Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire - now with Seeker, Slayer, Survivor DLC

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by TT1, Jul 12, 2018.

1. TT1 Savant Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's live for real now.

^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Beast of Winter mini-trailer! Coming August 2nd.

^ Top  
  4. santino27 Prophet

santino27
    Parrots:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/pillars-of-eternity-2-dlc-release-date

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Sigh.

"My realm is the gaping maw of entropy" - so the DLC takes place in Goatse realm?

:deathclaw:

• Funny x 4
    • Yes x 3
    • incline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TT1 Savant Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "Aarik what is your favorite companion?"

WHO FUCKING CARES?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿ GREAT STREAM OBSIDIAN.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    They've reached the DLC content now.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TT1 Savant Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    Ok, I got them to show a new unique great sword.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Steezus Literate Patron

Steezus
    Parrots:
    Fuck, I just started my playthrough yesterday. I only made it to Neketaka on launch and then decided to wait for patches. Codex, what do you think? Should I keep playing or wait for 2.0 + expansion?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    What I want to see is a good and big dungeon for once. Old City and Fort Deadlight weren't enough.

What I am doing atm is playing through it before the DLCs and then I'll replay it after all the DLCs are out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    They should've added katanas and nuchakus if they really want this to sell.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    OK, here's the DLC part of the stream:

^ Top  
  14. Steezus Literate Patron

Steezus
    Parrots:
    I don't know, man. They're doing three DLCs in relatively quick succession, I honestly expect them to be limited in scope.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But I'm afraid an end game party is gonna screw up the difficulty and turn the DLCs into mundane babby encounters.

^ Top  
  15. Alpan Novice Patron

Alpan
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    2 sec snap judgment sez Alex Scokel doesn't quite inspire confidence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Safav Hamon Learned The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    Parrots:
    Vatnir is awesome

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    I meant replay it from the beginning with a new party, not with my first party.

Is Vatnir the Rymrgand godlike we saw the portrait of?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Steezus Literate Patron

Steezus
    Parrots:

Oh my bad, misread your post. Yeah, fuck it, I'll just continue playing.

Huh, so according to the stream, the DLC doesn't raise the level cap and is only 10 bucks. I hope I'm mistaken, but it does sound like it's going to be on a smaler scalle compared to White March.

^ Top  
  19. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    I mean, why raise the level cap at all? It's already level 20, and there's no content in the base game for post level 15 anyway.

If anything what they need to do is add late-level encounters tuned for levels 15-20, not necessary to raise the cap.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Steezus Literate Patron

Steezus
    Parrots:
    Looting crates for booze and RP slow walking through a village. Fucking riveting exclusive DLC gameplay you got there, Obsidian.

As I mentioned earlier, I only made it to Neketaka. I haven't the faintest idea how balanced (lol) the end game is. I just mentioned the lack of level cap since I imagine that the DLCs are going to be smaller in scope compared to White March. But I agree with you, designing better encounters and content for high level parties is preferable to just slapping two additional levels onto the characters and calling it a day.

But you know, slapping two additional levels onto the characters and calling it a day is pretty much what I imagine peak game design looks like over at Obsidian.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    ^ Top  
  21. tjorb Novice

tjorb
    Parrots:
    Just finished the game. Here are my unsolicited thoughts on the ending and the giant plot hole.

Show Spoiler
    The actual ending choices are destroy the machine with some slight variations and destroy everything. Pretty weak. Worse than the endings in Pillars 1. No choices made up to this point seem to influence any of them either.
    Where it gets stupid is when you consider his reasons for doing this and he somehow believes kith will remake the wheel. It isn't even explained what impact destroying the wheel has except starving the gods and maybe making everyone just live one life but that isn't confirmed.
    That would mean there is a finite pool of souls left. No idea how many more generations of kith can be born.
    If that doesn't happen then they are better off without gods.

Now for the plot hole, it has to do with their retcon of engwithans building the wheel. Thaos dialogue in the first game indicate they found the wheel. It seemed like a natural thing when souls cycle between eora and the other side. Now it's a machine.
    That is a huge retcon and it brings even more questions with it.
    How could they live before the wheel if supposedly, souls aren't reborn.
    Josh sawyer even responds to this question by saying that they cut the dialogue with eothas that explained it. That's BS, he is only trying to cover their mistake.

Having done Maia's quests fucks over most small island settlements. Great idea,
    There was basically nothing to the main story, go to 3-4? places and choose a faction(or don't and get even worse ending slides).
    The rest is filler side quests.

The combat is honestly shit. I made A.I intructions and the game played itself on PotD. Thank god for that.
    Worse than the first game shockingly enough.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Feyd Rautha Augur Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    the party size limit of five is getting on my nerves. should be an option to play with six characters really

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    Perhaps when the upcoming editor drops someone will find a way to shoe-horn in a 6th controllable character by fucking with the summons/pet slot.

^ Top  
  24. Safav Hamon Learned The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    Parrots:
    He said it's larger than Bastards Wound

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    Parrots:
    Having a party limited to five characters is pretty unusual. In most RPGs, it's either six (the classical size) or four (unsatisfying). I think that having five characters works surprisingly well.

Besides, you get a sixth character to manage in combat if Maia's in the party (and you can even get a seventh one if the PC himself is a ranger).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)