Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Ranarama

Learned
I'm shocked at the kind of autism that would allow someone to develop such a complete RPG and yet berefit of the ability to get a page on itch.io

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If I only had a Harvard degree in economics.

Intelligence and experience are not valued, unfortunately.

Most people only learn from their own mistakes, i guess if he manages to survive out of roots and rain water, he'll do much better for KotC 2.

Let's just hope KotC 2 will be at least as good as the first.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried buying KotC on his website, but I'm still looking for a bank that doesn't charge me for holding my money so I got no credit card. Does he accept gold doubloons?
Just find a friend with a credit card and give them cash for it.. DUH

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh, we all bought it from his website
Sadly, not really. I remember when he began posting updates about KotC2 in the buyers-only forum and a lot of people here kept asking for reposts since they didn't have access...

It never went on sale on GOG nor Steam, ama never was in a bundle, I would bet that the % of KotC owners in the Codex is actually quite low, even in this thread.

I mean, I'm leaving aside the 80% of the Codex that played Fallout 4 instead, and the 10% that pirated KOTC like a giant dick.

Delterius

Arcane
I tried buying KotC on his website, but I'm still looking for a bank that doesn't charge me for holding my money so I got no credit card. Does he accept gold doubloons?
Just find a friend with a credit card and give them cash for it.. DUH
I cannot trust just anyone with my money, you know.

I believe I have secured the loyalty and trust of captain Phillip Smith aboard the trade ship Dundee Castle. They are making the trip to Boston Harbor next month, due arrival in the upcoming 6 to 8 weeks. Does anyone know a trustworthy mail service that can move my war chest so that our fellow Begue may secure this transfer?

Much obliged.

Rodcocker

Arbiter
The guy is clearly intelligent and talented - it is no small feat putting together a game like that. But like many people with these talents, they are afflicted with many other extreme personality traits that sabotage all progress and personal happiness.

It really is a constant battle with these people, and when they lose, they might have lost for good. I doubt he has to eat roots alone, but something is driving him to these extremes.

Mortmal

Arcane
He said ~2 years ago on his forums that he had moved from the UK to Bulgaria. I guess there's no welfare there for (European) immigrants.
There's some welfare for european immigrants , if a french move to bulgaria he still can ask the french consulate service (CCPAS).Every codexers should be more informed into his wellfare rights ;) .
I dont know pierre's situation but there's several cases he could get some, even a case of disability. Unfortunately i dont think autism count as disability...
Sad the guy did not listen to us years ago , made a generic rts and alienate the already small customer base he had.Also yes like felipepe said even if GOG are thugs taking 35% , that's 10 years of sales he just lost.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It's kind of a tragic tale. It appears he has the intelligence, knowledge and drive, but doesn't seem to have the ability or is smart enough to wield any of it effectively. So he is basically just self-sabotaging himself over and over.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I missed all the drama and just went to gog and steam to look for it.
Guess I have to buy from his website, the last games I bought from developer's site are The Unreal World & Eschalon: Book I.
I bought them more than 10 years ago and these games are now on Steam, Eschalon is on gog as well.
:hmmm:

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Hopefully I'll be able to buy KOTC soon.
After all, this is my favourite game, along with TOEE and Dark Sun.

Codex Year of the Donut
Okay, sounds good, so what's next?

Well, I'm planning to use the next 40 to 50 days to pack as much interesting content as possible into the prologue adventure, Augury of Chaos.

My next updates will probably be smaller: I will make a small update when my KotC 2 Features and Screenshots web pages are released, and another small update when my new Youtube videos for both KotC 2 and KotC 1 are released.

Now, a little bit about my personal life: I'm going through a difficult time financially. So I'm surviving just by eating roots - figuratively and literally: ginger and turmeric roots - and I am placing a whole lot of hope into the upcoming Kickstarter for KotC 2.

So, while I keep working very hard on KotC 2, please do your best to promote KotC 1 and advertise the Kickstarter expected to come in November 2018.

:what: JarlFrank and you thought you had it bad.
has anyone bothered to inform him of what ramen noodles are?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I missed all the drama and just went to gog and steam to look for it.
Guess I have to buy from his website, the last games I bought from developer's site are The Unreal World & Eschalon: Book I.
I bought them more than 10 years ago and these games are now on Steam, Eschalon is on gog as well.
:hmmm:

Sami was also smart enough to drop the price of Unreal World heavily.

Saying that, KOTC isn't unreasonably priced.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
More and more proof piling up that you need to be knee-deep in the Spectrum in order to produce quality RPGs; anything less ends in Deadfire.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter delayed to December: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=759&p=5066

October 2018 Update, the War on Bugs!
by BlueSalamander » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Hello everyone, here is a new update on the development of Knights of the Chalice 2, as it's been a while since the last update. I am also posting the latest screenshots below (please click on a picture to enlarge it).

First of all, development is on track. However, I have had to spend a lot of time fixing combat bugs. Here is a good example:

1) Ghorda the Samurai uses her Whirlwind Attack against a Scarlet Frog and other enemies. (Scarlet Frogs are Giant Frogs with several abilities, including Swallow Whole and Death Throes Fire Damage.)
2) The Whirlwind Attack kills the Scarlet Frog. (Whirlwind Attack allows you to conduct one melee attack against all enemies within melee range.)
3) The Scarlet Frog activates its Fire Death Throes ability. (The Death Throes ability is an explosion that is automatically triggered when a monster is killed.)
4) The Fire Death Throes triggers a Fire effect on existing Web squares. (The Web spell creates sticky strands that prevent movement; these strands can be set on fire by any fire effect.)
5) The game applies fire damage due to the burning web to all characters in the area of the Web - this is normal game behaviour.
6) Following this interruption, the game forgets to remove the dead Scarlet Frog from the battlefield - this is a bug.
7) The game forgets to finish applying the Death Throes damage to characters within range of the Death Throes explosion - this is a bug.
8) The game forgets to give Ghorda her remaining Whirlwind Attacks against the other enemies within melee range of Ghorda - this is a bug.

Not to worry though, I have fixed it already. How? By recording in a special place the list of opponents that you are using your Whirlwind Attack against, and then recovering that list once every effect (Death Throes and burning webs) has taken place.

It's always my priority to fix bugs before I add new content. So far, there's enough content for a party of five characters to reach level 7. There is one recruitable companion.

There are two places where the party is split up temporarily. When this happens, the player chooses one or two characters who go forward without the rest of the party. Each of the two sub-groups may then face battle encounters without help from characters in the other sub-group.

There are various reasons for why a party has to split up. Maybe there is a ladder to climb and the ladder can support the weight of two people only. Or maybe you can dive and follow a narrow underwater passage and there will be enemies who attack as soon as they see the first few characters arrive, not giving enough time for the party to regroup.

Concerning puzzles and riddles, I am now providing a [Hints] dialogue option. This is because I don't want players to get blocked by such obstacles. I also don't want players to miss optional content or rewards just because of a puzzle or riddle that may not be as straightforward as I thought initially.

Most recently, I've been working on an unusual encounter. Depending on player choice, there can be more than 50 combatants. As a result, I have had to create an accelerated-AI mode designed specifically for that kind of battle. That mode is switched on by a script command. Having the AI review each combatant thoroughly is fine for small battles but it slows the game down too much when there are many combatants.

Also I did some work to accelerate the loading of saved games. Now it's quite fast. Totally not like CRPGs where you have to wait for a minute or more to load a game, I hate that.

A part of all loading time comes from loading the background image. To address this, KotC 2 keeps the last few background images in memory. That way, if you reload or if the party moves back and forth between two maps, the game does not need to reload the required background image constantly, because it is already in the memory.

I would like to do a Screenshots webpage and a Features webpage in coming days. Probably, I will use the same screenshots as above and below.

The prologue adventure, Augury of Chaos, will include four main maps: the Chapel of Chaos, Low Sewers, High Sewers, and Castle Gleegold. It will also include several tiny maps: the Water Shrine, the Oubliette and the Fire Shrine Special Level. I've already completed the Chapel of Chaos and the three tiny maps. In the Low Sewers, I need to add about three encounters and it's finished. After that, I will work on the High Sewers map. Initially, I was thinking to also have the village map and the regional map in the Prologue Adventure, but I will not have enough time for them so I'm cutting them out of this module for now.

In any case, I'm going to need a bit more time for content production. I would really like to add some more content to the prologue adventure before the launch on Kickstarter and Steam. So the KS is likely to be in December rather than November.

My sincere apologies for the delay. Really, it's the nature of game development. It can be very unpredictable. You find a new bug and then you have to spend a whole day identifying it and fixing it, because it would make the game look so bad if you did not fix it. And then the next day you find another bug. Things like that.

But you can rest assured that the game is very enjoyable! Most of the combat encounters are very tough. More so than in KotC 1, you need to strategise every aspect of the game, including your battle tactics, your dialogue choices, what you spend your gold on, the way you develop your characters when you select feats and spells for them, and how and when you use your magic scrolls and consumable items.

Thank you for reading and feel free to post comments! Until next time!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I remember being hella sceptical about the maptools look of the game with the tokens and all (by which I mean it looked like ass) when I saw it for the first time, but with the added effects and stuff it's actually starting to look decent.

I'd still rather have it look like the first game, but so it goes.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
19.jpg

Me :
giphy.gif

getter77

Augur
December KS is perhaps one of the riskier times to have to launch one---even November is somewhat pushing it given holiday rush concerns. Seems there's no helping it though, so all we can do is hope.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I remember being hella sceptical about the maptools look of the game with the tokens and all (by which I mean it looked like ass) when I saw it for the first time, but with the added effects and stuff it's actually starting to look decent.

I'd still rather have it look like the first game, but so it goes.

I'm starting to warm up to this more than the first game, look-wise. I'm thinking there're are more possibilities for gameplay-implementation when you can make assets so far. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first game's artstyle anyway.

Game looks really cool on these latest shots.

EDIT: Just the amount of creatures on the shot above looks like fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom