Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

passerby

Arcane
So much space, so little info and yet such tiny font size.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm going to be completely honest, every new iteration of their armour design reminds me more and more of a Dreadball reject.

4270.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

65be559c8d28fd80e71abce206cf5e72-png.jpg

Does this mean that recruits come with pre-determined classes?
so awesome and immersive. You collect 'apples', I guess that means 'resources' or something..how is it everything looks worse and worse the more they work on it?

I cant even tell whats happening in that picture. Some futuristic motorcycle cop has a giant gun in one hand a a huge screw and lug nut in the other? WTF is it?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

so awesome and immersive. You collect 'apples', I guess that means 'resources' or something..how is it everything looks worse and worse the more they work on it?
Well, apples are food. The three hexagons are metal/materials (going by what they usually mean). The two cogwheels... beats me. Some tech thingie?

Money is seemingly non-existent in this setting, so I get why they don't just use that. You need to spend resources on the gear, so I get the first two. As to why you'd have to give someone upfront food instead of an upkeep.... muh balance!?
Of course, all of this is guesswork, I'm not even planning on playing the game in the first few years, so I know nothing :lol:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, apples are food. The three hexagons are metal/materials (going by what they usually mean). The two cogwheels... beats me. Some tech thingie?

Perhaps the hexagon are high-tech materials/electronics and the cogs low-tech materials; I think in ufo aftershock there was the same kind of division of ressources (plus alien materials)

Last edited:

xmd1997

Educated

Perhaps the hexagon are high-tech materials/electronics and the cogs low-tech materials; I think in ufo aftershock there was the same kind of division of ressources
From what I remembered they represent "Tech", "Supplies", and "Food".

luinthoron

Learned

Perhaps the hexagon are high-tech materials/electronics and the cogs low-tech materials; I think in ufo aftershock there was the same kind of division of ressources
Any other silliness aside, judging by thesheeep not even having played the game and essentially guessed the meanings correctly, Snapshot have clearly at least gotten these icons right.

I basically get what they represent. but it does seem a bit like a phone game for whatever reason to see a stylized picture of an apple represent a survival staple in what was at one time (supposedly) billed as a mature, horror/apocalypse/survival strategy game.

My other 'WTF' was specifically about the actual picture... I just can not tell what the hell is going on in it...maybe I am having a perspective issue or something... but I see some power ranger looking dude holding a big gun in one hand and then.... fuck if I know what the fuck else is happening...looks like a giant 4 foot long screw and lug nut or something... I honestly can't tell what the hell is happening, and I have stared at the picture for like 30 minutes over the course of a few days now trying to imagine different things and still, nothing..

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
It looks like its part of the backpack, with one of those monstrous things on either side, but the way they sit up high it looks less like some power assisted frame but something being carted, the giant pin on it looks like it could swing around and crush the users head. The janky looking right elbow box looks kinda derpy and if weighted would fatigue the user quicker when engaged in a firefight, lack of shoulderpads is concerning, perhaps that backpack thing is transforming shoulderpads? The wrench symbol might indicate an combat engineer type role and the backpack might be deployable shield/barricade to hunker down behind to pop moles with.

Also very flat, probably sharp knees as well.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From Reddit, a sort of recap of what to expect from BB4:

• New Phoenix Project Soldiers (Assault, Heavy, Sniper)

• New Phoenix Project Equipment (Flamethrower, Incendiary Grenade, PX Assault Rifle, PX Cannon, PX Sniper Rifle)

• New Mission Types (Base Defense, Civilian Rescue, Resource Defense)

• New PandoraVirus Mutants (Chiron, Fireworm, Siren)

• New PandoraVirus Mutations ("Acid Spit", "Fireworm Launcher", "Mist Generator", etc.)

• New Procedural Maps ("Alien Citadel", Disciple of Anu Slums, New Jericho Districts, Phoenix Project Bases)

• New Soldier Perks and Weapon Proficiencies

• New Unit (New Jericho Civilian)

• New Vehicle (Phoenix Project Scarab ATV)

• Prototype Event System (Partially populated event list)

• Prototype Soldier Attribute System

• Prototype Soldier Perk Progression (including dual-classing)

• Revised Enemy AI (Better tactics, secondary objectives)

• Revised Inventory System (Inventory Sorting?)

• Revised Overwatch System ("Overwatch Cones")

It looks like its part of the backpack, with one of those monstrous things on either side, but the way they sit up high it looks less like some power assisted frame but something being carted, the giant pin on it looks like it could swing around and crush the users head. The janky looking right elbow box looks kinda derpy and if weighted would fatigue the user quicker when engaged in a firefight, lack of shoulderpads is concerning, perhaps that backpack thing is transforming shoulderpads? The wrench symbol might indicate an combat engineer type role and the backpack might be deployable shield/barricade to hunker down behind to pop moles with.

yes a backpack was one of the things I imagined, and I guess that's the closest realistic image and probably the right answer. But even when I tried to imagine the backpack, the long pole thing with serrated screw like engravings confused me.

Perhaps its rifling on a large gun barrel and the gun swivels into position when needed....which incidentally would make it the much dreaded "Shoulder Thing That Goes Up".....

xmd1997

Educated

Its one of the classes of the game. A New Jericho Faction Technician wearing an exo suit.

image.png

Technician_trello.jpg

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I stand corrected, to me the way the shoulder straps sat looked more like carrying a load instead of seatbelt/harness, seeing the full image though it makes sense to have it snug for translating movement

Its one of the classes of the game. A New Jericho Faction Technician wearing an exo suit.

image.png

Technician_trello.jpg

sweet, I honestly appreciate you posting this, I was being serious about my frustration with trying to parse the picture lol...this fixes my issue..

geno

Savant
BACKER BUILD FOUR

We have some exciting new content included with Backer Build Four. Here, we’re going to give you the rundown on some of the main new features and additions in the latest build.
Phoenix Project soldiers
Since our first Backer Build in early 2018, players have taken control of the New Jericho forces. This was mainly because the New Jericho models were the first we started working on.

Finally, in Backer Build Four, Phoenix Point soldiers are now yours to control.

The Phoenix Sniper, Assault and Heavy

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_62" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 743px;">
px.jpg

The Phoenix Sniper, Assault and Heavy

Phoenix Project Vehicle - The “Scarab”
Alongside the New Jericho soldiers of previous builds, players were able to gain and control the Armadillo, the NJ armoured vehicle.

In Backer Build Four you will be able to find and utilize the Scarab - the Phoenix Project vehicle, complete with rocket launcher.

The Scarab with rocket launcher

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_87" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 512px;">
scarab.jpg

The Scarab with rocket launcher

New Weapons
To accompany the Phoenix Project soldiers, BB4 sees a variety of new weapons. These are the Phoenix Project equivalent sniper and assault rifles, along with the Heavy Cannon.

There are also New Jericho flamethrower and incendiary grenades.

The Phoenix Heavy Cannon being used to test some destruction physics

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_104" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 515.984px;">
px_heavy_cannon_3_cut2.gif

The Phoenix Heavy Cannon being used to test some destruction physics

The New Jericho flamethrower in action

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_121" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 554px;">
ezgif.com-optimize+%282%29.gif

The New Jericho flamethrower in action

Reworked Inventory Management
To assist with managing this new equipment, the inventory screen has had a makeover. Each weapon now shows which ammo type is required, and each ammo type indicates which weapon it belongs to. Ammo can now be manufactured directly by selecting the appropriate weapon.

Inventory items now stack in base storage and surplus items can be recycled for resources.

Inventory Management and Equip screen

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_138" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 696.203px;">
inv.jpg

Inventory Management and Equip screen

Character Progression and Training
To give the player more control over their abilities on the battlefield we have now started to add individual character progression. Each class has a number of abilities which they can unlock as they level up through gaining combat experience. Soldiers can even multiclass to pick up abilities from other classes.

You can also spend progression points to increase base statistics such as speed (movement distance) or strength (maximum weight capacity).

Soldier Training screen

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_155" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 697.5px;">
train.jpg

Soldier Training screen

New Enemies
It isn’t just Phoenix Project soldiers who make their first appearance in Backer Build Four, but also 3 new enemies (with mutations).

The Fireworm - these little wrigglers may look harmless, but they go off with explosive results.

A Fireworm

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_172" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 868.359px;">
fireworm.jpg

A Fireworm

The Siren - with a large health pool, fast movement and the ability to infect your soldiers with the Pandoravirus, any Sirens you encounter will need to be dealt with quickly and decisively.

The Siren

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_189" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 869.703px;">
siren.jpg

The Siren

The Chiron - this is the Pandoravirus’ living mobile artillery. Different mutations allow these massive creatures to bombard the battlefield with a number of different munitions. Whatever they may be launching, the end results are the same - an area of the map where you really don’t want to be.

A Chiron towers over a Phoenix Project Assault soldier

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_206" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 721.781px;">
chiron.jpg

A Chiron towers over a Phoenix Project Assault soldier

New Mission Types
Backer Build Four sees the addition of 3 new mission types.

Protecting civilians in Haven defense missions, recovering resources before they can be destroyed in scavenging sites, and defending Phoenix Project bases from attack.

You will need to move fast to secure any resource containers before the enemy destroys them

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_223" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 923.875px;">
resource.jpg

You will need to move fast to secure any resource containers before the enemy destroys them

New Map Types
As previously mentioned, one of the new mission types is protecting Phoenix Project bases from enemy attack. While the layout of the tactical map does match the layout of the base in the strategic view, base building is not available in Backer Build Four. In this build, all new bases are procedurally generated.

Combat in Phoenix bases takes place on multiple levels

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_240" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 693.438px;">
PX+base.jpg

Combat in Phoenix bases takes place on multiple levels

Another new map type is the Disciples of Anu slum district. Until now, previous Backer Builds have been using the New Jericho maps for all Haven defense missions. The Anu temple districts weren’t quite ready for this build, but the slums offer lots of places for the enemy to hide.

The jumble of buildings and easy roof access creates lots of ambush opportunities

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_257" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 668.875px;">
slums.jpg

The jumble of buildings and easy roof access creates lots of ambush opportunities

Reworked Overwatch System
Overwatch has always been a bit of a gamble as your soldiers would often take shots at enemies moving at extreme range with little to no chance of hitting. There was also the risk of hitting your own men.

In other ways, overwatch could be quite over-powered; having your entire team ready to take out any approaching target in any direction.

In the new overwatch system, you must specify a direction and distance for your overwatching soldier to cover - only movement within this area will trigger overwatch.

The new overwatch system requires a direction and max distance

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_274" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 360px;">
ezgif.com-optimize.gif

The new overwatch system requires a direction and max distance

Events System
Many of the new locations you visit on the Geoscape will now trigger an event. Sometimes these are a simple binary choice in which you trade resources for new recruits or other useful items. Sometimes you will have to make a choice which will lead to a reputation gain with one faction but a loss with another.

Other events will offer many choices, and the consequences for your choices won’t always be immediately obvious. Other events will trigger chains leading to better rewards for greater risks.

A sample event

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1553714364149_291" style="line-height: 0; text-align: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; padding-bottom: 674.297px;">
events.jpg

A sample event

In addition to all of the above, we’re also reworking the fuel usage mechanic for the player transport craft. This will make exploration easier and more intuitive. We have many other features currently in the pipeline which just aren’t quite ready to make it into the current build, so you should start to see those in Backer Build Five.

55630464_826710711042504_967379132168011776_n.jpg

Now that is one ugly and godawful designed vehicle. Why put it on 4 separate tracks, so that more things can go wrong with it? And you raise the whole thing up so that it's easier to shot at? And why the fuck is there a goddamn spoiler on a fucking tracked tank?!

Mazisky

Magister
I have to agree that the tank look pretty odd and goofy. The base is very cool tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom