Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Josh keeps hating himself for Deadfire, while it was an excellent game. Its only shortcoming was that it didn't have turn-based mode right after the release.
Long exposition dumps, lore pop-ups, transitions and obnoxious loadings can be huge shortcomings for a Pillars outsider who didn't play 1st game.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Are they planning to fix the bug that makes neutrals hostile when playing tb? I feel like I might attempt one final playthrough of this.

Efe

Erudite
one would think you would appreciate orcs and elves with your neo-nazi inclinations.
didnt your realms beyond also feature those?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, it was decidedly above average overall. Particularly the quest design and character development mechanics. With some class-leading elements (itemization, graphics).
A better game package then Baldur's Gate for me.
On paper, the character building looks great, but in practice everything plays like each other depending on their archetype (melee, ranged, spellcaster). This was true in PoE1 with a few notable exceptions (Skaen Priest, two ciphers bouncing off of each other, rogue spellcaster, low-CON barbarian tank), and it's exacerbated in PoE2.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
one would think you would appreciate orcs and elves with your neo-nazi inclinations.
didnt your realms beyond also feature those?

Yes it did, but I'm so tired of the ever-same uninspired high fantasy clones which steal races from Tolkien without having half as solid worldbuilding as he did. Fantasy is supposed to be fantastical and imaginative, not derivative and stale.

I've had enough of elves, orcs, dwarves, halflings etc for a lifetime. High fantasy has just become so samey and predictable.

Also, if I were the project leader of a game (which I wasn't on Realms Beyond, so having a classic high fantasy setting was not my decision) I wouldn't do D&D-esque high fantasy. Anything but that. Either Howardesque low fantasy, Borroughsian sword & planet, 20th century pulp adventure (think Indiana Jones or an RPG version of Wolfenstein), or weird and imaginative fantasy like Morrowind or like China Mieveille's Bas-Lag. Or Star Trek style space sci-fi.

I don't mind working on high fantasy when I get paid for it, but when I get to choose the setting you're not going to see elves and dwarves anywhere.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, it was decidedly above average overall. Particularly the quest design and character development mechanics. With some class-leading elements (itemization, graphics).
A better game package then Baldur's Gate for me.
On paper, the character building looks great, but in practice everything plays like each other depending on their archetype (melee, ranged, spellcaster). This was true in PoE1 with a few notable exceptions (Skaen Priest, two ciphers bouncing off of each other, rogue spellcaster, low-CON barbarian tank), and it's exacerbated in PoE2.

It features rather crazy abilities and equipment, as well as equipment/ability synergies/interactions, which is enough to make it different and fun for me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It features rather crazy abilities and equipment, as well as equipment/ability synergies/interactions, which is enough to make it different and fun for me.
You can argue that, sure, but that has more to do with itemization, rather than character building. If classes were linear affairs like in BG, the items would still do the things they are doing and synergize well with some class abilities. Apart from that, finding ways to increase my numbers without any tangible gameplay differences is not really what I look for in character building.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The general public disliked Dumpsterfire because it and Poe1 were kinda meh.
The general public mostly liked Deadfire to be honest. It had less sales because the interest before it even released was less, not because the game was bad.
All reviews were positive, user reviews were positive, there is no indication anywhere that "the general public" disliked the game. It simply showed that the direction Sawyer got the series was not interesting regardless of how the game played

Delterius

Arcane
The general public disliked Dumpsterfire because it and Poe1 were kinda meh.
The general public mostly liked Deadfire to be honest. It had less sales because the interest before it even released was less, not because the game was bad.
All reviews were positive, user reviews were positive, there is no indication anywhere that "the general public" disliked the game. It simply showed that the direction Sawyer got the series was not interesting regardless of how the game played
thats not the general public, rather the handful of poe1 fans

the sad thing is that poe1 fans are ok with non generic high fantasy

some codexers.... are not

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Lolwat, general public doesn't know who Sawyer is, let alone care for his design decisions. Design decisions killed deadfire for iso crpg fans. Poe being Poe killed Poe for everyone else.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Lolwat, general public doesn't know who Sawyer is, let alone care for his design decisions. Design decisions killed deadfire for iso crpg fans. Poe being Poe killed Poe for everyone else.
Design decision of Sawyer = "pirate ISO RTWP CRPG released pretty close to first part" for example
I never saw any "normie" PLAYING Deadfire complain that it's not good. It simply lost interest before it was even released because , as it seems, the focus was wrong and people didn't care about it

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Deadfire is a tiresome game story wise, the pseudo-philosophy and pseudo-theology is just not interesting. Especially just how much it interrupts you, since they took the "story was vague and not connected to the game enough" to mean they should start the game with 3 intros, then interrupt you all the time with it, making the fact that it is not at all interesting even more jarring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom