Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the next game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    You butthurt hardcore guys can't understand that there is a Huge middleground where people liked both original Ufo defense or Ja2 and Nuxcoms. Those will like the game either it will be a nuxcom clone or something deeper.

personally i'll buy any xcom-like game because there are few titles out there and we need more. So i'll support it in any case.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    You are all still overreacting. Gollops put a list of things PP will have and so far his team is implementing it. If you remember last demo, it had no physics and no hit chance. It also had nuXcom like cover that reduced damage instead of reducing hit chance.
    When people asked him about it, he said they will implement bullet physics next and this demo was only a proof of concept. Nobody made a big deal about it and people waited.
    Now they release a pre alpha that has stuff he said they will implement and he said they are implementing inventory next but this time you are making a big deal of it. Fuck, acting like little kids. Just fucking wait, Gollop gave us no reason to not trust him that the end product will be good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    hardcore oXCOM and hardcore NuXCOM guys?

what middleground :hahano: your sentence makes no fucking sense :D

:mixedemotions:

^ Top  
  4. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

The hardships and tribulations of nuXCOM.
    I have a feeling this is on Gollop's favorite video list. :)
    The video could be summed up with the quote:
    "Wow! This is way too complex!"

And then we have this chap's reaction to (in-video quote), "the most straightforward version of X-COM he can manage [n.b. Jake Solomon], entitled combat 2.0", so we may know who we're dealing with here.
    -----------------------

Do they have the budget for a non-retarded AI which implies iterations, balancing and bug fixing?
    Stay tuned!!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    Yeah, i love nuxcoms and i think they are fun turn based games.

Also i raised with games like ufo defense and jagged alliance 1 and 2, but this didn't make me automatically hate Firaxis reboot.

Is it that strange? Can't your brain accept it?
    What's wrong in that sentence you quoted, isn't that a good summary of the video?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    Uhm, what?
    Did you played and liked JA 1&2 and UFO Defense?
    Do you like Firaxis reboot more than these?

If the answer is Yes go immediately and see an doctor, I am dead serious, this might save your life, you seem to have brain cancer, or Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and it seems to be already very advanced. Oh dear, now I feel all bad for you, poor thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    Ufo defense is my favourite game of all times and the first strategy game i ever played along with dune2.

I don't like firaxis nuxcom more, i just think that it is a different game but it is fun.

Also, i played many clones over the years, ufo aftershock,aftermath, ufo alien invasion, ufo extraterrestrials...i literally tried anything similiar but i didn't like any of those.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    I wouldn't disagree with anything you just said.

So the only difference between the two of us is, that I actually hoped that PP brings back more from UFO Defense than Firaxis NuXCOM did.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    Me too but in a different way.

From Ufo i miss more the atmosphere and mood rather than the time units.

And Firaxis failed in this regard, Xcom 2 expecially is too Marvel superheroes.

The fact PP has grim artstyle and it is using the same music composer of Ufo defense is enough for me to get hyped.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    I miss both. Not explicitly the TU's but the tactical options it gave, move, shoot (decide how to shoot, snap, aim, quick), throw a grenade in any order you want to. I could probably live with a 4 AP system, but I rather would have something completely new. Something flexible as the TU's were.

Yeah, I could enjoy NuXCOM to some extend as well, but XCOM 2, I couldn't finish it, like you said its like Marvel superheroes and most of the story, enemies and "lore" makes no fucking sense, is just childish garbage.

Perfectly understand that, and yes I am looking forward to those aspect of PP as well. Plus what seems to be planned for the geoscape the 4x elements.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Btw, how soldiers work? Are they all equal? How disposable they are?

One thing I loved to do in the original X-COMs was using the worst soldiers as cannon fodder, using them as scouts, and for "Stun Rod Duty" - sending them running at enemy aliens waving stun rods. It was a great honor, really.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    Make sure the game is as simple as possible, because the average modern gamer/customer buys his games based on what his in-depth pre-purchase research showed him her the mechanics would be like rather than, say, the looks and general idea of the game, right? TU or a classic JA2-style ap system would totally be the thing to kill sales man.
    :roll:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    UnstableVoltage it is possible to find anywhere the 2-tracks ingame music of the demo showed? It was very good

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    At least on that we can agree. The OST seems like it'll be a good one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. luinthoron Learned

luinthoron
    Parrots:
    Looking a bit closer at the latest demo, while it does lack the ability to shoot more than once, I can see the soldiers being able to move after shooting as well if they have TU/movement left. Easy to miss, especially since it isn't mentioned anywhere, but it clearly isn't as bad as everyone seems to think even in the current pre-alpha iteration. (The specific point I found with a quick search was UnstableVoltage killing the queen with his Heavy and the game showing a possible 1-tile movement radius for him after that.)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    But It's a placeholder by Simeon Dotkov, Snapshot in-house sound designer and composer. John Broomhall will join the project later.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    To sum up, the new "balanced" hybrid AP system will allow:

- No manual hunker down
    - No facing
    - No alternative fire-mode
    - No multiple shots per turn without abilities

I forget something?

• decline decline x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/phoen...t-lovecraftian-12075696#ICID=sharebar_twitter

There is a lot of turn based tactical combat games out at the moment with Wasteland, Torment, X-com, Battletech what set Phoenix Point part from these?

What we are doing with Phoenix Point is very highly detailed interaction and tactical simulator with procedurally generated environments and even on the strategic level.

For example, Aliens themselves mutate and evolve in response to how you play so each player will facing entirely different enemies. The game is adapting there are also some random elements and you also have the factions you have this world simulation, the world is living even without your intervention.

I guess you could call it an open world strategic game and this really what sets it apart from the more linear experiences of some of its contemporaries.

Do you think old school tough detailed tactical combat games have had their day in favour of a new easier modernised streamlined approach and where does Phoenix Point sit on the scale or super detailed tactical or simplified fun approach?

Ah that’s a good questions something we have been wrestling with for over a year.

The short answer is we sit somewhere in between.

We do try to make sure the interface and controls are easy to use so on initial glance Phoenix point looks a little like the new X-com but at the same time we do have more detailed simulation stuff going on behind our holistic system, mechanics shooting armour penetrations etc.

We also have more in term of inventory management and character progression system.

We have some things that are reminiscent of the original X-com in there for people who played those.

It's trying to take the best of both and trying to make it work as a combined whole.

So anybody who like the new X-com will appreciate us taking it to a higher level in terms of depth and complexity and anyone who has played the original X-com will appreciate some of the things that they can connect with.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    How I hated it when the shitty soldier dodged shot after plasma shot from short range, while the good soldiers I had kept back AND in cover got mowed down from across the map.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Shog-goth Learned Patron

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    Please Julian, stop. I can't stand anymore reading these things from you.

A little?

Just some things? These weren't the initial premises.

Really? I lament the absence of many things, instead.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    from the article:
    NuXCOM and Fallout 4.
    Oh fuck, kill it, kill it with fire!

:mixedemotions:
    that's Julian and Jake guess who is who?

^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    lol

that's a whole new level of emotional engagement

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    You all guys should be thankful to Firaxis.

Until they did reboot the series, the genre was dead. Thanks to its success, the genre is raising up.

You can shitpost and butthurt as much as you can, but this doesn't change the reality.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    i sure am thankful about all these games that suck

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, I get so mad every time I see how they're failing to live up to their promise that this will be "the real X-Com 2". Which they absolutely did promise. Uh-huh. Yep. We didn't make that up at all.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)