Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

entr0py

Scholar
Yeah, pure monk is amazing but Xoti is a horrible monk with her stats and archetype. She is sucks as a priest too with Gaun spells so best thing you can do is to kick dumb bitch out of the party.

The game is easy enough even on PoTD to complete with any stroy characters. Actually on my first playthrough I used Xoti the whole time as a single class priest and still had no issues, but obviously a custom-made party member will be a lot better (see my buffed monk/priest above). Generally the stat distribution of companions is pretty horrible.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My issues with Xoti are not about her stats. I changed her into Helwalker in my last attempt to play Deadfire and that was... horrible. I never want to see another mention of her rosy cheeks, long lashes and her ayes turning big and dark in dialogues ever again. Damn, even schoolgirls that write fanfiction often aware enough not to let this shit into their texts but fucking Obsidian thinks it is ok for fucking CRPG.

Sorry, emotions.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I tried making her a priest/monk. Barely usable.

LOL, thats absolutely not true. Monk/Priest is an absolutely OP multiclass class combo. Better with Priest of Woedica / Helwalker monk pair but Xoti's setup works fine still.

script>
https://imgur.com/nf40knp
Those are some interesting attributes.

Didnt work for me at all through early levels, just ended up with a bad priest and a bad monk and their skills dont mix well at all. Although i multiclassed everyone so that could have contributed too.
Not that its unplayable with Xoti like that, but clearly suboptimal. Especially when not bothering to min max till my eyes bleed.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fug, I picked multiclass and retrain does not switch back... (((

Chance to hit is displayed differently, compared to POE1. Used to be that anything above 50% is a crit chance.
Now it seems to be 75% (counts grazes) and above and of course it stops at 100... Cant tell my crit chance without doing subtractions acc-def.

Still, rogue ass ass in is still fun. Rolling 30 dmg and doing 120 backstab from da shadows. Shooting instantly again because now combat started and game thinks you have a fresh gun. And a third time after switching...

Its fun thinking about how to beat a couple of bats...

Should I make Xoti a priest? They look nerfed into the ground...

If you think Assasin is fun, try Streetfighter. Note Flanked is a part of Perception afflictions (such as from blunderbuss powder burns... or Chillfog).

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Streetfighter has only bonus crit dmg. I cant even reach decent crit territory vs bats without stealth and de/buffing, yet alone something dangerous. Cant imagine it getting any better...

Fugging restarting, I made Eder Fighter/Thief and now setting class back per console command still gives him Rogue back on Retrain in a shop. At least I made this error 2 hours in.

Going single class on all the c0mPaNi0nS, inc Shawty, to see how much level you really need to beat the game.
Multiclass only for mercs.

From what I see, multiclassing only grants you access to other classes Abilities at a later level, right? And nothing else?

entr0py

Scholar
Streetfighter has only bonus crit dmg. I cant even reach decent crit territory vs bats without stealth and de/buffing, yet alone something dangerous. Cant imagine it getting any better...

Fugging restarting, I made Eder Fighter/Thief and now setting class back per console command still gives him Rogue back on Retrain in a shop. At least I made this error 2 hours in.

Going single class on all the c0mPaNi0nS, inc Shawty, to see how much level you really need to beat the game.
Multiclass only for mercs.

From what I see, multiclassing only grants you access to other classes Abilities at a later level, right? And nothing else?

For each class there are 9 power levels which are tied to your level, as you level up you reach higher power levels which (supposed to) have better skills/talents as you advance. As a multiclass character you get access to all the available talents/skills of both classes up till Power Level 7. So you will never be able to reach the max power level as a multiclass character, but you have a wide array of options to work with instead and some classes really do work well with each other.

Generally if a class' power level 8-9 talents/skill are not horribly broken (monk) or build defining (wizard and cipher for a lesser degree - keep in mind that wizards' low level spells also get stronger as you increase in power level!) you might be better off multiclassing to achieve synergies with class combos. E.g. my mercenary priest of woedica / helwalker monk combo was intended to be the buffer and an off-dps in the party. Buff duration/area is affected by Intelligence and helwalker monk gives +10 to intelligence when she has 10 wounds so her buffs are going to last longer and cover a larger area. Same idea her heals and her damage as an off-dps is reliant on might, which is again buffed by +10 as a helwalker. So by multiclassing I got a much better buffer which was my main goal and a pretty good off-dps as cherry on top. As she is rather squishy with pretty low deflection I gave her instrument of pain to be able to attack from range, thus keeping her safe in the middle of the party where she can also buff others better and as a priest of woedica her summoned weapon is fists which synergizes amazingly with monk multiclass and the woedica-specific spells are also pretty neat, especially for totally shutting down some casters right at the beginning of combat.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
I know all that. So its only Abilities.

First time I remember a Unity CTD... Pirates, man...
Nq3pqop.png

Aaaaaaaaaaah, skinwalka!
AWk5vSt.png

Wtf, figurines are limited use now. Game got x5 times harder...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

No. Streetfighter gains +100% crit damage only when BOTH Blooded and Flanked.
But EITHER of this conditions will make him deal +50% Sneak damage (from level 1... on top of what regular rogues get) AND +50% Speed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Streetfighter is great when you pair it up with a Paladin or Barbarian, something that will jump into the fray and be targeted but won't die simply by being sneezed that.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Oh shit. Still, standing in melee with 8 Con would be tough for me. But I guess with some Pally in there, or something to boost survival would be nasty.
Its tough to look up all those bonus stats on chargen. I actually looked at Streetfighta and havent seen those Sneak and Speed boni. For me, it only showed +30% to crit dmg. Gotta doublecheck.

entr0py

Scholar
Streetfighter is great when you pair it up with a Paladin or Barbarian, something that will jump into the fray and be targeted but won't die simply by being sneezed that.

Pair Streetfighter with Berserker Barbarian to get +30% hit to crit conversion and upgraded frenzy with extra armor and penetration. Dual wield blunderbusses (one from Serafen quest line and one from Undercity quest line for example). Blunderbuss modal will trigger flanked (distracted) on yourself while under frenzy you slowly lose hp as well to trigger bloodied condition. Each AoE hit of the blunderbuss will proc carnage in an AoE to quickly clear mobs. Be mindful that until you clear confusion from your frenzy your attacks will hit both friend and foe. Easiest is to get Devil's breastplate to get immunity to mind affecting afflictions (e.g. confusion) to sort that out in the build as well, but anything that gives mind affecting resistance (1 step downgrade of affliction) should work as well. This build is especially deadly lategame when you can boost the only downside of the build, the low penetration of blunderbusses.

entr0py

Scholar
Oh shit. Still, standing in melee with 8 Con would be tough for me. But I guess with some Pally in there, or something to boost survival would be nasty.
Its tough to look up all those bonus stats on chargen. I actually looked at Streetfighta and havent seen those Sneak and Speed boni. For me, it only showed +30% to crit dmg. Gotta doublecheck.

With the above blunderbuss dual wield streetfighter/barserker combo you can go with low Con cause you are not necessarily fight in frontline. Also easier to trigger bloodied with low con.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Early fights are great fun. Have to pull all the available strings, from position to ai abuse to rest and consumables.
3 level 3 mooks vs 7 looters at Gucci Street. I have 4 backstabs and 3 harvests so technically if all backstabs crit (only 25% chance each) and gauns harvests land, I could win this. I managed to kill 5 as best result. But without DT or DR they hit Eder too hard.

Quillon

Arcane
So why haven't Obs released the game to gamepass already? They got nothing to lose at this point and no reason to wait for console ports, they should have put it up there with Football Manager and emperor something.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm having quite a bit of fun so far but I'm going slowly.
What really puts me off though is the abundance of magical items. Level 6 and everyone has at least 5 of them already. I prefer it a lot more when finding good equipment feels like a proper "achievement"

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Crits got nerfed and I wasnt even informed!
They do only +25% extra damage now. But with +50% to Pen. And Overpen adds +30% dmg.
So if you roll vs 7 Armor and have 9 Pen on a Crossbow, and Crit, you get 9+4.5=13.5 Pen, plus some Level boni and you are now double the Armor value and get the Overpen bonus. Summa summarum 55%. But getting Overpen is tough.

Beat the Gucci gang fair and square! Didnt land a single fucking Backstab Crit from stealth! All grazes and 1 normal hit. Best fight of the game probably...

4 Backstabs in stealth kill 2 weak ones on the left, rogue and archer, their fighter goes to Eder. I basically gave up here and dont even know why I continued fighting. 2 backstabs should have critted and killed and 2 other backstabs should have finished the fighter as well. But I endured!
Stone poison (100 corrode dmg over time wtf) is killing their mage.
LewhRrL.jpg

Eder is doing nothing but chugging poitions. And I mean literally nothing. So that I dont get recovery pause somewhere and die.
Minor Gaun miracle - Xoti grazes and instagibs the fighter with a level 1 Harvest spell that does base 120 dmg wtf. I start smelling victory against odds!
Their rogue goes full retard.
T0mfOyw.jpg

I cancel all actions, wait out the enemy rogues +50 to deflection and focus him down. Good thing Eder had still an Empower.
fLw8Ygr.jpg

The hidden medallion and Constant Recovery all long ran out. All out of Healing Potions. And Eder goes down. Is this the end? But their shooter is borderline dead too.
LgiM10V.jpg

I forgot Eder has second chance!
fZKbCot.png

Noooo, dont slip away
TFoCYO8.png

Ahahahah
ldgPzrg.jpg

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
It doesnt look like much but the fight above was super intense. Xoti MVP with 3 Harvest hits that did about 300 dmg.

Something aint right. The enemy wasnt even bloodied.
FfnyeH6.png

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
What really puts me off though is the abundance of magical items. Level 6 and everyone has at least 5 of them already. I prefer it a lot more when finding good equipment feels like a proper "achievement"

"Pillars of Eternity has too few unique items!"

"Deadfire has too many unique items!"

Suprisingly Sawyer did not find the correct BALANCE
:littlemissfun:

Turuko

Learned

wait really
i just started this and i'm around that level too, maybe 7 but i haven't found a lot of them
a sash and a couple of rings, only other stuff i found is blue armors that are actually worse than the default one for companions
i'm still in Neketaka though

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

wait really
i just started this and i'm around that level too, maybe 7 but i haven't found a lot of them
a sash and a couple of rings, only other stuff i found is blue armors that are actually worse than the default one for companions
Whuut! Of course I also buy the cheaper ones from merchants immediately, why not after all since there's enough gold... Did you go to Fort Deadlight already for example? A lot of loot there and you don't even need to fight anyone "if you play your cards right"

Turuko

Learned

wait really
Whuut! Of course I also buy the cheaper ones from merchants immediately, why not after all since there's enough gold... Did you go to Fort Deadlight already for example? A lot of loot there and you don't even need to fight anyone "if you play your cards right"

haven't left Nekataka since i've landed for the first time, going to the Old Ruins now

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

wait really

haven't left Nekataka since i've landed for the first time, going to the Old Ruins now
I didn't go straight for Neketaka, went first to Fort Deadlight and went around in a couple of islands. I'll post some items I've got tomorrow

Turuko

Learned

wait really

I didn't go straight for Neketaka, went first to Fort Deadlight and went around in a couple of islands. I'll post some items I've got tomorrow

oh yeah i cleared up the old ruins and geared up quite well now
went to Fort Deadlight after, with a Principi flag they let me in through the front door
tried laying the bomb in the harpsichord but got caught while trying to steal the good rum and i had to genocide the whole Fort
oh well

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom