Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by TT1, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Sherry Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Sherry
    Hi.

mega. Mega! MEGA DUNGEON!!!

Orange is back today okay? Okay! So last night I was able to get to finish the mega dungeon downloading content The Forgotten Sanctum and omg!! this dungeon is massive with all kinds of interconnected levels and strange things going on with tentacles and magic with a story wrapped around history and of the God Wael with some fungi thrown in to really give this place a creepy dust-filled feeling with bookworms and dust mites and faceless librarians :o There will be some pictures too so spoiley aleart okay? Okay!

Tayn was my favorite idk why he was not made a joinable npc because he was so funny I got lots of laughs from him oh and from also having Concelhaut's Skull again because I forgot to finish off a quest I was one before finding the Santcumn so I went back there to finish off the quest and ended up getting Concelhaut following me around in the party just like from the first Pillars so it was a nice reunion of sorts and he cracks all kinds of funny jokes about food the party is carrying around like rotting eggs or drinks so he and Tayn brought some smiles in an otherwise gloomy place.

Gosh though the dungeon itself as you are tasked to search for Maura who is lurking about finding a way to get the body of Wael i nto and fight Eothas and there are lots of places to explore, books to find and sneaking so it was nice to have Serafen because I made him really good at hiding and moving quietly so he did a lot of the early leg work scouting and pulling off books from shelves while Ishiza pecked at other books to distract the librarians it was funny to watch :lol: Oh and it is not all exploring and puzzles right? It is combat too and there are three challenging fights they are in the screens and it was a nice pace from some of the easier fights. Half the time I did not know how I got to some place or I would find some quest item and not know what it was for or found some puzzle to do but had not found the area where the puzzle piece was yet so just a large and fun dungeon spending the entire gaming sessions I could sit down and play inside the mega dungeon! Gosh I saw moonlight ONCE down there for a quest and lost all track of time. Orange was happy to finally get out of there all the dust was making her sneeze a lot. :cool:

- Here is Serafen starting to scout the restricted section

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- omg this battle was soooo annoying okay? Dealing with energy blasts and combat while the energy blasts keep moving about. Took me 3 tries :|

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- gosh this area was so creepy yet so pretty at the same time it is truly an archive of information

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- gosh. Gosh! GOSH! It just keeps getting creepier!!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- Concelhaut just being Concelhaut!! :hug:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- omg!! Total Stranger Thing's vibe I got and it is a nice surprise in combat :eek:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- idk here I found it sneaking and had an option to give it some warden paper agreement and they all were friendly to me after that. Orange gladly accepted :hug:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- okay! OKAY!!! Another creepy battle with jello-eyed man was n ot as hard as the energy bolt battle but just creeeeepy yucky! :P

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- and then there was this giant eyeball with spell rays and summoning creatures and being stuck in goo and icky stuff. Barely made it through the first time :salute:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- Giving Concelhaut a hug and wave offering him a new body and he better remember this nice gesture for next time! :hug:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gosh this game has so much content and new places to explore and people to meet what a gem! Nearing the end though but still there is one other downloading content to visit and I got Orange, the party, and her boat Sherry, to Harbinger's Watch!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Sherry

• Friendly x 13
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • incline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. santino27 Arcane

santino27
    So much more entertaining than Woe.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Ok guys, this has probbly been asked but the thread is too fucking huge to make sense of:

How is the turnbased option? Is it worth buying the game for? And can you switch between the 2 on the fly like in Arcanum?

• No No x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    It's too slow. And you can't switch on the fly as the systems use different rules.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sailor Woedica Learned The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    [​IMG]

(btw I love the nickname Woe! Very cute)

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    • Shit x 4
    • Friendly x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. 2house2fly Erudite

2house2fly
    I don't think it's controversial to say Pathfinder Kingmaker was more successful than Deadfire. Even if it didn't sell much more, it had a lower budget so return on investment is probably significantly higher.

I don't follow why they would want to do that? Wouldn't they want to get themselves more attention by making fanart of the better-selling game?

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Stinger Arcane

Stinger
    I'd say yes. You can't switch on the fly like Arcanum as stats have different functions between TB and RTWP.

But having finished the game and the dlcs I'd say TB is definitely worth it. I was weary of the game feeling slow but after ramping up the game speed to fast the turns happen pretty quickly whilst still being quite clear in what is going on. I never really felt like the game dragged all that much. I don't know if I'd call the dlcs worth it if you're on the fence about the game as a whole but the main campaign was entertaining enough and TB mode was incredibly fun - less prone to stat bloat and requiring constant cheesing/degenerative gameplay compared to DOS2 and far less of a clusterfuck of the RTWP of Kingmaker with far fewer trash mobs.

The main things going against it is the bland writing of the companions other than Eder (I genuinely didn't like anyone other than Eder and Aloth as a distant second) and the general overbearing nature of the Gods constantly showing up and acting holier than thou without much chance to really call them out. The overall Eothas storyline is a bit too on the rails with the Watcher playing far too passive a role in it but honestly I thought the factions interplay and the role you can play in it was the main focus of the story and was far more interesting anyway.

• Brofist x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    use cheatengine's speedhack, problem solved

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Or, you know, just use fast mode in-game.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Sailor Woedica Learned The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    btw it’s not just the amount of high quality fan art that Deadfire gets compared to Kingmaker but also engagement, sis!

And luckily the amazing tumblr artist Riessene has done such good lewks for both Deadfire and Kingmaker’s companions so we can totally see and compare the notes (likes and reblogs for people that don’t know tumblr) to totally see this! I’ve gathered their top 3 most high scoring Deadfire and Kingmaker companion fanarts, excluding any art that had an oc, for this super scientific method:

1. Pallegina in full republics regalia vs. Regongar

Pallegina is renaissance snatched so it is a little unfair to compare with some so emotional head drawings but she has twice the notes (over 2000) compared to the orc sorcerer. Tho Regongar is getting help reaching more people with the ‘dungeons and dragons’ and ‘fantasy’ and ‘video games’ tag while Pallegina relies solely on the strength of the Pillars of Eternity setting, her strong brows and her dazzling lewk. 1000 notes is still really good tho but after this Kingmaker doesn’t really do as wel!

Pallegina vs. Regongar (open)

2. Regongar and Octavia celebrate Pride vs. Tekehu, Aloth and Pallegina with long hair

Tumblr is super LGBTQ+ friendly so Regongar and Octavia should be totally slaying but they only get 471 notes while Deadfire’s squad with big volume hair [​IMG] crushes it at 1400.

Regongar and Octavia vs Tekehu and Aloth and Pallegina (open)

3.Octavia and Reongar vs. Aloth

Ok i had to include an oc after all for Kingmaker but they didn’t have anymore drawings that broke 300 notes and I didn’t want to be mean. Aloth totally curves them with his soft dew glow with 332 vs. 835

Octavia Regongar oc vs. Aloth (open)

Soo not only does Deadfire have more fan art the art also gets legit way more engagement than kingmaker. Thanks for listening to my ted talk [​IMG]

• Funny x 3
    • honk honk! x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. RaptorRex888 Educated

RaptorRex888
    So with Maia's quest, if I get the guy killed and force the woman to take the missive without dealing with the stalker first are the leaders spared assassination in the ending? I've seen conflicting reports but they are all pretty old. Judging from my current playthrough however I'm quite apprehensive about Obsidian's bugfixing capabilities.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Can you tell me a bit how the stats change in TB vs RTwP? I mean, are the changes huge, and does it affect special abilities/talents/spells/magic items?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Stinger Arcane

Stinger
    TBH I don't know much as I only played Pillars 2 very recently after 5.0 came out and never played the RTWP version. The main thing I'm aware of is that Attributes have a different role between turn based and RTWP such that a build with attributes that are good for RTWP may not be as effective in Turn Based. Again, I don't know the finer nuances but for example Dexterity is basically a dump stat in TB mode as increasing action speed makes a big difference in RTWP but is hardly of much use in TB mode when you're taking clear distinct turns anyway.

^ Top  
  14. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Fan art is endorsed but please don't turn into a Sailor Justice Woedica (SJW). :M

^ Top  
  15. Imrahil Barely Literate

Imrahil
    I mean... if anyone should, right?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Xeon Liturgist

Xeon
    The gods felt like little kids bickering with each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. RickOmbo Educated

RickOmbo
    The worst thing about POE 2 is how Obsidian has spent some of Tyranny's budget on it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    It was PoE 1.

^ Top  
  19. TheChickenKing Learned

TheChickenKing
    Is this a joke I don't get, or did Obsidian really use funds from Tyranny to aid in the development of a boring-ass game? I don't think I'd mind so much, but Tyranny felt like it was an awesome idea that would've been significantly better if it had a bigger budget and more development time (more enemies for improved variety in combat, a bit more spit and polish on the C&C, and a more satisfying finale).

^ Top  
  20. Shaewaroz Arcane

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    I don't know what it's about this game, but I just can't enjoy playing it. I really would like to enjoy it - the graphics are so incredibly beautiful I'm willing to forgive some shortcomings. The navel combats sound super interesting and the Pirates style exploration of the numerous small islands sounds awesome. But every time I try to get into the game I'm stabbed in the eye ball by some annoying feature. Somehow playing Kingmaker felt so much more satisfying.

Here are some things that bug me to no end.

- In early game every character class is pretty much equal in terms of combat efficiency. Every character class can oneshot a bad guy from stealth pre-combat. Enemies seem to hit your characters pretty reliably whether they're wearing a plate mail with shield or a simple cotton shirt.
    - Every character can use all weapons and most of the equipment. This is a huge negative for me, since I don't feel the classes to be any different. What ever happened to wizards with quarterstaves, thieves with daggers and clerics with maces? There can be no class restrictions anymore?
    - All the "reactivity" due to character skills checks, their race etc mostly amount to nothing more than flavor text or maybe a bit of EXP or an item. Skills make barely any real impact - failed skill checks don't prevent you from taking on a quest, for instance. In other words, you have PLENTY of choices, but ultimately they have no REAL consequences.
    - There's so much fucking shit in my inventory. I haven't read even a small fraction of what all that shit is or does. Every container gives me some new item that temporarily gives +1 to Resolve or some shit like that. I already know I will never use any of that shit. Finding new stuff doesn't feel like anything. In Baldur's Gate finding a new piece of equipment felt like a huge accomplishment.
    - Characters autoheal after combat. (maybe I can disable this from options?)
    - Second Wind ability. So every character class is a healer now?
    - Voice acting is uninspired. In the first city everyone has really terrible Spanish accent - get it, Conquistadors, wink, wink? The blonde chad NPC companion says everything in a monotone voice that makes me fall asleep.
    - I only have 1 NPC companion, the blonde chad guy, but I already want to hang him from his guts. He feels more like a soulless henchmen rather than a real person. He commented on my immoral behavior and even threatened to leave the party, which I appreciate, but mostly he just throws bland, meaningless comments about things we see and characters we meet. Nothing has any impact. Nothing matters. I want to die.
    - How is it possible I felt 1000 times more engaged while playing Knights of The Chalice? It's an amateurish indie sketch with little to no story and basically zero NPC interactions. Yet everything felt so much more meaningful in that game. Why is that??? Am I going insane here???
    - The world map makes me feel like I'm floating in an empty void. Kingmaker has so much more interesting world map.
    - The story is too epic in scale. WTF, I just reincarnated back into my old body and now I have to go kill a giant god? I just want to go kill some rats and skeletons in a stinky dungeon, thank you very much. I want to be an unknown nobody, a blank slate, not the fucking Graywarden all over again.

I hope the game could get better later on, but I dunno if I can force myself any further.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Old x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    Some people like it, some don't. The consensus is 'meh'

^ Top  
  22. Haplo Arbiter Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well, I would address at least some of those points, if I may.

1. Sure, alpha strikes, particularly with high damage weapons, like Arquebusses are very strong. Sometimes there are a lot of enemies and you can't alpha strike everyone though.
    More importantly regarding armor. Initially you can't reliably tank on higher difficulties, true. But that changes pretty fast (how fast depends on ability and shield choices). Some characters soon become nigh-unkillable. Particularly Paladins and Fighters become VERY tanky (Palading due to Faith defense boosts & Lay on Hands, Fighters due to self-regeneration effects, particularly Unbroken). Note that you can generally multiclass them with a DD class (for example Rogue or SoulBlade) and still remain very durable.

2. Items with temporary bonuses probably relate to food you can consume while resting to get a small bonus. Generally I don't care much about it either, but the high-end food can give very substantial bonuses that last till the next rest (immunity to an affliction group, Penetration or Caster level bonuses).
    Finding new, sometimes awesome equipment doesn't always feel like an "accomplishment" here (seriously, some OP items are probably too easy to get early), but some do (Engoliero the Espirs, Kitchen stove!) and the itemization in PoE is up there among the best crpg examples. As well as unique weapon property enchanting.

3. Second Wind is nice. But its one off and will eventually fall off in its effectiveness. Makes durable characters more durable, but it won't hold squishy ones alive for long.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. RickOmbo Educated

RickOmbo
    After the breakup, Chris Avellone has revealed that significant amount of Tyranny's funding has went on other projects of the studio. Basically, Feargus has stolen Paradox's money in order to make Pillars of Eternity better.

• Funny x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sailor Woedica Learned The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Omg hahaha Critical Role crossover fanart!

• Shit Shit x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. lophiaspis Savant

lophiaspis
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)