Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
RTwP mode: "Recommended for players who enjoy RTwP games"
Turn-based mode: "Recommended for players who like turn-based games"

Wow really?? Thanks, this really influenced my decision on which mode to select!

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
With our Turn-Based mode beta going live, we wanted to assure those waiting for our console version that turn-based mode will also be included at launch for Deadfire's console release. Stay tuned for an exact date once we get one!

How is RTwP even playable on console?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
There's a whole final fantasy game based on that.
Some people like it, even.
(note that it's not rtwp but it's real time party-based shenanigans)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
First impressions from the TB combat - it's technically functional, but nothing has been done to rebalance the rules. Every action costing one turn is a serious change from RTWP.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How do they have the will to continue working on this game? What are they hoping to achieve? I'm not complaining, but it seems weird.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
nothing has been done to rebalance the rules.

The fuck are you talking about? Literally every single ability in the game has been rebalanced.
Keep your shirt on.

1. You have free movement every turn.
2. I have 14 intelligence. My Eldritch Aim lasts 2 rounds. The tooltip says "10 sec base + 40% Intellect".
3. Armor has no effect on casting time, only on movement range.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
AwesomeButton said:
1. You have free movement every turn.
2. I have 14 intelligence. My Eldritch Aim lasts 2 rounds. The tooltip says "10 sec base + 40% Intellect".
3. Armor has no effect on casting time, only on movement range.

Everything you said is blatantly wrong

1. Your movement is decided by a stat. It's not free.

2. It's an oversight. All durations have been converted into rounds.

3. Armor does influence how fast casting speed is.

wFO2Ba5.png

AwesomeButton

Patron

How does TB mode solve low duration effects anyway? Do you need 20 Int until 1 RND durations get upgraded to 2 RNDs?
The answer to this and the answer to how armor and dexterity affect speeds is literally a mystery.

1. Your movement is decided by a stat. It's not free.
It's not free when in RtwP. It is free in TB because you can move from enemy to enemy with no penalty (unless you're in Engagement), and the rest of the world is frozen in place. If you fail to understand that, I have bad news for you:
rating_retarded.png

Do you have anything more specific than that "faster"?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
It is free in TB because you can move from enemy to enemy with no penalty (unless you're in Engagement)

How is RTwP different?

Do you have anything more specific than that "faster"?

Nice deflection. You said abilities weren't rebalanced and armor doesn't affect casting speed. Both of these claims are untrue.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
How does TB mode solve low duration effects anyway? Do you need 20 Int until 1 RND durations get upgraded to 2 RNDs?

Intelligence 10

C6EZkJA.jpg

Intelligence 20

bsCG3n1.jpg

Intelligence 3

CrxscKO.jpg

10 intelligence:

pQbgqip.jpg

20 intelligence

QIPWJuO.jpg

Intelligence 3

jWbzfj3.jpg

I don't think any ability has only 1 base round duration.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
TB mode seems to introduce cutoff points in the stats, a lot of abilities with a base duration of 2 rounds will only get bumped up to 3 at 20 INT (I think?). This seems more like the IE games, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Does Stride affect how far you can move during your turn? What's the point of Sawyer's tidy linear attribute scaling when durations are now rounded to the nearest whole number of rounds?

Quillon

Arcane
TB mode seems to introduce cutoff points in the stats, a lot of abilities with a base duration of 2 rounds will only get bumped up to 3 at 20 INT (I think?). This seems more like the IE games, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing.

DnD nerds should be happy with this then.

Tigranes

Arcane

We're going from "3.6s -> 9.6s" to "2 rnds -> 3", which should make planning ability execution across party members easier, I suppose?

It's not a huge difference if you're always pausing and setting things up anyway, but for people who for some mysterious reason don't like pausing and/or put party members on AI, I guess the experience changes quite a bit.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Also what the hell is going on with combat movement? Characters sometimes ignore my movement command 3-4 times before they finally start moving, and then sometimes they randomly stop halfway (they're not out of movement for the turn) and I have to issue another movement command.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regarding stats affecting duration of spells and other abilities in turn based mode... How about in addition to discrete jump points 2 turns duration (10 INT) -> 3 turns (20 INT) also give a % chance for increased duration with smaller stat changes (10% chance for 3-turn duration at 11 INT, 30% at 13 INT, 70% at 17 INT, etc.).

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
>Ie games are your benchmark
>Remake the whole systems because you don't like some aspects of it
>You made an inferior game
>Remake the whole systems for the sequel because most people, including yourself, disliked several aspects of it
>You made an inferior game again
>Throw a smoke grenade, pull out your trump card and convert it to Turn-based mode
>Your interns made an incomplete turn-based version of your inferior rtwp game
>Here's what happened in our last ttrpg session ! *sweats profusely*

This is the most bizarre game dev evolution I've witnessed in years. From every stat should somehow matter at every point dumped or invested to You better absolutely min-max to spot a tiny difference between two priests.
What the fuck :lol:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Also what the hell is going on with combat movement? Characters sometimes ignore my movement command 3-4 times before they finally start moving, and then sometimes they randomly stop halfway (they're not out of movement for the turn) and I have to issue another movement command.

Make sure you issue your commands exactly. The game is picky about how you click to move. You need to precisely click on the white dots or you will have issues!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom