Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Play it in another language which isn't voiced. That's what I plan on doing when I get an SSD to be able to bear the loading times.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Will i like this game if i didn't enjoy PoE 1 (found it boring and overall disinteresting, soul-less, with shit combat)?
I found the combat pacing and overall feel to be an improvement to PoE. Combat encounters are composed with more thought than in PoE. The bigger dungeon areas were also fun to explore, even if the cheesy stealth largely eliminates the possibility of you stumbling into an unexpected encounter - you will usually always know the enemy's numbers and position and choose when to start the combat.

The story remains pretty dull, but the factions offer you some choice on who to side with. There is some superflous reactivity, but the devs have not allowed for anything that would be too costly to implement - like visual changes to areas as result of your choices.

If you are the type who likes to experiment with builds a lot, there is much for you to like, although the perfomance gap between the better and the worse builds isn't anything huge.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Imagine getting to Neketaka and buying sails for 16.000 dollars! Only to find that a gazzillion loading screens later, you can have them basically thrown at you. Same goes for ship armor...
QdLGu5g.png

PsychoFox

Educated
Will i like this game if i didn't enjoy PoE 1 (found it boring and overall disinteresting, soul-less, with shit combat)?
I found the combat pacing and overall feel to be an improvement to PoE. Combat encounters are composed with more thought than in PoE. The bigger dungeon areas were also fun to explore, even if the cheesy stealth largely eliminates the possibility of you stumbling into an unexpected encounter - you will usually always know the enemy's numbers and position and choose when to start the combat.

The story remains pretty dull, but the factions offer you some choice on who to side with. There is some superflous reactivity, but the devs have not allowed for anything that would be too costly to implement - like visual changes to areas as result of your choices.

If you are the type who likes to experiment with builds a lot, there is much for you to like, although the perfomance gap between the better and the worse builds isn't anything huge.
Thanks for the non-fanboy response. I found PoE 1 to be absolutely bland. Not bad, or incompetent, just uninspired and boring. Combat being better is a good start. But even as someone who is not always about stories in RPGs i'm not sure if better combat would be enough to tolerate PoE 1 style writing. So little said in so many words.

Turuko

Learned
Holy fuck, it hurt saying that.

At first I didnt mind the writing, since I was not reading the gray descriptions and mostly reading my replies only to know what to click so that I get the best rewards. But now the dialogue is getting fucking painful, ekera! Ekera, oh my God! IT IS VOICED TOO EKEEERA! PLS GOOBY MAKE IT STOP! PLS
Agracima Casità!

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Play it in another language which isn't voiced. That's what I plan on doing when I get an SSD to be able to bear the loading times.
Oh boy, I have an SSD. Let me tell you some you probably already know about loading times.
I am a half autist so I collect quests to finish them off with least amount of loading screens, right, on the way so to speak. And it half worked. But.

The family feud quest is absolutely nasty. Say, you are already (generous of me) in the port map and want to do that quest.
1. You enter Bardato house. Talk.
2. You exit.
3. You enter Valeras.
4. Second floor...............
5. Down to first floor.............
6. Exit to Port
7. Bardato.
and if you are a RPG powergaymer, you can cross em etc. And the loading screens increase.
I mean, that above is 7! seven! for casual play.
Just speaking to Valera is literally 4 loading screens. xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
I want the Bardato plate but just thinking about going to Valeras puts me of it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I found PoE 1 to be absolutely bland.
I feel exactly the same. It's the expansion, both parts of it, where they really started to pay attention to the little things, felt much better in every way.

I find the writing in PoE2 to be pretty uninspired for the most part. The big picture is interesting - the story setup of a region where the local political authority is weak and foreign colonial powers are competing for influence, but the way they've realised this big picture with the dialogue and characters don't match the same level of being "part of the world" which is described in the beginning. So I'd say the writing is not consistent with the setting - you get writers writing characters more lighthearted, more "Pirates of the Carribean" and a setting that's more Treasure Isle or Shogun. I could shitpost about the writing for days, and I have, so I'll just stop here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just speaking to Valera is literally 4 loading screens. xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
I want the Bardato plate but just thinking about going to Valeras puts me of it.

During the Figstarter, they said they are going to load the entire area map, not literally room by room like they did in PoE1, but surprise, surprise they didn't do that. It's even worse in PoE2. Invest in optimization, devs! Just doing simple things like talking to people who are 2 rooms apart takes ages and loading screens upon loading screens, it's unbelievably inefficient.

AwesomeButton

Patron
They barely got their production pipeline for areas to work in PoE1. Had to postpone the whole game twice.

PsychoFox

Educated
I found PoE 1 to be absolutely bland.
I feel exactly the same. It's the expansion, both parts of it, where they really started to pay attention to the little things, felt much better in every way.

I find the writing in PoE2 to be pretty uninspired for the most part. The big picture is interesting - the story setup of a region where the local political authority is weak and foreign colonial powers are competing for influence, but the way they've realised this big picture with the dialogue and characters don't match the same level of being "part of the world" which is described in the beginning. So I'd say the writing is not consistent with the setting - you get writers writing characters more lighthearted, more "Pirates of the Carribean" and a setting that's more Treasure Isle or Shogun. I could shitpost about the writing for days, and I have, so I'll just stop here.
Yeah i hear you, but i don't think i'll play anymore PoE no matter what. There's just to many better good CRPGs i haven't played yet. I think i'll skip PoE 2 too based on the info you gave me. I can't stand that writing tbh.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

During the Figstarter, they said they are going to load the entire area map, not literally room by room like they did in PoE1, but surprise, surprise they didn't do that. It's even worse in PoE2. Invest in optimization, devs! Just doing simple things like talking to people who are 2 rooms apart takes ages and loading screens upon loading screens, it's unbelievably inefficient.
This was one of the things I was looking forward to in Deadfire. I guess Feargus just likes lying to his audience.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I doubt it's a lie, I just think they don't have competent enough programmers to do it, OR Unity is such a piece of shit, it's impossible. I suspect the former. Or they just don't want to put resources into optimizations.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I doubt it's a lie, I just think they don't have competent enough programmers to do it, OR Unity is such a piece of shit, it's impossible. I suspect the former. Or they just don't want to put resources into optimizations.

Saywer said that ship-to-ship combat was mayor resource drainer. Optimization should have been priority.

AwesomeButton

Patron

PsychoFox

Educated
Yeah i hear you, but i don't think i'll play anymore PoE no matter what. There's just to many better good CRPGs i haven't played yet. I think i'll skip PoE 2 too based on the info you gave me. I can't stand that writing tbh.
I felt the same after Deadfire's last expansion, and that made me create this thread https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ont-waste-time-with-shit-rpgs-in-2019.125439/
Thanks for sharing. I think i'll get on playing either UnderRail or Baldur's Gate 2. Yes i haven't played it yet D:

AwesomeButton

Patron
My reception of it at the age of 15 was: "jaw dropped". Today, "it has that classic epic feel about it". It's one of those games that expect you to take it slow and savor the locations and atmosphere.

PsychoFox

Educated
My reception of it at the age of 15 was: "jaw dropped". Today, "it has that classic epic feel about it". It's one of those games that expect you to take it slow and savor the locations and atmosphere.

Well as a younger player i often find these supposed masterpieces very lacking when compared to more modern games. I mean will BG2 be as good for someone who has played Dragon Age: Origins first? Not saying it's impossible, but i'm a bit jaded after a few failed experiments. Hope to be wrong though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It has nothing to do with how old you are, it's about cultivated taste. If you are expecting graphics and prettiness, don't. You'll get aesthetic, though, which is far more important.

Efe

Erudite
an old game can still look pretty.
also no need to embellish it like "cultivated taste", different have different genres they are drawn to.

PsychoFox

Educated
an old game can still look pretty.
also no need to embellish it like "cultivated taste", different have different genres they are drawn to.
I like good RPGs specially those that have both good combat and good writing. I just wonder how BG2 compares to Dragon Age in that sense, without the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

Sentinel

Arcane

Well as a younger player i often find these supposed masterpieces very lacking when compared to more modern games. I mean will BG2 be as good for someone who has played Dragon Age: Origins first? Not saying it's impossible, but i'm a bit jaded after a few failed experiments. Hope to be wrong though.
Dragon Age: Origins is a dreadfully dull piece of garbage. Seriously if you actually like DA:O's writing or combat i don't know what to tell you. It's straight out of an MMO. The main quest especially is so generic I can't even begin to understand how they managed to make something so devoid of character while feeling like a fetch quest. BG2 takes a dump on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom