Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Killed Benny's gay gang of rogues and multiclass chars at level 3 with 5 people...
They have 2 brutes between them, that can ENGAGE. The rest can be kited into "missed (out of range)" by moving away just when their attack animation starts.

I dont think its supposed to be played this way... but the Balance God's system specifically makes the distinction between chars that stop you and those who dont - rogues dont...

The same at the dig site, assassinated the Drake and ranged Wyrms and Benny Hill'ed the rest. Eez.

Aloth in contemplation
8e9Oo8a.jpg

umSVMXt.png

Flexing on you
1vZnang.png

Looks like Chill Fog/Blindness got srsly buffed again in 5.0 compared to 1.0
It drops deflection as well, just doestn say it here. Almost as good as POE1 version. Wizards are back on the menu boyes.
Z94PYoh.png

This Soul Shock cypher ability is obscene. I didnt know that it generates Focus! Single cast with a couple of grazes and I was up to 50+. Thats 5 Charms in a row.
And look, aside from the Brute who was on Eder the whole fight, none can engage.
r232taw.jpg

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Scary mmmaam.

Fucking astronomical, if only it happened when I needed it.
18ib38y.png

0.5*0.1* // hit-chance 50% * hit-to-crit converion 10% from orlan's minor threat
0.5*0.1* // hit-chance 50% * hit-to-crit converion 10% from crossbow
0.5*0.1* // hit-chance 50% * hit-to-crit converion 10% from crossbow
0.5*0.2* // hit-chance 50% * hit-to-crit converion 20% from dirty fightin
0.75* // graze and hit chance combined to be more realistic
0.5*0.2 //hit-chance 50% * hit-to-crit converion 20% from dirty fightin
== w t f

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Parabalus
Is micro-kiting (ie, pausing when their attack animation starts and moving away to get a "miss (out of range") enemies that dont have engagement allowed, proper?
Sawyer disabled Engagement for a reason, now I have to use it... right?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They do only +25% extra damage now. But with +50% to Pen. And Overpen adds +30% dmg.
So if you roll vs 7 Armor and have 9 Pen on a Crossbow, and Crit, you get 9+4.5=13.5 Pen, plus some Level boni and you are now double the Armor value and get the Overpen bonus. Summa summarum 55%. But getting Overpen is tough.

Why would anyone want a system that produces this gibberish? Shit like this, and this kind of system in general (i.e. PoE) just completely sucks all the fun out of everything, like in this case it makes crits not something worth getting excited about, neither conceptually nor mechanically.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
like in this case it makes crits not something worth getting excited about
Really? And getting excited about a random 20 is kewl?
I dunno, I am getting pretty excited when my opener crits. Means I killed someone in 1 hit and have 3 more to try, its pretty fun.
tweN0aK.png

And if you find weaps that get some effect on crits, than shit like dirty fighting with hit-to-crit conversion becomes exciting. The cypher companion has a gun that can be upgraded into a something like smoke-on-crit. Its a shit gun but hey, there is hope.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Do Xaurips know?
DxdOTCp.jpg

Fights like this are funny. Drake dead, everyone dead. Champ with 12 fucking armor vs Pierce and me not having bows equipped, turns into a death march where if Eder dies, everyone dies as well and I have to replay...
HjC1OVB.jpg

I was rong about Soul Shock. It does not give Focus to the cypher. It was just Serafens Wild Mind ability random procing and granting bunch of Focus. And I got all exicited...

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Whaaat?! Who are we shooting at?!
qUvRyox.png

Lucky roll
qiWmnon.jpg

btw if you steal Brutal Ben's 5 black pearls and his potions in his room and then do the quest with the ship stealing, then you can steal 5 black pearls from him again ^^ classic exploit

wtf lol
7Ugx8f3.png

much better, and they say POE doesnt have good loot!
Dp7ImpY.png

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh. Gosh! GOSH!

Another DLC sucked down the drain okay? Gosh finished this evening the Beast of Winter which was not full of depth as the last DLC The Forgotten Sanctum but certainly worth downloading to tie in with the stories told in Pillars of Eternity right? GOSH! Between the two which one did I like this most right that is what you are asking and need to know? ikr!! okay. OKAY! Gosh just take it easy okay? OKAY!

Both are great story DLCs, but Beast of Winter takes the top spot because it explores with more detail on what was shared in Pillars of Eternity with the Godhammer tale! Gosh this was so genius to go back in time and be able to learn and visually see the effects that info dump NPC talked so much about in Pillars of Eternity it made you want to dismiss them the moment they would not stop talking about it. Just poor NPC design on their part as I mentioned in my Pillars of Eternity review but thankfully the Beast of Winter does not follow the same poor design of information dump NPCs like Pillars of Eternity did because guess what? That annoying NPC is not part of the world!

Oh! There are screens so be warned of spoilers! Okay! You have been warned right? So let me get to the tale of Orange as she rippled through Beast of Winter!

- okay here Orange arrives to Harbinger's Watch and exploring with her crew.

E90w0Ql.jpg

- Orange arrives and is greeted with the proper titles based on Pillars of Eternity +1.

0p4hkjQ.jpg

- but back outside after things happen we meet this beast!!

D2YQOcW.jpg

ikr! Orange has been nothing but a loyal friend to all Dragons since Pillars of Eternity and here is one attacking her. Word of her friendship to Dragons should have reached all Dragons but not this one. It was a fun battle but more hardship was soon to come.

- we met another God!

yTLTiat.jpg

- We explored the chill and cold of Rymrgand's touch!

WI7AG6X.jpg

- Orange kept pressing and going deeper to find answers.

wJSoq3R.jpg

- Orange met Neriscyrlas once again in parlay.

htHiZKQ.jpg

- Orange was forced to follow Neriscyrlas and find spirits to help her beat this undead Dragon! This was when the Godhammer tale began to unfold.

0NqBDia.jpg

So much story about the history of Eora is in Beast of Winter, connecting what it is which was told in Pillars of Eternity, to becoming a reality you can explore in its continued tale. I truly loved how everything unfolded at The Bridge Ablaze, what it is we learn, and how it comes to play a part in the grand tale of the Gods. Gosh. This is just a slice of this beautiful tale, both DLCs introducing 3 Gods one may interact with. It's not a standard in the industry to evolve on tales already told, to flesh out history, the present, and the future, but after playing the Beast of Winter, truly, this goes far and beyond. What has impressed me the most with the two adventure DLCs, is the care and thought toward the greater picture. Main party members still react to events as they unfold. They all have voiced dialog, and both DLCs bridge the world together with such fabulous interwoven subtle strands, it would be a true shame if Microsoft tossed this world aside.

I get it. There has been a lot of push against this tale, but it has created a world with depth that has been missing far too long. The Forgotten Sanctum and Beast of Winter together was well thought out and planned. They're not equals to one another; they supplement a God's vision which is able to stand on their own independently with one another, yet come together so wonderfully in a well crafted world that makes sense.

More tomorrow. :hug:

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:
Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
^ mental patient

What I really dislike are the HARD COUNTERS... .. .
Ran into some Dank Spores who charm you. Now you """Svef""", which is a bit expensive but available drug, and it gets you Resistance to Int Afflictions which ALWAYS downgrades all Charms to Confused. Well, Eder doesnt care in melee if he is confused. He is just whacking. And the AI is not switching to the other chars... Trivializes the encounter. Might trivializes all encounters based around Charms really... POE1 was better.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
poe threads always deliver.

Elephantman

hey, since u seem to be the current autist-du-jour in here talking about poe, what's your opinion on turn-based mode?

additionally, (as i am planning on starting the game in TB mode soon), what are your thoughts on current class "balance" as of 5.0 patch? TB or RT, just in general.

I don't want to go with my standard PoE saber-critter rogue that I always go with and have been trying to think of something fun.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
RtwP > TB
True Story
Especially if its tacked on.
RtwP plays like phase based (if you larp and dont kite and play by rules where you are only allowed to issue orders when chars finish their actions, whatever those actions may be). This already eliminates the core TB """gameplay""" approach of initiative alpha striking.

I havent tried POE2 TB mode but my guess is that it breaks heavily everywhere. I guess Gucci street fight is a good test. If I can alpha strike the 2 fighters than TB mode is worthless trash.

I have zero idea about balance in 1.0 and 5.0. I tried 1.0, sailed to Neketaka and saw that its too eez. Uninstall.exe.

Something fun is a class that is considered too squishy for melee and not fit for combat.
Make it Solo and play on Hard and you can look for absolutely new ways to survive.
Most fun I had with POE1 was when I went Solo Wizard. Though it gets old when you figure out how to stack defenses in the right order and stand in a corner while Chill Fog and Fireball eat away the opposition.

Random EDER gameplay notes:
Getting Eder into some kind of survivable tank territory is almost possible by now!
Change armor to something that does not have a Pierce vulnerability...
Medium shield modal: chance x? to fully ignore attack
Gloves: chance to convert enemy hit to graze
Unique ring: +2 to Def per engaged enemy
Sword and board: +6 to Defl and Ref
Unique sword: +5 defl
Cape: +4 defl
Ring: +2 defl

Darkest Dawn Amulet: 20% dmg resist when near death
Death Runes Helmet: 15% dmg resist when near dead body
Guardian stance +5% to dmg resist per engaged enemy

There is a potion that gives +3 to Armor rating, so one can potentially reach 12 AR eez.
and a potion that gives +8 to all Def

(Improvements on horizon: better ring, boots, belt, fine shield)

Efe

Erudite
if its gladiator sword, might as well use a dagger or hatchet?

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

omg. Omg! OMG!!!

okay. Okay! Hgonna do my best to really try to focus on the Beast of Winter DLC I wrote about yesterday okay? OKAY!

So flipping backa dn forth in histroy was true gem of a tale. It connected the first part of the game with the second, without changing the past but still allowed you to experience it. Gosh it was like I was Marty McFly. ikr! :hug:

The Beast of Winter encompassed three different tales but the Godhammer flashback impressed me the most. I'd like to keep much of my thoughts about it to my final post of DEADFIRE which will come sometime this week I am very excited but you can scroll up and read my quick thoughts on how its bridges Pillars of Eternity with DEADFIRE so nicely. Okay so to some screenies these are spoilies okay? OKAY!

- Gosh the Bridge Ablaze is a wonderful introduction to the Godhammer tale with fantastic artistic direction that breathes life into Durance's info dumps in Pillars of Eternity.

Uhymuiz.jpg

- The GODHAMMER EXPLOSION is just terrific!

ZIoxfGI.jpg

- Orange working to help Woedica the moment they are torn apart by the GODHAMMER!

RwsRUeU.jpg

- omg. Omg! OMG! The GODHAMMER!!!!

g1EfFsO.jpg

- Orange did not stop there having to venture to the Endless Queries where we offered to help a spirit shackled for eternity.

vuUeaAY.jpg

- gosh Orange had to go through a Trial to help the Shackled Soul and got to answers questions.

nbbp2yW.jpg

JeCJ4Rt.jpg

- Then there was the Dworned Kingdomg! Lots of water and stuff.

WfH92jL.jpg

- okay so the Drowned Kingdom was very straight forward. It had lots of water though and falling water, but if you just followed the available path you just had to click on items to change the flow of water it was not a puzzle or anything and it goes by pretty fast.

Okay so you do these three portals and whatever to get these spirits to help you fight the Dragon or not because that is where I got confused with one coming along to be inserted to the Wheel and the other two I got to help me fight the Dragon but idk okay? The two I helped were kinda off the side of the main encounter with the Dragon and didn't do anything myabe I just did omsething wrong but oh well it woekrd out tin the dn.

- Diving into the VOID to face the DRAGON!

IHPQ4EG.jpg

oKAY THAnks. Be back tomorrow with another update!

Thanks,
Sherry

Efe

Erudite
werent they supposed to "drop" the godhammer on the god?
why is it under him?

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Great tip, breh. Modal info is hard to get. You need to look at the tooltip after you get it...
Dagger modal gives +10 to deflection. Thats 5 more. You do need a modal though. I'll retrain later.
Hatchet doesnt quite fit, you need to hit the enemy to give them -10 acc. Does not help vs a couple of enemies and hitting stuff is hard.

Now, having found out how to check info on modals, the medium shield modal gives a flat, no questions asked, 30% resist (meaning: complete ignore) to all melee attacks. Holy shit. That's better than 30 deflection! Maybe, I am reading it wrong but it certainly looks this way.

I'll post later about another modal that I found looking to help my crits. Which also looks whack.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Orange wasn't sure about leaping through a giant hole in the ice she stood upon, so she made everyone hold hands and jump together. :hug: This is the location where three spirits are available to assist you in the combat to come but nothing ever came of it for Orange or the party. We all had to battle Neriscyrlas without the help of the two spirits Orange had to assist her. So I checked a walkthrough and read I had to lure Neriscyrlas toward those spirits with each one offering assistance during the battle but what good is that when Orange would get hit with disengagement attacks right? Gosh, they just stood and watched a most spectacular battle. It was tough because it is a Dragon but another battle would be waiting far more sinister than Neriscyrlas.

- Orange and the party landing in Neriscyrlas' Lair!

y7pZZCY.jpg

- Gosh Neriscyrlas is really, really pissed off! To the left one of the spirits who offered to help but ended up just watching instead! :hahano:

XzapzRx.jpg

- Number of screens from the battle. Neriscyrlas tends to move around so splitting up the party helped to flank with Aloth in a supporting role, while Orange and Serefan knocked off Cipher attacks and explosives!

RyX2bws.jpg

WJDNro9.jpg

pkhSSZd.jpg

After its destruction Orange is whooshed away into the Void where it is cold, windy and spirits are slowly worn and eroded away by being kept there and Neriscylas was a good long battle here comes another one with the Beast of Winter which as Orange spoke with, did not end well and combat began. Real tough and a challenge and Eder used lots of Clean Sweep and Inspired Strike attacks to knock it down and Maia maximized her animal companion abilities along with Hunter's Fang. Orange and Serfan continued to use their minds to slam the Beast of Winter into submission.

m0Mr0xV.jpg

OF COURSE IT GOES AFTER ALOTH!! FFS!!

ohGUeFM.jpg

UPoqL14.jpg

RRRdh6a.jpg

XfDQiOx.jpg

- Gosh this battle took over 30 minutes and it was Orange with her mind strained and her body bloody pulling all her strength into a single thought of detonation to bring the Beast of Winter to its knees and even then Orange simply grazed this massive beast but it was enough!

AEQ7trb.jpg

- and gosh, that was it! Orange and her band were thrust out of Rymrgand's domain bloody, wounded and just near death's door. Did not want to have to redo that battle lol!

zTFLbhP.jpg

So that is the Beast of Winter and I really enjoyed its focus into the past events and some high-end encounters plus the snow and ice reminded me a lot of the White March from Pillars of Eternity some real good story telling here but that is it right? Orange has a few ends to tie up and complete before sailing to Ukaizo which will be the last of Orange and her party then one last post for the ending slides it has been quite a remarkable and enjoyable journey just exploring Eora so keep your eyes peeled for the final leg of this adventure okay? Okay!

Thanks,
Sherry

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Great tip, breh. Modal info is hard to get. You need to look at the tooltip after you get it...
Dagger modal gives +10 to deflection. Thats 5 more. You do need a modal though. I'll retrain later.
Hatchet doesnt quite fit, you need to hit the enemy to give them -10 acc. Does not help vs a couple of enemies and hitting stuff is hard.

Now, having found out how to check info on modals, the medium shield modal gives a flat, no questions asked, 30% resist (meaning: complete ignore) to all melee attacks. Holy shit. That's better than 30 deflection! Maybe, I am reading it wrong but it certainly looks this way.

I'll post later about another modal that I found looking to help my crits. Which also looks whack.

I think the sword also has some cheap enchantments that improve its Pen. Overall it is a neat weapon with good balance of offence and defence at this stage. And doesn't come with modal penalty.

Shield modal is good, but again, slows you down a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom