Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars, difficulty curve question

opium fiend

Augur
Hi. So I like the game and all, and have finally overcome my chronic restarter syndrome enough to progress past the hangman's tree. I found the hard difficulty sufficiently hard, with some sharp spikes like raedric on lvl 5, when I retardedly jumped in the sarcrificial pit in Caed Nua and fucking Galvino's shop with his exploding constucts (lvl 8). After I cheesed those out, I found that most of the other encounters are just too easy, I'm clicking through combat without almost any thought, no need for special abilities, spells, nothing.

Is Path of the Damned the solution to this problem? Or should I just avoid side quests or what? Does the difficulty of the main quest picks up after act 2?

Prime Junta

There are basically two ways to keep the challenge reasonable through the game.

One, avoid White March until the last possible moment. Then play it level scaled up. Even so, things on the crit path get pretty easy towards the end of the main campaign. The difficulty does go up a notch in Act 3, but if you've hit White March you'll be way over-geared and over-levelled for it.

Two, hit White March around level 7, and just... don't play the main campaign.

White March 2, some of the optional encounters in White March 1, and Siege of Crägholdt are quite hard even for level 14-16 characters. The lower reaches of the Endless Paths are challenging for level 10-11 characters but a yawn for 14-16.

The game does have a problem with you outleveling the content. Path of the Damned does make things tougher but the mobs are a quite a bit bigger and the challenge variety suffers.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What Prime Junta said is really the most important part. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest playing either White March or main content regardless of the order you choose, and saving the other half for your next playthrough. You can do Endless Paths regardless.

You should, however, play Path of the Damned if you're at all competent at roleplaying games and like to reload the toughest fights a few times. Hard will become very easy later on.

opium fiend

Augur
Thanks. I think I'll go with PotD, leaving WM at the end. Maybe even irom man it, so I can be scared of dying instead of just being annoyed.

Prime Junta

Thanks. I think I'll go with PotD, leaving WM at the end. Maybe even irom man it, so I can be scared of dying instead of just being annoyed.

Ironmanning PotD is... monocled. It will punch you in the nuts hard from time to time and the game doesn't usually easily allow you to run away from a fight that's going pear-shaped.

Ironmanning Hard is feasible if you're competent and careful, even on a first playthrough.

opium fiend

Augur
Yeah, there's no way I'll make it. I'm hoping it'll force me to think and pay attention to tactics, consumables, spells, etc instead of just barging into fights and count on passive abilities and knockout. I played a chanter and I'm thinking of doing rogue next, we'll see how long he lasts.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Pillars of the Damned is actually pretty great. I went to that wooded area and got straight killed by those Druids that one-shot your mage with those lightning spells. I stupidly ran right at them with no tactics or anything. It was my own damn fault thinking I could just bumrush everything like I did on hard.

Hyperion

Arcane
Yeah, there's no way I'll make it. I'm hoping it'll force me to think and pay attention to tactics, consumables, spells, etc instead of just barging into fights and count on passive abilities and knockout. I played a chanter and I'm thinking of doing rogue next, we'll see how long he lasts.

Path of the Damned brings all those things to the table. Just as an FYI, PotD and its far longer encounters is where Chanter really shines so you get the full effect of your Invocations.

Prime Junta

I wish there was a mode with Hard or Normal mobs but PotD stats. The only thing I don't like about PotD is that the mobs are always so damn big: that makes for monotonous tactics as it's always all about AoE crowd control. The combat itself is a lot more challenging and a lot less rote otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom