Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Penetration isn't even a problem without the PotD buffs, and why would you play on PotD if it's frustrating?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Right. I agree with this.

However, if they were integrated into the main narrative, surely they would have more things to say. Even a simple conversation along the lines of 'so, you've come to take my head, have you?' or 'you'll never take me alive', etc, would go a long way towards making these encounters feel more 'alive'.
The liches and Twisted Rune in BG2 didn't say much of anything anything either.

Oh and there's also the guarded compound in the temple district. You just walk in and these people with a lot of great loot start attacking you.

The Real Fanboy
most of them mandatory "strong women" in Deadfire. :(

giphy.gif

yikes at getting this triggered over women in the Deadfire archipelago

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm getting triggered over bad writing, of which there is a lot in the Deadfire archipelago.

Though, one year after the game's release, it's too late for anyone to get triggered. We just accept that it's garbage all the way, and move on to better games.

AwesomeButton

Patron
come play kingmaker comrade button
As soon as they put it on discount again, I am.

However, PoE and Kingmaker are on opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to how serious the two setting take themselves. This changes the perception, and the level of annoyance caused by overt SJW agitation.

Jinn

Arcane
As much shitposting as is going on in here right now, I'll add my quick two cents. The ubiquitousness of "strong female" in the setting is not glaringly bad or out of place, particularly if it's those found in your party. It's an extremely harsh environment and of course anyone you find wading through the worst of it is going to have to be strong in one way or another.

Probably the biggest offender in terms of poorly executed, out of place writing in DF is that everyone seemingly wants to fuck everything that moves, particularly if that thing is the player character. Sexual preference in the archipelago being primarily of the "breathing" category is just bad and unbelievable writing, regardless of what your personal beliefs on the matter of sexuality might be.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
attractive, young, high powered people wanting to have sex when in high pressure situations = bad writing

real incel hours

cruel

Cipher
"Strong women' in Deadfire is not about getting triggered. It's more about total immersion breaking - if you are playing an RPG, and try to feel like you are actually living in the game world, and suddenly you encounter this badass strong woman pirate ordering a band of thugs, it's just so fake it makes you stop and think. I don't mind powerful priestess, queen or whatever, but good luck in having some woman bossing bunch of pirates. Pure SJW thrown in your face.

Also, WTF - with latest patch and all DLCs installed, Pallegina suddenly leaves the party after aligning with Furrante :| Sends you a letter about 'hostile actions towards Vallian Trading Company', which I never did (positive reputation 4 with VTC). And it seems I'm not the only one:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107191-pallegina-left-party-to-stand-in-the-ocean/

1 year+ after the release and bugs like this, bravo.

The Real Fanboy
This game where people are powered by the strength of their soul is totally immersion breaking no way that a woman could make her sword go on fire

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
"Strong women' in Deadfire is not about getting triggered. It's more about total immersion breaking - if you are playing an RPG, and try to feel like you are actually living in the game world, and suddenly you encounter this badass strong woman pirate ordering a band of thugs, it's just so fake it makes you stop and think. I don't mind powerful priestess, queen or whatever, but good luck in having some woman bossing bunch of pirates
Women in Eora have LITERALLY the same stats as men. The only immersion breaking element is your autism that is unable to comprehend that the stuff that set women and men apart in the real world simply isn't present in the fantasy world of the game.

There is no reason for why "some woman" bossing around a bunch of pirates would be unbelievable from literally any in-universe perspective.

Delterius

Arcane
but good luck in having some woman bossing bunch of pirates
Ching Shih[1]:65 (Chinese: ; literally: 'widow of Zheng') (born Shih Yang (Chinese: ; 1775–1844), a.k.a. Cheng I Sao (Chinese: ), was a pirate leader who terrorized the China Seas during the Jiaqing Emperor period of the Qing dynasty in the early 19th-century. She commanded over 300 junks (traditional Chinese sailing ships) manned by 20,000 to 40,000 pirates[1]:71—men, women, and even children. She entered into conflict with the major nations, such as the British Empire, the Portuguese Empire, and the Qing dynasty.[2]

hey guys maybe actual people can recognize the attributes of leadership when they see it instead of larping internet 'kwa militiamen

The Real Fanboy
"Strong women' in Deadfire is not about getting triggered. It's more about total immersion breaking - if you are playing an RPG, and try to feel like you are actually living in the game world, and suddenly you encounter this badass strong woman pirate ordering a band of thugs, it's just so fake it makes you stop and think. I don't mind powerful priestess, queen or whatever, but good luck in having some woman bossing bunch of pirates
Women in Eora have LITERALLY the same stats as men. The only immersion breaking element is your autism that is unable to comprehend that the stuff that set women and men apart in the real world simply isn't present in the fantasy world of the game.

There is no reason for why "some woman" bossing around a bunch of pirates would be unbelievable from literally any in-universe perspective.

but good luck in having some woman bossing bunch of pirates
Ching Shih[1]:65 (Chinese: ; literally: 'widow of Zheng') (born Shih Yang (Chinese: ; 1775–1844), a.k.a. Cheng I Sao (Chinese: ), was a pirate leader who terrorized the China Seas during the Jiaqing Emperor period of the Qing dynasty in the early 19th-century. She commanded over 300 junks (traditional Chinese sailing ships) manned by 20,000 to 40,000 pirates[1]:71—men, women, and even children. She entered into conflict with the major nations, such as the British Empire, the Portuguese Empire, and the Qing dynasty.[2]

hey guys maybe actual people can recognize the attributes of leadership when they see it instead of larping internet 'kwa militiamen

giphy.gif

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
"Strong women' in Deadfire is not about getting triggered. It's more about total immersion breaking - if you are playing an RPG, and try to feel like you are actually living in the game world, and suddenly you encounter this badass strong woman pirate ordering a band of thugs, it's just so fake it makes you stop and think. I don't mind powerful priestess, queen or whatever, but good luck in having some woman bossing bunch of pirates. Pure SJW thrown in your face.

I love it when people think limits of their knowledge is limits of reality. Even if we ignored the fact that world of DF is a fantasy thus individual strength is not as important, let's look at actual history shall we?

Sayyida could neither forget nor forgive the humiliation of being forced to flee Granada. In her wish to avenge herself on the "Christian enemy", she turned to piracy. She made contact with the Ottoman pirate Barbarossa of Algiers.[6] Piracy provided a quick income, "booty and ransom for captives", and also helped to keep alive the dream of returning to Andalusia.[6] She was well respected by Christians as a queen who had power over the Mediterranean Sea. She also was the one with whom one had to negotiate the release of Portuguese and Spanish captives.[6][10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayyida_al_Hurra

Mary was the daughter of a former Suffolk pirate. Mary's husband Sir Henry Killigrew, a former pirate himself, was made a Vice-Admiral by Queen Elizabeth I and tasked with suppressing piracy. Whenever her husband went to sea, Mary engaged in piracy using the staff of her castle (Arwenack Castle in Cornwall) as crew and possibly with the Queen's knowledge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wolverston

Jeanne, enraged by her husband's execution, swore retribution against the French King, Philip VI, and Charles de Blois. She considered their actions a cowardly murder. With the English king's assistance and Breton sympathizers, Jeanne outfitted three warships. These were painted black and their sails dyed red. The flagship was named My Revenge. The ships of this Black Fleet then patrolled the English Channel hunting down French ships, whereupon her force would kill entire crews, leaving only a few witnesses to transmit the news to the French King. This earned Jeanne the moniker "The Lioness of Brittany". Jeanne continued her piracy in the channel for another 13 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_de_Clisson

So no. You are wrong on both accounts and personal strength doesn't matter much in actual positions of power by the way. If a crew of thugs can rape and kill a woman, they can also rape and kill a man. What matters is the captain's legitimacy amongst the crew and their support for the captain. Which, to be fair, is harder to attain for a woman. Which however only justifies women in positions of power being strong women that inspire their crew.

People need to drop this attitude of "I don't know about it so it didn't exist", nor should they assume their personal assumptions and prejudices are factual.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Also, WTF - with latest patch and all DLCs installed, Pallegina suddenly leaves the party after aligning with Furrante :| Sends you a letter about 'hostile actions towards Vallian Trading Company', which I never did (positive reputation 4 with VTC). And it seems I'm not the only one:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107191-pallegina-left-party-to-stand-in-the-ocean/

1 year+ after the release and bugs like this, bravo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wolverston

Trashos

Arcane
Oh, you have found 5 "strong" women historically. Congratulations.

I am sure your great grandmothers felt oppressed for not being allowed to work in the mines. They totally didn't remember they are "oppressed" as soon as work became safe office work.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Oh, you have found 5 strong women historically. Congratulations.

I am sure your great grandmothers felt oppressed for not being allowed to work in the mines. They totally didn't remember they are "oppressed" as soon as work became safe office work.
yikes^2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom