Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Honey I Shrunk the Kids: RPG.
Good God. :deadtroll:

Rick Moranis Closes Deal To Return To ‘Honey, I Shrunk The Kids’ Franchise With ‘Shrunk’ At Disney

https://deadline.com/2020/02/honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-reboot-rick-moranis-1202858344/

giphy.gif

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh, don't you worry. Companies past their prime don't die that easily.

Instead, they make just one more game, and you hope it will be a return to form. Then just one more. And one more, before, finally, it has trolled itself into the grave.

(Grounded is not one of those. Grounded is just the latest Successful Video Game from ~~Obsidian~~, the Feargusian alter ego that inhabits a crossover alternate reality and occasionally pops in with other Successful Video Games such as South Park and Armoured Warfare.)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The worst aspect of PoE2 is the frequent and long loading screens.

they're even worse in #1 methinks
The problem is more how frequent they are, especially when you get to Neketaka. Every little area has its own loading screen and I didn't notice a difference between how long big and small areas load. Going into the brothel in the dock district was a nightmare. All the sub-areas in Neketaka are small and basically empty, like for example the hidden hideout of the pirates, the only thing you do there is talk to the dwarf captain, so you quickly finish that area and move on. Loading screens bombard you from everywhere and the overabundance of fetch quests makes it worse. It's a combination of long loading times on non-SSDs, fetch quests that only tell you to talk to people, small areas, and every area needing to be loaded separately. That was the main reason I stopped my all-DLC run and decided I won't play it again before I get an SSD. I honestly didn't feel like this in PoE1, yes they were quite long, but somehow not so frequent maybe, I don't know.

1) You know you can travel inside the buildings directly from the Neketaka map, yes?
2) How do you not have an SSD? What year is this?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I didn't get an SSD until last year. I was feeling tempted to replay this a couple weeks ago, but I'm really only interested in trying the DLCs.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Absolutely not.

You have 1) 'accessible' core systems (such as per encounter garbage), 2) no exp from combat, 3) systemic symmetry in everything, 4) copy pasted bland nothing lore, 5) loud annoying companions, 6) meaningless infodumps shoved down your throat, 7) no sense of growth from microscopic 0.01% stat gains, 8) pointless minigames and feature bloat, etc.

If the game was actually... *drumroll* fun, the loading screens wouldn't matter, nor would RTwP, nor would balance. The core of this franchise is rotten.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

they're even worse in #1 methinks
The problem is more how frequent they are, especially when you get to Neketaka. Every little area has its own loading screen and I didn't notice a difference between how long big and small areas load. Going into the brothel in the dock district was a nightmare. All the sub-areas in Neketaka are small and basically empty, like for example the hidden hideout of the pirates, the only thing you do there is talk to the dwarf captain, so you quickly finish that area and move on. Loading screens bombard you from everywhere and the overabundance of fetch quests makes it worse. It's a combination of long loading times on non-SSDs, fetch quests that only tell you to talk to people, small areas, and every area needing to be loaded separately. That was the main reason I stopped my all-DLC run and decided I won't play it again before I get an SSD. I honestly didn't feel like this in PoE1, yes they were quite long, but somehow not so frequent maybe, I don't know.

1) You know you can travel inside the buildings directly from the Neketaka map, yes?
2) How do you not have an SSD? What year is this?

I have an SSD and I too tire of all the loading, though again, much worse in #1

Factions are retarded in this game. There is one that offers advancing science, trading and magic and their only negative is that their leader is trading locals into slavery to cover price of those projects (which would be negative, if every other faction didn't support slavery outside of the Deadfire) and on top of it he doesn't give a fuck if you fuck slavery business up (it even gives you minor positive rating with him).
Rest of the factions: naive pirates, evil pirates, militaristic xenophobes, natives with caste system. Real head-scratcher here, Obsidian (no).

Vatnik Wumao
Factions are retarded in this game. There is one that offers advancing science, trading and magic and their only negative is that their leader is trading locals into slavery to cover price of those projects (which would be negative, if every other faction didn't support slavery outside of the Deadfire) and on top of it he doesn't give a fuck if you fuck slavery business up (it even gives you minor positive rating with him).
Rest of the factions: naive pirates, evil pirates, militaristic xenophobes, natives with caste system. Real head-scratcher here, Obsidian (no).

Except for an Aeldys-ran Principi, all factions have their merits. Whether the industrious Rauataians, the innovative Valians or the traditionalist Huana (& Principi).

I for one stand with the heirs of Old Valia reestablishing a proper state. :obviously:

Except for an Aeldys-ran Principi, all factions have their merits. Whether the industrious Rauataians, the innovative Valians or the traditionalist Huana (& Principi).

I for one stand with the heirs of Old Valia reestablishing a proper state. :obviously:
I don't know why I should side with the "we want all resources locals have, and we don't mind killing their leaders and throwing whole archipelago into chaos, to get them" approach of Royal Company. Valians lead by Castol is by far the best outcome for the world. Huana suck too, but people give them pass, because they are local aborigines.

Vatnik Wumao
I don't know why I should side with the "we want all resources locals have, and we don't mind killing their leaders and throwing whole archipelago into chaos, to get them" approach of Royal Company. Valians lead by Castol is by far the best outcome for the world. Huana suck too, but people give them pass, because they are local aborigines.
Because you might be roleplaying something other than a goody two shoes, such as a Rauataian patriot, a traditionalist Huana, an Old Valian aristocrat or a raider.

Also, at least in the RDC's case, Rauatai is also expanding into the Archipelago and civilizing the natives (such as on that island on which they've built communal longhouses for the natives, thus eroding the impact of the caste system and giving them a higher standard of living).

Because you might be roleplaying something other than a goody two shoes, such as a Rauataian patriot, a traditionalist Huana, an Old Valian aristocrat or a raider.

Also, at least in the RDC's case, Rauatai is also expanding into the Archipelago and civilizing the natives (such as on that island on which they've built communal longhouses for the natives, thus eroding the impact of the caste system and giving them a higher standard of living).
Point was, that VTC under Castol is too good compared to other factions, they needed more downsides that wouldn't make them obvious best choice (at least not on the first playthrough).

Vatnik Wumao

Point was, that VTC under Castol is too good compared to other factions, they needed more downsides that wouldn't make them obvious best choice (at least not on the first playthrough).
You’re working on the assumption that there is a universal good choice rather than one defined by the PC, first playthrough or otherwise.

And even OOC, as a player, my first choice wouldn't be the VTC either, but rather the RDC.

Delterius

Arcane

You’re working on the assumption that there is a universal good choice rather than one defined by the PC, first playthrough or otherwise.

And even OOC, as a player, my first choice wouldn't be the VTC either, but rather the RDC.
Far from it. Once someone plays the game once, twice or takes a peek at the wiki they realize that the VTC under Castol is definitely the nicest option by far. What downsides are there, even?

Vatnik Wumao
Far from it. Once someone plays the game once, twice or takes a peek at the wiki they realize that the VTC under Castol is definitely the nicest option by far. What downsides are there, even?

That's a value judgement, mate. And even if it were objectively the best option, the fact remains that roleplaying is about C&C, not metagaming the plot outcomes akin to some story equivalent to minmaxing.

That's a value judgement, mate. And even if it were objectively the best option, the fact remains that roleplaying is about C&C, not metagaming the plot outcomes akin to some story equivalent to minmaxing.
I did all no-committal quests factions had on my first playthrough and fucks from RDC were my most hated faction, cause their agent went ahead and assassinated some good-willed tribe leader just to spread chaos. Fuck them, even as evil an character.

Delterius

Arcane

I did all no-committal quests factions had on my first playthrough and fucks from RDC were my most hated faction, cause their agent went ahead and assassinated some good-willed tribe leader just to spread chaos. Fuck them, even as evil an character.
Fooken CIA.

TBH I just expected some economic exploitation from our nice, neighborly spanetalian and Castol is the copout. Not the Vailians per-se. One could still see their supremacy as a downside, considering they are a foreign power. Its like if we could leave Maia in charge of the RDC and they become nice about everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom