Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any multiclass combination where one class has powerful passives (Cipher, Warrior, Barb, Chanter) and the other has powerful actives, blows most single classes out of the water, with the exception of single class Monk and certain pure caster setups.

Theoretically yes, in-game no. Because of how Power Level scales low level abilities (increases the base) you need a borderline broken interaction to overcome the difference.

For instance, which Barb/X do you think is stronger than Barb or X alone?

Barb / Cipher and Barb / Wizard for example. But most possible combinations before PL VIII.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nobody from the codex has been able to defeat the first megaboss yet. I doubt the second will be any easier.
I haven't reached them yet, still on lvl 8 with my powergaming run. But given the performance I'm seeing so far, this party will kick ass.

I'm very interested in the new UI customization options but also in the ability to import characters as recruitable characters into taverns. If it's going to be possible to share characters through nexus mods, people will finally get a good platform for sharing builds. The current mediums - youtube videos and posts buried in forum threads - are not really attractive to a big part of the players.

Barbarian / Fighter is better tank than Fighter and better damage dealer and crowd control than a pure Barbarian. It's also extremely flexible, and can be used in both roles.

Parabalus

Arcane
Any multiclass combination where one class has powerful passives (Cipher, Warrior, Barb, Chanter) and the other has powerful actives, blows most single classes out of the water, with the exception of single class Monk and certain pure caster setups.

Theoretically yes, in-game no. Because of how Power Level scales low level abilities (increases the base) you need a borderline broken interaction to overcome the difference.

Barb / Cipher and Barb / Wizard for example. But most possible combinations before PL VIII.

You mean Barb / Soul Blade? That's pgood if you use an AoE weapon for Soul Annihilation but worse than Rogue / SB IMO.

x / Wizard is rarely bad because of how Grimoires work (and Vaporous wizardry being ridic), but just Wizard is usually better. Guessing you mean Citzals use?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Paladin/Barbarian as a tank is better than single-class Paladin alone. You get the ridiculous damage, but also the high defenses of Paladin, meaning you can tank while dual-wielding.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
No, I mean Ascendant/Berserker with Blood Thirst spam of Ascended powers, particularly Amplified Wave. Plus Blood Rage and Brute Force with Mind Blades.

And no again. Blood Thirst makes an excellent nuker, Berserker Frenzy ensures bonus speed, damage and penetration.

If I were going for the Lance, I'd use a Monk (Stunning Surge, Anguish, high Int, speed, aoe, duration boosts), Fighter (Clear Out, Mule Kick), SoulBlade (aoe SA) or Rogue (aoe DoTs, sneak, abilities). Though Paladin would also work well, but be less interesting.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Depends what are you trying to accomplish with the character. Barb is a versatile class, do you want an utility bot? Barb/Chanter. Full tank? Barb/Fighter. Heck, I've had a bow wielding ranged Barb/Rogue and he was wrecking absolute havoc.

That's not to say that single classes are not viable. But aside from Monks and some casters, the main advantage as I see it, is single class characters make very good all-rounders. If you prefer to make things up as you go and not go full autist mode before the game even starts, you can make that single class Figher/Pala/Barb and they will do whatever job you set for them. But if you want your guys to perform some specialized role, multi-classing them is generally superior option.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Paladin/Barbarian as a tank is better than single-class Paladin alone. You get the ridiculous damage, but also the high defenses of Paladin, meaning you can tank while dual-wielding.

Sure, doable. But I'd vastly prefer a Rogue multiclass with that Paladin. Barbarians are a pretty bad class for me in this game. They have good passives (still very inferior to rogues, particularly for single targets) but are missing good actives (before SC level 16) and bad survivability.

But they do work for caster multiclasses due to the strong passives.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Hmmm… Interesting, I'll have to try that. I get decent FPS on most maps, but no matter the settings (including on low), I experience sudden drops every two-three minutes, for no apparent reason.

Parabalus

Arcane
On a related note, how do you guys have AI setup for self-buffs?

e.g. monk's Swift Flurry, the Obsidian AI has it on "NOT DEX Inspiration", which is great unless you get hit by a suppression, in which case it drains your entire PPP instantly. Alternatively it's Always True with a CD=Duration, but you have to update that every time you get a Power Level.

Also, any way to set Dance of Death up nicely? Cast on combat start and ignore otherwise.

entr0py

Scholar
On a related note, how do you guys have AI setup for self-buffs?

e.g. monk's Swift Flurry, the Obsidian AI has it on "NOT DEX Inspiration", which is great unless you get hit by a suppression, in which case it drains your entire PPP instantly. Alternatively it's Always True with a CD=Duration, but you have to update that every time you get a Power Level.

Also, any way to set Dance of Death up nicely? Cast on combat start and ignore otherwise.

I also use the "NOT DEX Inspiration" setup (and the same for other buffs governing other attribute inspirations) but I pair that also with a timer, which has approximately the same (but somewhat shorter) time delay as my inspiration's duration so in case of an arcane dampener it doesn't get used up instantly. I also do another setup for inspirations which is "IF have XXX affliction" then counter it with the right inspiration. Also as a failsafe I usually limit the usage of all these to have at least 2-3 class resource remaining after cast, so it can't happen that i'm all out of class resources by the automated script.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Barbarian / Fighter is better damage dealer a pure Barbarian.

Doubtful. Unless you aren't factoring in HoF's potential for abuse
here are two advantages:
1. If it lives longer it can cause damage for longer, obviously. My main problem with the Barbarian is how quickly it falls, with its base Deflection of 15.
2. Can engage more enemies - likely makes better use of carnage

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Barbarian / Fighter is better tank than Fighter and better damage dealer and crowd control than a pure Barbarian. It's also extremely flexible, and can be used in both roles.

True. But IMO Swashbucklers or Holy Slayers will be better both at tanking and at dealing damage.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Barbarians aren't a bad class, they're just bad Barbarians. They're pretty good if you make them into frontline offtank/disruptor kind of guy, but that's not a typical image of a Barb people have in their heads I guess. Plus Konstanten's battle laugh is the best thing in the whole game.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Behold the new megaboss

CPDLcM0.jpg

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Hylea Challenge. She has 1 hp and can die from friendly fire, so this is a tough one.

6HhSyis.jpg

Rymrgand Challenge. Good food spoils between 1-3 days. Shitty food like rice and hardtacks can last over a week.

K7ZKlDm.jpg
lX2IM6S.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom