Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

troz

Educated
Too late. He already made a great mechanic, he can hate it for all I care.

Spirit Meter is a great mechanic, cause it also works as the perfect retard detector.

They gave you the ability of supressing to avoid failure. Towards the end of the game, this ability completely negates any loss of spirit. Even with this crutch however, dumbfucks complained about it.

The cool kids just devour all the gods, of course. :obviously:

2house2fly

Magister
I can't remember if it's that conversation or the next one, but someone says something like "I wish we hadn't discarded our bodies". You also see the gods' bodies at Ukaizo at the end of the game

frajaq

Erudite
lads...

yUjZBHZ.jpg

Nj086AA.jpg

2LdiuNt.jpg

Efe

Erudite
a guy on discord has the game open and says hes got videos.
12th challenge is potd solo, no mods, no blessings + all other challenges
unknown.png

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Apparently that's something that they may or may not be baking in preparation for decline enabling i.e. console release, but something spilled at some point and data leaked which should not have leaked.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Apparently it was removed immediately. WTF is this?

It's Pillars team understanding that the system Sawyer designed for PoE2 truly only works for turn-based.

It lasted a few seconds, but felt like an eternity.
I made the call, "push the update today, deal with the boss later". We worked our asses off to completely overhaul and rebalance the game around a proper turn-based system. We didn't have much experience when we started, but our candid good will and desire to produce the best content we could logically dropped us on this path. The path of incline.
We had put all our hearts whole into it, focalizing our energy 18 hours a day on fixing this game. This 4 months internship proved tougher than I thought, but it was finally going to pay.
Our review would assure us a future in this industry, probably a spot in design departments right off the bat.

It lasted a few seconds. Sawyer stormed the office the minute the update was live on steam. He wouldn't get off his bicycle, and looked at us with the most hateful and horrifying gaze.

"A motherfucking turn-based game mode ?"

Apparently that's something that they may or may not be baking in preparation for decline enabling i.e. console release, but something spilled at some point and data leaked which should not have leaked.
We live in the worst timeline.
The one where crpgs feature action-packed real time combat with awesome buttons
while their console versions feature a clear, rebalanced, turn-based combat.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How is the Ultimate going to work when you have to defeat all the major battles, yet you are pressed for time by Eothas' challenge.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I can't believe they would spend the time and energy necessary for redesigning their combat to be turn-based. Could be some serious incline though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pretty sure the combat isn't redesigned, just switched over to turn-based mode. I'm skeptical whether it will actually be playable, given the frequent (for a turn-based game) encounters and slow animations.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Pretty sure the combat isn't redesigned, just switched over to turn-based mode. I'm skeptical whether it will actually be playable, given the frequent (for a turn-based game) encounters and slow animations.
For example, how would it handle movement? Do you get an AP pool that determines how far you can go on a turn?

Efe

Erudite
you can see that in video.. they got a movement bar, an action bar. some abilities dont consume actions.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
For all the (not exactly unfair) talk of decline, I would be frankly impressed if Obsidian pulled a turn-based mode off, if only due to the dedication of the B-team for supporting the game. And I already like the game as it is, minus the shitty story (a new mode that disabled the entire main plot (and Skype calls) in favor of free form faction warfare and exploration would probably improve the game).

I would also assume that a PoE III is in the works -- you don't spend all this time and effort improving an underselling game if you're planning to put the franchise into cryogenic sleep.

2house2fly

Magister
I'd assumed they would leave ship combat untouched; it could use improvements but a couple of options to skip it in different ways is already more than I expected. I remain surprised by how committed they are to post-release feature patches for a game that tanked

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom