Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Important change with this patch - Maura's writhing tentacles are no longer under your control, they attack whoever the AI chooses. God, this patch changes so many things for the worse.

late to the party, i need to fill the void left by the slow development of kingmaker.
so, i left the first poe relatively soon because of the boring (and frequent) fights. should i give it another chance or go for this one instead?
you can also vote with a click: "incline" for poe2, "decline" for the first one.

Parabalus

Arcane
Important change with this patch - Maura's writhing tentacles are no longer under your control, they attack whoever the AI chooses. God, this patch changes so many things for the worse.

You could control them beforehand? Had no idea.

Which will happen first, dumpsterfire the complete collection or kingmaker being playable?

Bugfinder:Patchmaker is pretty ok for the first 2 chapters atm. Ran into the same level of trivial bugs in 3.0 Dumpsterfire.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The second game is better, but it actually feels worse.
care to explain further, please?

I talked about this a bit here:

You know I was thinking, despite being in love with age of exploration, sail ships in gunpowder era, history of colonialism and all else this game is supposed to be about, why I couldn't get into dumpsterfire at all, while I played PoE1 twice.

It's because both games feel lifeless and sterile due to a lack of ability to invoke emotion and the whole thing feeling like a drudge go through especially in text, however in PoE1 this accidentally adds to the atmosphere of the game because the game becomes a lot more melancholic and depressive which actually supports whatever narrative there is. It feels sufficiently entertaining because it gives off an aura of wading through despair.

In dumpsterfire, the game is not supposed to feel like this. It's supposed to be high in energy and conflict, yet it still feels lifeless and sterile. If it wasn't the fact the exploration actually feels like a legitimate exploration then it would be downright unplayable.

It's also the fact that I was willing to forgive much more with their first game and take in whatever experimental take they might try, it also felt refreshing in some ways due timeline of when it came out. They had the potential of making a great game where they left PoE1 at white march, but then they went ahead and made a polished dumpsterfire, however if you are in it for mainly combat and exploration the second game is a better crafted game.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
late to the party, i need to fill the void left by the slow development of kingmaker.
so, i left the first poe relatively soon because of the boring (and frequent) fights. should i give it another chance or go for this one instead?
you can also vote with a click: "incline" for poe2, "decline" for the first one.

what rating for The White March?

White March >>> Dumpsterfire >>>>>> Pillars of Eternity

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So the day finaly came. People are developing nostalgic feelings for PoE1. I give it 6 months before it will be hailed as a golden era classic that won our hearts before dark era of decline fell upon earth once again. Then we shall proceed to spend the next 10 years, telling riveting tales of the thrill when we first met Eder, the excitement of looting our first 50 identical spears, the terror we felt upon seeing the first band of Xaurips. All while completely ignoring such glorious features and achivements of game design like:

-"unique loot" that consists of the same 5 items copypasted all over again with different description
- combat encounters consisting of clusters of randomly mixed trashmobs
- "2nd big city" with amount of content that could barely fill a broom closet
- retarded backer content cluttering entire maps and cities
- epic main plot that begins with incredibly powerful story where your player character gets diarrhea so violent that it stops entire caravans
- entire base game having a total of 1 fight that isn't shit.

:desu:

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
I am looking for a isometric Crpg too and can't find anything good on recent games. Any suggestion? (on modern games)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
22.7% of GOG players have the achievement "Confront Eothas in Ukaizo".

My wife finished the game. Thoroughly disgusted with the Ukaizo section and the ending. I advised her to play Fallout next. Shorter game, better writing.

Mine finished it too. She thought POE1 was okay but kind of dull, got sucked heavily into POE2 and then hated the ending. I suspect another DA2 playthrough is imminent although she's been eyeing my copy of PF:K.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes. In Deadfire they wouldn't even automatically attack enemies unless you give them targets. In PoE they would autoattack, but you could still change their target.
People are developing nostalgic feelings for PoE1
I sure am not among those.

2house2fly

Magister
Yes. In Deadfire they wouldn't even automatically attack enemies unless you give them targets.
I think most summons inherit your character's AI settings, or they did at launch. I'm sure I remember summons standing around doing nothing, then after I turned Autoattack AI on they'd start going mental

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The only girl I've met who was into games, would occupy my high-end gaming PC and play solitare for hours. Meanwhile I was stuck on a 5-year old laptop that took 5 minutes to boot and launch a browser.

Never again.

I'm not understanding why you didn't just let her play solitaire on the laptop.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The only girl I've met who was into games, would occupy my high-end gaming PC and play solitare for hours. Meanwhile I was stuck on a 5-year old laptop that took 5 minutes to boot and launch a browser.

Never again.

I'm not understanding why you didn't just let her play solitaire on the laptop.

No chance Jose. Solitaire was her me-time. I'd rather not have multiple stab wounds.

Seriously though, we're not talking casual player mindlessly killing time at your generic grandpa Solitaire. It was either some complex variations that I could barely manage to beat myself, or working on speed records and so on. If you're that serious about it, why the hell not, have a bigger screen and a reliable PC where it's more comfortable to play.

Codex Year of the Donut

Never again.
Install a linux distro and this problem goes away.
They can't use the computer if they don't understand how to use it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, this thread is dead along with the game (as FreeKaner would say). Has anyone tried the new mega boss oooooor?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom