Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Remember that you are comparing this to games that are still in development. KOTC 2 is a done deal, already finished it just that he does not put it for sale.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember that you are comparing this to games that are still in development. KOTC 2 is a done deal, already finished it just that he does not put it for sale.
Probably wants to iron out the microissues first.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I didn't like the new graphics direction until I saw this shot. Now I like it. It is very clean and accurate and no stuff being obscured by walls or whatever, just top down, pure strategy. Also it sounds like an upside is that he can make a lot more content. I need this game!

16693.jpg

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I didn't like the new graphics direction until I saw this shot. Now I like it. It is very clean and accurate and no stuff being obscured by walls or whatever, just top down, pure strategy.

Yes, it's really growing on me. I'm more concerned by the dodgy fonts/colours on the UI than the game art. Any news of the kickstarter?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=773&p=5302#p5302

Hello and greetings, turn-based RPG fans!

First off, my apologies for not updating for quite a while. Also apologies to those who recently tried using the site and could not because of a missing left-side menu. That was due to the website's host company migrating its servers. Hopefully it won't happen again, but if it does, feel free to email me at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com to let me know, thanks.

In the past month, I had to focus on my permanent move from Asia to Europe (Thanks galneon. That trip is out of the way now) and then on getting adjusted to my new place. Of course, I also worked on getting KotC 1 onto Steam, which was more difficult than I was expecting, but the Steam page is finally online (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1083760/Knights_of_the_Chalice/) and the release is planned on Friday 23 August 2019. The full game will have 100 Steam achievements and the free demo will have about 16 Steam achievements. There is also a Steam leaderboard for both the demo and full game. I've already added links to the Steam page on the various menus of this website.

Next I have to do a mass mailing to inform the news outlets/influencers about the Steam release date and I also have to post on Twitter & Facebook. Also have to continue working on the website's update to handle the distribution of KotC 2 to Kickstarter backers. And of course I have to work on the Kickstarter page as I have not had the time to fill it up.

On a side note, I enjoyed the season 1 of TV series 'Stranger Things'. It gets bonus points for its focus on Dungeons & Dragons!

Cheers all, till next time!

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
by BlueSalamander » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Hello all,

I've just uploaded the version 1.34 of KotC 1 full game and demo. The new version fixes a number of bugs and gameplay issues and it adds the option to launch the demo from the full game (simply click 'Demo'). Here is the link to download the free demo: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Download.htm.

Separately, I've done a short GIF animation to promote the upcoming release of KotC 1 on Steam. You can watch it there: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/KotC_coming_to_Steam.gif.

Some of you may also be interested in Matt Barton's entertaining two-hours-and-a-half Matt Chat 422 about KotC 1; here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOsYqp0XX9w.

Apart from that, I'm still working on the update of the website in preparation for the KotC 2 Kickstarter. KotC 2 is such a fascinating game. I'm really looking forward to releasing it to KS backers and reading player feedback about it!

Cheers all, till next time!

Efe

Erudite
could you elaborate?
better how and in which ways?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
could you elaborate?
Not sure what you mean, KOTC is a classic D&D RPG, with a campaign, you create 4 characters at the beginning and bring them along the entire campaign, there are some freeform exploration, some towns, only 3 classes but very furnished spellbooks, set of feats to pick at level up and decent itemization. The AI is also very competent.

In the end it's true that, just like the Age of Fear series, the first reason the game stands above the competition is that you'll face a series of very cool handcrafted encounters but KOTC really has much more to offer if you're a fan of the genre, I think Age of Fear (I've only played the first one so far) is good but it's simple when it comes to RPG systems.

Citizen

I didn't like the new graphics direction until I saw this shot. Now I like it. It is very clean and accurate and no stuff being obscured by walls or whatever, just top down, pure strategy. Also it sounds like an upside is that he can make a lot more content. I need this game!

The problem is not the concept of topdown view and tokens (which is cool), but the artstyle. It ;ooks functional and clean, but not pleasing

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
could you elaborate?
I can't remember Age of Fear well enough but basically the battles all seemed like a big clusterfuck, your 10 units vs 20 enemies or whatever. Each has an ability or two, try to use them in a smart way, you will most likely win no matter what you do. If all else fails, reload and play your clusterfuck in a slightly different way. The larger number of units don't really make up for having so few abilities on each unit. Also I didn't feel attached to any unit, I don't think there was any character building with them. It doesn't seem an RPG, more of a turn based strategy like that recent warhammer game or something.

KOTC is a real RPG. You have to explore, talk to characters, get a few quests, solve some puzzles, level up your party, upgrade your gear, manage your inventory, etc. And as for combat you have a small focused party with all of the AD&D spells and abilities, and the combat is really focused and tuned so that each fight is tough and needs good RPG tactics to win. It is also quite a long game, by indie standards anyway. Overall it is one of the best games I've ever played, looks like a zero budget game yet gave me a better RPG fix than any big budget crap from the past 20 years or so.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

The problem is not the concept of topdown view and tokens (which is cool), but the artstyle. It ;ooks functional and clean, but not pleasing
Yeah I prefer the look of the first game. I could feel immersed and involved even with 1980s pixel graphics. I don't think there will be much immersion from looking at the little circles. But I think I will still enjoy the game. At first I thought it looked horrible but I am getting used to it.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
by SilentLion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:43 pm
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=5311#p5311
Thanks for the updates, all looking good (needless to say, I am also very much looking forward to backing and playing KotC2
icon_e_smile.gif
).

You mentioned that one of the reasons for releasing KotC1 on Steam is to attract new players who could potentially become backers of KotC2. How much time are you planning to allow for that to happen before launching the campaign? I'm asking not out of impatience but out of curiosity regarding your strategy.

by BlueSalamander » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Hello SilentLion, thank you for your post.

Concerning the KS campaign launch date: The first thing for me is to finish the website update and then finish building the KS page. Once that's done, I'll set a KS launch date maybe three weeks ahead; I will also check and take into account the best days to start and end a campaign. That way, there will be enough time to spread the word about the launch date.

Concerning the Steam release: I would greatly appreciate it if everyone could please help spread the word about the 23 August Steam release on forums, news websites and social-networking sites! Let's give KotC 1 a good start on Steam! This is the last week and every little bit helps. It will help KotC 2 as well.

Thank you all! Best regards
icon_e_smile.gif

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Let's hope his father's name isn't Rotschild because if he starts eating caviar and foie-gras instead of roots, we're not going to play KotC 2 anytime soon.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
by BlueSalamander » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Hello all, here's a quick post to say that I've uploaded version 1.35 of KotC 1:

- Fixed a bug involving the Wall of Stone spell and some creatures such as Gorgons and Dragons.

- When trading and mousing over an item that you can sell, the game will now display 'Push S to Sell'.

- (Steam version only) You can now obtain the 'No Scribe Scrolls' achievements even if your characters employ the 'Share Spells' function.

- (Steam version only) You can now scroll down the Ranking of the Knights (leaderboard). You can click on the arrow icons, use the mouse wheel, or press any of the following keys: up, down, page up, page down, home and end.

Now I am working on the KotC 2 Kickstarter page. Thank you for reading, have a splendid time!
icon_e_smile.gif

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
version 1.36 of KotC 1 has now been released. Here is the list of changes:

- You can now use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down the main view.

- Fixed a bug that occurred when a random encounter was triggered on the world map at the exact same time that the player clicked to go somewhere.

- Fixed a bug that occurred when some party members are dead or petrified and the player tries to pick up items on the floor.

- Fixed a bug that occurred when attempting to swap the party leader with a dead or petrified character.

- The AI will no longer attempt to cast the 'Remove Paralysis' spell on creatures who are paralysed because any one of their ability scores has fallen to zero.

Aside from that, I've been doing some sprite tests for KotC 2 with the artist, Roman. Also been preparing some images for the KotC 2 Kickstarter page, such as the image used for sub-section headings. There's still a lot of work for me to do to compile everything I would like to display in the page and to make up my mind about stuff like reward tiers.

Thank you for reading, best regards all!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm so ready for part 2. I've been playing the first one some more since it came out on Steam, but there's only so many times that it's fun to play. I think I beat it maybe three or four times before it was on Steam, and I'm now on my third playthrough on the Steam version. I'm definitely ready for a new game. Even if he just added new classes and races to the base game, I'd buy that.

It's hard to even imagine what making a party will be like with 36 subraces and 22 classes.

Subraces.png

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
I'm going to make a fighter drake ( lightning ), druid ( water ) mantis, rogue kobold, cleric (life+cure) dwarf, death knight human and a wizard (fire) elf

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom