Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will wait a bit because I really believe they will back down after noticing the backlash. I honestly wonder if they have no idea how much people hate the epic store at the moment

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Free DLC will apply to both Steam and GOG, tyhis is the only thing that I am certain of.

not sure. i think the victory dance animations DLC, the hat pack, the battle-royale mode and the premium weapon pack will surely find their way on steam but i think the MASTERCHIEF armor skins are xbox exclusive and the Fortnite skins exclusive to epic launcher.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Times like this, I miss TB. Say what you will about him and there certainly was a lot to say, but he was the most pro-consumer guy in the business. He would be tearing them a new asshole when developers do this after having Figs/Kickstarters/Early Access. If they hadn't had a Fig it would be whatever, but this is a real kick in the balls to backers.

Might as well make it Xbox One exclusive and ask backers "Don't you guys have Xboxes?" at this point. All or nothing.

Cross

Arcane
I will wait a bit because I really believe they will back down after noticing the backlash.
They can't. They wouldn't announce this if they hadn't already signed a contract with Epic, meaning there would be a fine for contract breach.

Last edited:

Puteo

Learned
I can't wait for the first epic-exclusive dev to leak the amount of money that Epic is paying them for this.

I think it has to be a lot. Sure, devs are often stupid but there's been far too many switching to Epic for it just to be a paltry amount.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, I should feel some satisfaction... after all, I already long refunded since they broke their Linux promises. Shared suffering makes it better, right?
Not really, I'm actually even angrier now.

What an incredible dick move towards everyone. True stab in the back.

I honestly wonder if they have no idea how much people hate the epic store at the moment
I don't think people hate Epic per se.
This is about fake and completely unnecessary exclusivity forced down your throat.
If a game had always been announced from the get-go to be on Epic first/only, the backlash wouldn't nearly as bad. But this is a invested Fig crowd-funded game, where people PAID to kickstart it in exchange for Steam and GOG keys.
Likewise, you'd kinda expect an Epic game to be there, and it wouldn't be much of a deal.

Honestly, I get Epic. Exclusivity is likely the ONLY way to break Steam's quasi-monopoly. Still. Not like THAT with games that were already promised for Steam, FFS...

Last edited:

pm_675

Arbiter
Wait, I forgot that this game wasn't kickstarted but crowfunded on Fig. Forty percent of the foundig come from investors not backers.

Now, isn't fraud to offer a investment oportunity based on sales on Gog and Steam and then abandon that for a untested new plataform? After Epic pays you somenthing that you don't need to share with the investors?

Class action suit when?

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What happened with this game that it made everyone angry? genuinely curious
-some people got angry a few months ago because their new artist is shit - armor and monster designs suddenly started looking like "power rangers" whereas early in development the game had more of a "fallout vibe" regarding armor.

-some people lost faith because the game s progress is very slow

-some people lost faith because the game was also announced to release on XBOX instead of being pc centric

-many people are pissed off because its now suddenly an EPIC store exclusive since today

wow fuck them, especially for 1) and 4)

lightbane

Arcane
I'm disappointed more than enraged at this point. It's fascinating in a perverse way how they broke each of their promises one by one, culminating with the standard triple A's current behaviour: Epic Store exclusivity. At least they accept refunds, for what's worth.

mastroego

Arcane
Unless they keep going with the same pattern.
Next thing we know backers will get no refunds and will have to be happy to get away with their lives.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will wait a bit because I really believe they will back down after noticing the backlash. I honestly wonder if they have no idea how much people hate the epic store at the moment

Why do people hate the epic store at the moment? Apart from the "trading the accidental monopoly of Steam for an intentional and forced one by Chinese controlled Epic."?

Look like a thin men from nuXCOM.

Tovias

Learned
Well, that's disappointing. At least I didn't put money on the kickstarter and was merely interested. Gonna wait whatever it takes them to put it on steam, probably with the CONTRIBUTOR+GOTYA+ANNIVERSARY+LEGENDARY edition or whatever and get the proper game on a sale.

Why do people hate the epic store at the moment? Apart from the "trading the accidental monopoly of Steam for an intentional and forced one by Chinese controlled Epic."?

Let's go into all details.

• Backed by chinese company Tencent, who themselves are backed by those wonderful libertarians in the Chinese government.
  • Forced exclusivity deals that benefit only the publisher.
  • Added tax is paid by the consumer meaning more expensive games
  • No User Reviews
  • A "curated" marketplace where only approved games get in. You reckon any game that associates with the tolerant and well meaning people on this forum are going to be let in by the Tranny Brigade? Or the Chinese Government?
  • It's more fucking DRM we don't need.
  • Epic's security is always getting hacked. Constant leak of CC details.
  • They want a closed market the Chinese can control.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
baud People want to see PC games on all storefronts. Valve never moneyhatted companies to be on Steam (AFAIK). Epic are paying developers/publishers for exclusivity on PC, the most open platform for games.
There shouldn’t be console storefront wars on PC. Especially not exlusivity deals. Other than that, I have nothing against Epic Store.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Knew this was coming. Also refunded, no way I'm installing EPIC store.

How will this work with the deal they already made with MS for game pass? Not really exclusive if you can play it on Win 10 too?

mastroego

Arcane
Didn't something similar happen with the System Shock remake?
People get scammed talked into backing the project, enough money is raised to produce a demo to be showcased around for real investors, a new deal gets made for a different product and backers get screwed.
Refunded or not, it's kind of irrelevant, you're still using people as unwilling money lenders.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Didn't something similar happen with the System Shock remake?
People get scammed talked into backing the project, enough money is raised to produce a demo to be showcased around for real investors, a new deal gets made for a different product and backers are screwed.
Refunded or not, it gets kind of irrelevant.
I watched one of those night dive streams and they mentioned that SS Remake would be shown at GDC at the Epic Games booth. Another potential EGS exclusive?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Fucking traitors, I don't even hate Epic but betraying your backers like this is disgusting. At least Codex will offer a 100% discount.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ripperoni in pepperoni

Well I guess at least we'll get the answers to some very exciting questions.
Is the Epic exclusivity deal enough to keep them afloat if PP doesn't sell?
Does the Fortnite crowd pay any attention to turn-based games at all?
Is Ebin Store a viable marketplace for a very niche AA title?

Just gotta wait a year or two to find out!

PanteraNera

Arcane
Oh boy.
Seems like they do not miss any opportunity to upset their Backer's/Fan's.

I actually do not think that this game will be shit, BB3 showed that (at least to me) that it has a lot of potential and that gameplay wise it is a lot closer to X-Com and more complex than FiraxisCOM ever was (and probably will be). Which is a real shame, because if they keep on going on this rate, they will generate so many backlash that there is no one left that will play the game once its finished (or are to biased to enjoy it).

Also now they going to port the game from Unity to Unreal 4?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom