Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Mazisky

Magister
It looks like Xcom 2 with cheap art, expecially the environment...too soon to judge btw, i'll wait more infos

It reminds me the first UFo from Cenega

234946_5.jpg

GrainWetski

Arcane
How very original, Gollop.

Guess this is just a cash grab. Too bad.

tactical mechanics of the Firaxis reboot.

The worst part of FiraXCOM. Good job, man.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't mind him making a NuXcom looking game as long as he makes it more complex. Hold your horses people until we know details.

This screenshot just might be like nuXcom camera which is just one of the options and can be turned off.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't mind him making a NuXcom looking game as long as he makes it more complex. Hold your horses people until we know details.
This screenshot just might be like nuXcom camera which is just one of the options and can be turned off.
Well, if that quote is correct, Gollop did say right out that Phoenix Point will have the "tactical mechanics of the Firaxis reboot". The strategic layer will be better, but if the combat is essentially the same, yeah.

Mustawd

I'm pretty sure 90% of you folks will pay (me too) for a fantasy Xcom game.

Avenger=Castle

Commander=King

Bradford=Knight

Tygan=Alchemist

Shen=Blacksmith

Geoscape= Old paper world map

Alien invasion=Undead\Demons invasion

Yeah, i'm pretty sure i'll buy it but it's just a dream, every developers do 4x fantasy stuff, noone follow the Xcom path. Would be really fresh

Gollop had the chance..but he preferred to go with Scifi-Already boring-brown palette

LoL someone kickstarter a game like this pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i'll buy 10 copies

PS: Massive Chalice has horribad art direction, it's so confusing that can be even scifi

PS2: Forgot Battle Brothers, it seems really promising but i'll wait final release

How would you do progression in a fantasy xcom? In the scifi setting it fits well since you capture the alien weapons and research them, and technological progress is fast in the modern era. A little more tricky with fantasy, which mostly are static settings or progress over long time periods.
In Zodiac Legion, the way we plan to do it is to have magic return to the world. I know it is a bit cliched, but it would be an easy way to have "tech" improvement in a short period of time.
The player would then send his heroes looking for artifacts and tomes of magic to help him unlock ancient magic arcane, and get new spells and enchanted equipment.
So basically, as it is a rediscovery, it allows us to change the "tech level" pretty fast.
The tecnology itself would of course be fixed, as it would make no sense otherwise, but with the improvement of magic crafting technique, a previously unaffordable high end suit of plate armor might become trivially easy to craft.

I hope there's more emphasis on character development and other rpg mechanics. xcom was fun, but all the dudes played the same way but with different stats.

Character development would be quite tricky, as we would also need a lot of characters to throw to the meat grinder, so we cannot do anything approaching any RPG when it comes to heroes development :
Even picking perks and raising stats for characters would become terribly boring with a casualty rate that would approach what it was in X-COM.

We plan to do it by having very little decisions to make during the first few levels, where characters are considered expendable, and many more lately.

By the way..what's the hold up? Design? Coding? Art? Music?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm pretty sure 90% of you folks will pay (me too) for a fantasy Xcom game.

Avenger=Castle

Commander=King

Bradford=Knight

Tygan=Alchemist

Shen=Blacksmith

Geoscape= Old paper world map

Alien invasion=Undead\Demons invasion

Yeah, i'm pretty sure i'll buy it but it's just a dream, every developers do 4x fantasy stuff, noone follow the Xcom path. Would be really fresh

Gollop had the chance..but he preferred to go with Scifi-Already boring-brown palette

LoL someone kickstarter a game like this pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i'll buy 10 copies

PS: Massive Chalice has horribad art direction, it's so confusing that can be even scifi

PS2: Forgot Battle Brothers, it seems really promising but i'll wait final release

How would you do progression in a fantasy xcom? In the scifi setting it fits well since you capture the alien weapons and research them, and technological progress is fast in the modern era. A little more tricky with fantasy, which mostly are static settings or progress over long time periods.
In Zodiac Legion, the way we plan to do it is to have magic return to the world. I know it is a bit cliched, but it would be an easy way to have "tech" improvement in a short period of time.
The player would then send his heroes looking for artifacts and tomes of magic to help him unlock ancient magic arcane, and get new spells and enchanted equipment.
So basically, as it is a rediscovery, it allows us to change the "tech level" pretty fast.
The tecnology itself would of course be fixed, as it would make no sense otherwise, but with the improvement of magic crafting technique, a previously unaffordable high end suit of plate armor might become trivially easy to craft.

I hope there's more emphasis on character development and other rpg mechanics. xcom was fun, but all the dudes played the same way but with different stats.

Character development would be quite tricky, as we would also need a lot of characters to throw to the meat grinder, so we cannot do anything approaching any RPG when it comes to heroes development :
Even picking perks and raising stats for characters would become terribly boring with a casualty rate that would approach what it was in X-COM.

We plan to do it by having very little decisions to make during the first few levels, where characters are considered expendable, and many more lately.

By the way..what's the hold up? Design? Coding? Art? Music?

For my game itself? or for these specific parts?
The thing is the framework (ie both strategic and tactical parts + AI + UI) needs to be complete to start iterating and testing the design itself, otherwise, it would just be theorycrafting, so these elements are not set yet (so it is mostly the coding, and the various hassle that eat development time, like paperwork or the website).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, if that quote is correct, Gollop did say right out that Phoenix Point will have the "tactical mechanics of the Firaxis reboot". The strategic layer will be better, but if the combat is essentially the same, yeah.
That still means nothing. Unless for people it is make or break if games uses action points or not. But even with two action system you can make it way more complex and intelligent than what nuXcom has.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Look at the bottom right corner of the picture - "MOV 4/12".

I know it's not Time Units, but if those are movement/action points, it's already an upgrade over than Nu-XCOM.

Athelas

Arcane
I would've thought making a full-on 3d game with those cinematic close-ups like the new XCOM would be too expensive for what is presumably a small indie company. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Though that screenshot looks more like a mock-up to me - the background even looks hand-painted.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get what you guys have a problem with,again.
Is it because the game wont be 2d?
I like the picture, seems like it will be a more tactical/detailed nuXCOM of shorts. Thats great.
Aiming body parts, action points. What better did you all expect from a first Pic?

Mazisky

Magister
I don't get what you guys have a problem with,again.
Is it because the game wont be 2d?
I like the picture, seems like it will be a more tactical/detailed nuXCOM of shorts. Thats great.
Aiming body parts, action points. What better did you all expect from a first Pic?

The graphics looks nice but i'm worried about the environment\art style, kinda apocalyptic.

I'm afraid to play into industrial zones with all brown colors

orcinator

Liturgist
Look at the bottom right corner of the picture - "MOV 4/12".

I know it's not Time Units, but if those are movement/action points, it's already an upgrade over than Nu-XCOM.

They might let you perform more than two move actions per turn but I'm worried about there being a limit on the other actions you can take.

Though what I'm really worried about is the lack of proper projectiles, which seems likely since the aliens come in weird shapes and making hitboxes for all that would be 2hard.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I liked what they did to PSI, classic X-com PSI was too OP and let you win missions without leaving the ship. Maybe it was worse in TB mode or something (but a lot of things in Apocalypse were worse in TB mode.
Psi was weak as fuck. I liked the need of energy and line of sight, but most aliens were nearly psi-immune and psi was generally weak.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Eh. The aliens that used weapons (and not just their bodies) were vulnerable to psi. Both the blue furries and doughmen. It's still pretty useful, even if it only really targets those two types.

Mazisky

Magister
New screen

2.jpg

I fuckin hate those industrial boring environments in almost any game who has them, really, pls Julian do some city, forest, desert, snow, whatever but no industrial iron pipes boredom

Aliens looks interesting and weird enough tho

EDIT: in a fresh interview Julian confirmed there will be a lot of environments, so there is still hope, read the interview (GAMEWATCHER), lot of interesting stuff like Air, Sea and Land battles, lot of promising features and depth!!!!!

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Haha. When I saw the screenshot the first thing I thought was how cool the dirty environment looked. Kinda reminds me of Resident Evil or Silent Hill almost. A sharp contrast to the XCOMs for sure.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That interview is great! Love the angle they're going for. Alien virus taking over. Low tech biological enemy that evolves. World already fallen with a few scattered havens left. The multiple human factions remind me of apocalypse. Goddamn, Julian. Do give us a worthy successor to the amazing Ufo.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That interview is great! Love the angle they're going for. Alien virus taking over. Low tech biological enemy that evolves. World already fallen with a few scattered havens left. The multiple human factions remind me of apocalypse. Goddamn, Julian. Do give us a worthy successor to the amazing Ufo.
Tbh, I'd much rather have a worthy version of Apocalypse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom