Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Extra hitpoints mean very little when they come with a Deflection debuff whenever you're using a core ability.
The Barbarian's 5pts deflection penalty equals the Fighter's 5pts deflection bonus at level 1. So in the end your multiclass barbarian/fighter starts out with the standard 20 deflection at lvl 1.

Quillon

Arcane
Hylea Challenge. She has 1 hp and can die from friendly fire, so this is a tough one.

6HhSyis.jpg
is she with you the entire game?
that sounds awful.

Ekera, why 1 hp? Racism towards orlans I say.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Extra hitpoints mean very little when they come with a Deflection debuff whenever you're using a core ability.
The Barbarian's 5pts deflection penalty equals the Fighter's 5pts deflection bonus at level 1. So in the end your multiclass barbarian/fighter starts out with the standard 20 deflection at lvl 1.

That's not true:
Fighter: 25 Deflection
Barbarian: 15 Deflection
Brute: 17 Deflection

But I actually meant the additional 10 Deflection penalty triggered by Barbarian Frenzy. So that's a total loss of 18 Deflection compared to a pure Fighter. Unless you don't care about the main Barbarian ability.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's not true:

But I actually meant the additional 10 Deflection penalty triggered by Barbarian Frenzy. So that's a total loss of 18 Deflection compared to a pure Fighter. Unless you don't care about the main Barbarian ability.
Strange, all this time I thought "average" meant sum of the two, divided by 2.

Ok, Barbarian/Fighter is not as good a tank as pure Fighter then. At least judging by the numbers. To test it will require some time however.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
That's actually rather moot, as with Unbending and reasonable tactics he can survive mostly everything, even with 0 Deflection. Thing is, he's not a good damage dealer either - compared with other multiclasses.

AwesomeButton

Patron
That's actually rather moot, as with Unbending and reasonable tactics he can survive mostly everything, even with 0 Deflection. Thing is, he's not a good damage dealer either - compared with other multiclasses.
Probably, I need to test various builds and class combination in order to state anything definitive. Rogue/Fighter for example - how good is that as a melee damage dealer?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, not quite as good as a pure glass cannon. But very solid. Actually living trough damage and keep dishing it also has value.
Depends a lot on the individual build. A Trickster / Unbroken will play quite different from a Devoted / Streetfighter for example. The former will survive everything and dish out solid damage in return (consider Riposte), the latter needs to be careful sometimes (particularly prior to level 13 and Unbending), but wrecks face, charging in the middle of enemy pack (Streetfighter bonuses are crazy).

I have a build like that, if you're interested:
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105365-class-build-armorbreaker/

Leveled him to 17, passed Magran's Teeth, but left that game for now in favor of a Transcendant main. Was quite happy with the performance (and the awesome weapon he used, Engoliero de Espirs), but it got slightly repetitive.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
I've played a streetfighter in my gods' challenges run. The problem is, he tends to charge in the middle of enemies, then gets killed after scoring a couple of hits.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Was it a Swashbuckler - Fighter multiclass? Or Holy Slayer - Paladin multiclass? Those generally can take care of themselves.

Alternatively ranged Streetfighters with Blunderbusses are also very good.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Was it a Swashbuckler - Fighter multiclass? Or Holy Slayer - Paladin multiclass? Those generally can take care of themselves.

Alternatively ranged Streetfighters with Blunderbusses are also very good.
I have to check to tell you - either a Swashbuckler or pure Rogue.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Cause a Swashbuckler can survive A LOT. Even with no deflection. Well, early on the fighter's recovery isn't particularly potent (but still helpful!), so you have to be carefull.
Things improve with levels and after Unbending (it's important to have good Int!), you can usually charge straight into middle of enemy pack.

I really like about Streetfighter that his recovery boost makes two-handed weapons more then viable. Duals are only ~15% faster for them and the damage + penetration two-hander advantage for auto-attacks is much bigger. Full attack - duals still win, I guess, but by a lesser margin nowadays.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
does SSS get any better?

my experience thus far:

go to island
loading screen
enter arena
loading screen
do arena popamole
loading screen
get sent on some fetch quest
loading screen
loading screen
fight trash mobs
loading screen
loading screen
do arena popamole
loading screen
loading screen
fight trash mobs
loading screen
loading screen
do arena popamole

etc.

Codex Year of the Donut
does SSS get any better?

my experience thus far:

go to island
loading screen
enter arena
loading screen
do arena popamole
loading screen
loading screen
loading screen
fight trash mobs
loading screen
loading screen
do arena popamole
loading screen
loading screen
fight trash mobs
loading screen
loading screen
do arena popamole

etc.
oh cool they already decided to copy pathfinder:kingmaker

AwesomeButton

Patron
does SSS get any better?

my experience thus far:

go to island
loading screen
enter arena
loading screen
do arena popamole
loading screen
loading screen
loading screen
fight trash mobs
loading screen
loading screen
do arena popamole
loading screen
loading screen
fight trash mobs
loading screen
loading screen
do arena popamole

etc.
From observing my wife's playthrough, that seems to be it. Also, lots of locations on the island turn out to be just scripted interactions which at most lead to one map where you have to fight. Kind of disappointing. I haven't played it myself yet though.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
does SSS get any better?

my experience thus far:

go to island
loading screen
enter arena
loading screen
do arena popamole
loading screen
loading screen
loading screen
fight trash mobs
loading screen
loading screen
do arena popamole
loading screen
loading screen
fight trash mobs
loading screen
loading screen
do arena popamole

etc.

No, that's pretty much it, excluding the finale of the main quest.

AwesomeButton

Patron
That's not true:

Ok, Barbarian/Fighter is not as good a tank as pure Fighter then. At least judging by the numbers. To test it will require some time however.
I am indeed right. The "Brute" starts with 20, not 17 Deflection.
upload_2018-10-20_16-21-52.png

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
That's not true:

I am indeed right. The "Brute" starts with 20, not 17 Deflection.
Okay, so I admit Iwas mistaken (and it was an error to base info on the wiki).

Doesn't change the fact that if you use Frenzy, you're another 10 Deflection down.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Okay, so I admit Iwas mistaken (and it was an error to base info on the wiki).

Doesn't change the fact that if you use Frenzy, you're another 10 Deflection down.
When I got to level 10 I took that ability for the fighter that adds 20 to all defenses and adds some inspiration, to somewhat balance the deflection loss.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
did they bother to give Vela any new content or does their absolutely retarded decision to go for full voice acting mean Nemnok as a pet still has more content than her?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom