make the game closer to what I was expecting.
Don't gonna lie, I'm kinda worried about the 4X element of the game. I just can't see it.

Swigen

Arbiter
I really don’t think it’s that big a big deal if your soldiers get inflicted with retard, no one will complain.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I watched a bit of streams yesterday of latest beta and it is looking very good atm. There are bugs and balance issues but what I have seen is very promising.
I don't know if this will be an excellent game at release but it has a potential to be one at some point after release (by the time it comes to Steam for sure).

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
UkqsuLy.jpg

They are unable to release anything on time and maintain promises, even if their lives depended on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom