Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't know what toasters you are running, but I haven't had any crashes.
It is not about the pc mate,the game just have hard time finding its own data. Most of my crashes were when i hit f9 to reload,then the game couldn't find X file and died. Also decent amount of the bugs are still in the game,still some of them were fixed. In the end the game is dead and shitty.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know what toasters you are running, but I haven't had any crashes.
It is not about the pc mate,the game just have hard time finding its own data. Most of my crashes were when i hit f9 to reload,then the game couldn't find X file and died. Also decent amount of the bugs are still in the game,still some of them were fixed. In the end the game is dead and shitty.
Piracy is wrong.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's insane is that there are other loading screens in the game files. There are Pillars 1-style non-isometric renderings of Tikawara, Poko Kahara, Queen's Berth and the Gullet, maybe others I've forgotten. Plus one new one for each DLC, that you only get in the DLC areas. Why don't they use these loading screens that they already have?!

Can they be modded in?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Those who claim Deadfire's loading times are bad have clearly repressed their memories of
No they haven't.
PoE1 had absolutely insufferable loading times. That doesn't affect the reality of deadfire's loading times, which are indeed super long and get on the player's nerves pretty quickly (especially since there is a lot of back and forth in this game).
I have no memory of how long or short the loading times were in IE games back then, but obviously playing them today - either vanilla, modded or EE versions - represents a much better experience on that aspect alone (on top of a lot of other things) since they're instant.
And thing with deadfire is, I have little hope that the rig can help that in the long run, as in I don't believe our super gaming rigs in 5 years will make these loading times any shorter. So it's there to stay.

As for crashes and game-breaking bugs, I don't have any either. I do still encounter broken scripts, which is annoying.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ok, killed Belranga on first try with my current party.
Not having eder for a tank definitely helps.

No casualties (or knockdowns) other than an antelope pet companion, which actually died to the paralyze + scream combo.

Was thinking of reloading but it just woke up a couple minutes after the battle ended, ranger magic I guess.

20190113210645_1.jpg

20190113212111_1.jpg

20190113212934_1.jpg

EZ

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have little hope that the rig can help that in the long run, as in I don't believe our super gaming rigs in 5 years will make these loading times any shorter. So it's there to stay.
If we get a lot of RAM in 5 years, we can set up RAMDisks and the loading times will probably be almost instant, but that doesn't excuse the atrocious loading times now, nor are RAMdisks a particularly common and widely-known thing.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
Got a new graphics card for my toaster, I can now play Deadfire at 1080p with maxed out graphics and get around 30fps. For a laugh I installed Warframe, a Destinylike co-op shooter with flashy hi-res graphics, which I can also play at 1080p with maxed out graphics and get around 30fps. I don't know if Warframe is optimised insanely well or Deadfire insanely badly, but I know which I'd bet on

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I remember trying Warframe out back in 2013 or something. It ran super smoothly back then, to the point that I was pleasantly surprised as it was some little fps from an obscure studio.
It's a well-optimised game, I think the relative narrowness of the level design helps (although it must have changed since then, the version I played was a beta or something).
On the other hand, deadfire is not well optimised. Summons making the framerate stutter - or freeze - make me lose my hair. I'm not into techs so maybe it's the poor ass opensource engine they used that causes this though. Obsidian programming has never been on point anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if they fucked up a little on top of the engine choice.
So I'd say both, 2house2fly.

Mazisky

Magister
Both Pillars are unoptimized and run like a mess on most powerful rigs. They are good games and they look cool, but costant frame drops are so annoying.

2house2fly

Magister
I recall Sawyer saying there was some argument about loading screens on the team. He wanted to have a bunch of loading screens like this https://i.imgur.com/68evL9a.jpg?1

The idea being that more comic images illustrating game mechanics would be fun and draw people in. If you're glad there aren't a ton of loading screens like that then thank the collaborative development process for overruling the project director

Yosharian

Arcane
Got a new graphics card for my toaster, I can now play Deadfire at 1080p with maxed out graphics and get around 30fps. For a laugh I installed Warframe, a Destinylike co-op shooter with flashy hi-res graphics, which I can also play at 1080p with maxed out graphics and get around 30fps. I don't know if Warframe is optimised insanely well or Deadfire insanely badly, but I know which I'd bet on
I have a reasonably fast i7 and a 1080TI, and I get frame drops down to 45 FPS in Neketaka. I assure you it's Deadfire that's badly optimized.

Sabotin

Scholar
The fancy lighting does take a lot of resources, so does ssao (but for minimal effect), I think it could have been optimised better, too. Specially when you turn lighting on/off and compare, you can notice that sometimes it is very aliased on contrasting edges and even pixely. I'm guessing that's where most of AA work goes and why it can't be turned off normally. Another thing they could do is to cut off some area at the edges of the map. Specially the ship boarding ones, why would you need 100m sea extra around the ships, the number of characters murders my fps good enough already.

By the way, I'm not sure how these things actually work, but how come after loading into a new area the games is max fps and low gpu usage for like 10s and only after that it maxes gpu and drops to "normal" fps? Does it render some stuff while loading or is there something in the background that turn on only after a while?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the most effective narrative optimizations is to ditch companions entirely. But Xoti is one of the worst.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The only technical issue in my game is what I think is a memory leak (?). After playing for 3-4 hours I get low FPS, fixed on restart.

Besides that I've had maybe one crash.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I've kept the game running for 5-6 hours at a time, alt-tabbing to do other stuff and going back in. No problems or slowdowns.

i7 4790k / GTX 780 / 8GB DDR4 Edit: oh yeah, on SSD.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ i7 / GTX 980 /16 gigs DDR4 (and SSD obviously). So I think it's just some software related thingymagick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom