Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Yosharian

Arcane
The game didn't sell enough copies to recoup the development costs, what plans could they realistically have? Maybe another sidekick? Megaboss with accompanying lore book? Nemnok's challenge?
Has that actually been confirmed?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Ni No Kuni, Octopath Traveler, Dumpsterfire. Amazingly enough it may actually be the best pick out of those.
Alas poor Kingmaker, too lacking in marketing or pedigree to get on a list like this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You mean too lacking in bug-free gameplay
Even on release the bugs didn't truly hit until after chapter 3 which is many dozens of hours in. Journalists are only interested in giving props to things with huge marketing/word-of-mouth or things hardly anyone's ever heard of that they all personally like (Obsidian; most people don't even care about Deadfire).

Quillon

Arcane
Its strange seeing there are 43 reviews gave the game 90 and above.

Also MCA's great Obsidian legacy :D
Average career score: 76
Highest Metascore: 89 Pillars of Eternity
Lowest Metascore: 57 Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road

From that list Monster Hunter World has the same meta and prolly a lot more players so it will get it. Also that Geoff dude loves putting Japanese people on stage, not that it would matter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It is pretty keen how Chris had both the highest rated DLC (OWB) and the lowest (LR). Meanwhile Balance-man gets the most balanced.

Lonesome Road deserved those scores too. Chris Avellone Lectures the Player Through a Rorschach-wannabe and Has a Childish Tantrum Over the Post-Post-Apocalypse: The Game.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Lonesome Road was garbage. It was a crappy linear FPS with reskinned enemies and loot. I hated the lame backstory it gave the courier too.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The problem with Honest Hearts was how boring Zion Valley was to explore. The story, characters, and lore were all on point.

Fairfax

Arcane
It is pretty keen how Chris had both the highest rated DLC (OWB) and the lowest (LR). Meanwhile Balance-man gets the most balanced.
If you look at Steam reviews, it's still true that he has the highest and lowest rated DLC, but the order is very different:
  1. Lonesome Road 92.03%
  2. Old World Blues 91.79%
  3. Honest Hearts 83.95%
  4. Dead Money 64.89%
Lonesome Road deserved those scores too. Chris Avellone Lectures the Player Through a Rorschach-wannabe and Has a Childish Tantrum Over the Post-Post-Apocalypse: The Game.
I'm disappointed. Didn't expect you to have the same view as the bethesda fanbase. :M

2house2fly

Magister
It didn't give the Courier a backstory, the Courier already has a backstory: you're a courier, you deliver shit.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
You delivered the activation codes to nuclear bombs which killed thousands. That's a heavier backstory then what you suggest.

What made the courier the best protagonist in the series was that he had no history, and then Chris fucks it up with his story faggotry.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am actually playing the new vegas DLCs for the first time.. completed Honest Hearts.. it was boring and mostly filled with fetch quests. then I played dead money and I heard that was bad but I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Yosharian

Arcane
I've tried several times to do Lonesome Road and every time I get utterly bored within the first hour or two. The encounter design is really off-putting and I don't find the beginning of the storyline interesting at all.. some stupid guy I don't know lecturing me about shit I find it difficult to care about.

Maybe it gets much better if you push through those first couple of hours, but the other issue is by the time I get to Lonesome Road I'm always a little tired of the game, having probably done most of the main game and some of the other DLCs since they have lower level requirements. So I've never pushed through it and experienced the DLC fully, which is a constant annoyance but I just can't ever summon the proper motivation when I actually sit down to play it.

I came up with an interesting Logan's Loophole build the other day which made me want to replay the game one final time, but godamn, it'd be the 8th playthrough or something ridiculous like that and I'm just tired of the game now.

I am actually playing the new vegas DLCs for the first time.. completed Honest Hearts.. it was boring and mostly filled with fetch quests. then I played dead money and I heard that was bad but I actually kind of enjoyed it.

I also liked Dead Money, but I do hate some of the mechanics/design elements. I really liked the fact that, with a little ingenuity, you can get away with the [REDACTED] at the end.

Honest Hearts was boring as fuck, but it had some interesting characters.

Actually I find that Old World Blues, despite having some of the most interesting characters, is quite bad in how many of the quests are just fetch quests. I still like the DLC but damn, replaying it for nth time gets really old. The loot is great, though.

Overall I think FONV is a game filled with interesting characters and factions, attached to a shitty engine with shitty combat, and lumbered with some bad quest design in places.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
You delivered the activation codes to nuclear bombs which killed thousands. That's a heavier backstory then what you suggest.

What made the courier the best protagonist in the series was that he had no history, and then Chris fucks it up with his story faggotry.
That's not backstory because you didn't know it happened. That's the point, it's a stand-in for the Platinum Chip- if not for Benny the Courier would have delivered the Chip, profoundly altering the balance of power in the Mojave, and sauntered off back to California none the wiser

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Last year they didn't eve bother with the proper announcing of Best RPG of the year.

I actually want to see Deadfire win, so that we can have some codexers meltdown to watch.

It deserves to win. It is a really good game and it has no competition... Some butthurt trolls claim Dragon Quest XI is better.... Seriously you weeaboo faggots? Has rpgcodex stooped so fucking low that you claim an 80s console jrpg on a mediocre 3d engine with cartoon graphics is better than a proper isometric crpg? Do you hate Obsidian so much after they clashed with Avellone that you are willing to become otakus out of spite? Next time, play some hentai games too, it will do some good to your non-existent sexlife, fags.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last year they didn't eve bother with the proper announcing of Best RPG of the year.

I actually want to see Deadfire win, so that we can have some codexers meltdown to watch.

It deserves to win. It is a really good game and it has no competition... Some butthurt trolls claim Dragon Quest XI is better.... Seriously you weeaboo faggots? Has rpgcodex stooped so fucking low that you claim an 80s console jrpg on a mediocre 3d engine with cartoon graphics is better than a proper isometric crpg? Do you hate Obsidian so much after they clashed with Avellone that you are willing to become otakus out of spite? Next time, play some hentai games too, it will do some good to your non-existent sexlife, fags.

nice bait

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The final expansion:

ss_cf991f83ca8c2fe41b36e7d43a11991b2667ea00.1920x1080.jpg

When a violent tremor shatters the islands of the Deadfire, the greatest wizards in Eora seek out the aid of the Watcher. The archmage Maura has vanished into the depths of a newly opened dungeon located in the Black Isles and threatens to awaken what lies forgotten there. Follow Maura's trail and determine the fate of one of the Deadfire Archipelago's most closely-held secrets.
  • Traverse an expansive dungeon built into the flesh of a sleeping god.
  • Encounter the highest-level challenges yet faced by the Watcher and their companions.
  • Scheme with or defy the wills of Eora's most powerful wizards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Press release: https://gamasutra.com/view/pressrel..._ETERNITY_II_DEADFIRE_ARRIVES_ON_DEC_13th.php

Irvine, California – November 20th, 2018 - Genre-defining RPG developer Obsidian Entertainment, in partnership with indie powerhouse publisher Versus Evil, is today announcing that the final paid expansion, titled "The Forgotten Sanctum" for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, will arrive on December 13th.

“The Forgotten Sanctum” brings a new adventure to the Deadfire Archipelago as the Archmages of Eora seek the Watcher to assist in keeping a potential catastrophe that looks to be set by a fellow Archmage at bay. With new quests and an immense dungeon to explore, the Forgotten Sanctum awaits those brave enough to enter.

Alongside "The Forgotten Sanctum" comes the 4.0 update patch for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. This update brings with it a host of new features, additional God Challenges, and two new Mega Bosses for Watchers and their crew to battle against.

The final paid Deadfire DLC will launch on December 13th for $9.99 and is also included as part of the Season Pass and in the Obsidian Edition of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

Features:
  • Traverse an expansive dungeon built into the flesh of a sleeping god.
  • Encounter the highest-level challenges yet faced by the Watcher and their companions.
  • Scheme with or defy the wills of Eora's most powerful wizards.
  • Two new mega bosses

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fobsidian-media%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Fupdate-57%2Fdeadfire-contenttimeline-10.25.18-500p.png

Two mega-bosses, eh? Did they uncancel the one that disappeared from the latest roadmap, or is it the one next to Woedica?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom