Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Oh that's nice, they're doing these streams on YouTube now:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Never forget a ragtag team of interns did better job of making a DLC for POE and a random system designer added more interesting subclasses than what Sawyer and his legion of funkillers did.

How does a certain DLC called The White March figure into this equation

Seems to me the pattern is more unambiguously "DLC > base game" than "interns > Sawyer".

Why not both? Was Sawyer involved in White March?

Base PoE1 is mediocre, White March is very enjoyable. It seems that similar pattern is following with deadfire as well, except this time around Sawyer is even less involved leading into even more disparity.

There's also the possibility of the DLCs being much more focused than the base game. SSS is a perfect example of that. Base PoE1 is terrible, it had an awful development cycle and it needed a mountain of patches to get it to a somewhat playable state, which is still bad, but WM seems to be a microcosm of the base game and it works better. Not only because WM1 doesn't concern itself with the god nonsense, but also because it's not stretched so thin. Yet, it's still a collection of ideas like base game. If PoE + WM was twice the size of only WM and just as good, it would've been a pretty good game and not one which is either hated or tolerated only by specific people.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Never forget a ragtag team of interns did better job of making a DLC for POE and a random system designer added more interesting subclasses than what Sawyer and his legion of funkillers did.

How does a certain DLC called The White March figure into this equation

Seems to me the pattern is more unambiguously "DLC > base game" than "interns > Sawyer".

Why not both? Was Sawyer involved in White March?

Base PoE1 is mediocre, White March is very enjoyable. It seems that similar pattern is following with deadfire as well, except this time around Sawyer is even less involved leading into even more disparity.

There's also the possibility of the DLCs being much more focused than the base game. SSS is a perfect example of that. Base PoE1 is terrible, it had an awful development cycle and it needed a mountain of patches to get it to a somewhat playable state, which is still bad, but WM seems to be a microcosm of the base game and it works better. Not only because WM1 doesn't concern itself with the god nonsense, but also because it's not stretched so thin. If PoE + WM was twice the size of only WM and just as good, it would've been a pretty good game and not one which is either hated or tolerated only by specific people.

I do agree with this but whose fault is it if not the director? Them trying to do so many things in plot at once, general disconnect between acts, emphasising worst parts of the setting they themselves created, losing focus and just being uneven, story trying to be deep and philosophical, but also a grand journey, at the same time attempting to be low fantasy adventure and just falling flat as well as other problems are fault of whom?

Joshua "League of Legends is Apex of Video Game Design" Sawyer is a boring person who is not as deep as he thinks. He can do system analysis and genre deconstruction which are useful skills in game development but not for directing, he can also provide historical and materiel detail about history & arms and armour, he should be the Team Autist.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I do agree with this but whose fault is it if not the director? Them trying to do so many things in plot at once, general disconnect between acts, emphasising worst parts of the setting they themselves created, losing focus and just being uneven, story trying to be deep and philosophical, but also a grand journey, at the same time attempting to be low fantasy adventure and just falling flat as well as other problems are fault of whom?

Joshua "League of Legends is Apex of Video Game Design" Sawyer is a boring person who is not as deep as he thinks. He can do system analysis and genre deconstruction which are useful skills in game development but not for directing, he can also provide historical and materiel detail about history & arms and armour, he should be the Team Autist.

For the first game, perhaps nobody is at fault, I understand why PoE1 base game is the way it is. For DF, however, you are right. Base DF could've easily been better than it is and perhaps it's Sawyer's fault for not seeing where the strengths of this franchise and his team lie.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
There is also the problem of Sawyer's combat philosophies, which makes it amount to synergies and attrition at grand total with alpha strikes being the only game changers. This likely has to do with Sawyer's visceral hatred for hard disables (probably his obsession with eugenics) and hard counters (probably about Eastern Front), Pillars combat could be improved greatly by only adding few hard disables and few rock & paper & scissors mechanics.

They did improve the general combat in second game overall, both affliction & status effects and more interesting spells but this time around Sawyer made the trees for classes a lot more like MMO to tame the multiclasses, itemisation is fairly good in both games. However still, I think combat is the greatest improvement over first one, except for again Sawyer's streamlining obsession making item types all have same baseline along speed and only diverge minimally from this basis. So you have a flail and a dagger essentially act as a same weapon only marginally differentiated by modal abilities (but not by far). Everything else is a side step at best.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
They made a big mistake in putting so much content into the DLC. Why would I buy the game before the 'complete edition' comes out with all DLC bundled together? They released an unfinished game and expected people to buy it, then buy the rest of the content as it's made.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Are challenges only unlocked when you beat the game once? If not, how do you turn them on?

Ulfhednar

Savant
Are challenges only unlocked when you beat the game once? If not, how do you turn them on?
It's a little hidden on the main menu - click on Magrans skull underneath the main panel with "New Game", "Continue", etc.

edit: Ninja'd by Quillon and Safav Hamon

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's like they didn't want anybody to find them, lol. Anyway, is it still a good idea to get the reduced xp gain mod? Any other mods that are must-haves?

They made a big mistake in putting so much content into the DLC. Why would I buy the game before the 'complete edition' comes out with all DLC bundled together? They released an unfinished game and expected people to buy it, then buy the rest of the content as it's made.
In my case at least it's because it wasn't too far off 'complete edition' pricing for what I spent on it. Figstarter with good boy discount was $24, then I bought the season pass on sale for $16, so $40 and I played the game at launch and then sat on my ass until the DLC was done to play it a second time and see if it got any better. Not as cheap as it'll ultimately be of course but it seemed reasonable enough at the time, even if I almost skipped the DLC and said fuck replaying it entirely.

2house2fly

Magister
This is the first time I've seen someone suggest that the DLCs had too much content

Codex Year of the Donut
This is the first time I've seen someone suggest that the DLCs had too much content
Really? You've never seen complaints that developers are cutting their games up and simply selling them to you piece by piece to make more money?
This image dates to about 2012:
o0y1SLQ.jpg

Ulfhednar

Savant
Haven't finished it yet, but I think Forgotten Sanctum is gonna have some of the better content in the game. The area designs have fairly large maps that interconnect, the enemies use (some of) their class abilities, and the writing is serviceable. I can't get into the "restricted" part of the library, and I can't tell if my game is bugged, or if I'm just missing another entrance to the map, so I'm stopping there for now.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It'll make for a nice story, let's agree on this lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom