Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Woedica: Psst. Hey watcher. I don't care about Thaos, guy was getting useless anyway. Divert all those souls to me to make me stronger.
Lacrymas: What did she mean by this?
Except it's not clear in DF whether she is or isn't stronger. She might've imagined she'd become stronger, but it actually didn't work and the only effect was her crown on one statue near the actual machine being repaired.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Kyl Von Kull I'm sorry I expect, you know, narrative consequences attached to my plot points. As it stands now, there are none and the logical conclusion would be that it's not clear whether she is or isn't stronger.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A random thought - while reading on James Watson and his statements throughout the years, I find he sounds more like the first animancers than anything else. :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kyl Von Kull I'm sorry I expect, you know, narrative consequences attached to my plot points. As it stands now, there are none and the logical conclusion would be that it's not clear whether she is or isn't stronger.
You're asking to be spoonfed.
At your direction, the essence gathered in Sun in Shadow was sent across Dyrwood to meld with and galvanize the souls of its people. In the days that followed, Dyrwoodans confronting adversity and expecting to be at the mercy of their own weakness instead found strength and the will to persevere. The aggrieved found themselves able to carry on after their losses. The desperate found new reasons to live.

If regular people can be enhanced with soul power, a reasonable conclusion is that a god can be as well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker , I think we're coming from different places when we talk about difficulty. Can't comment on the megabosses, because I haven't fought any one of them yet.

You said PotD is too easy for most of the game. I am again repeating my point - it may have been too easy for you, but I had set up my play in such a way that it was relatively hard most of the game. Maybe I was going to areas too early, maybe my party composition or tactics were worse than yours, never mind the reason, but my perception is that PotD was difficult.

Now we come to another measurement - was it the "fun kind of difficult" or the tedious grindy kind. I felt it was more the latter than the former. And I believe it felt this way for me because of the too many enemies which don't require new tactical approaches from me in order to defeat them.

Meh: like I said, I took on Giant Cave Grub when it was 3x red skull and for me, that was one of the game's most memorable and fun fights. So even if my complete playthrough (as in, I finished almost 100% of the content) somehow left me completing level 10 through 20 without ever being underleveled (which I was at more than one occation, but for the sake of argumention) I still think the game was at it strongest in the very difficult, underleveled early game.

I think the reason for our discrepancy is that if you do have a bad composition you really, really feel the narrow Accuracy/Defenses window and I tried meeting you half-way by saying that I also do think this is overemphasized in Deadfire compared to the original where difficulty is more often a result of placement and number of enemies. That's why I don't understand your dislike of the FS fights specifically, because those enemies are actually fairly easy to hit (though penetration can still be awkward) and are primarily problematic because there are many enemies with very strong abilities placed in very detrimental positions that make it hard to gain the upper hand at the beginning of the fight.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried meeting you half-way by saying that I also do think this is overemphasized in Deadfire compared to the original where difficulty is more often a result of placement and number of enemies
Ok, it never occured to me you were doing this :D
That's why I don't understand your dislike of the FS fights specifically
I never said I disliked FS fights specifically. I said I dislike PotD (in Deadfire as a whole), because it swarms me with enemies instead of making enemies smarter, and as a result I solve PotD-level combat with the same toolset with which I would solve Hard-level combat.

Regarding their abilities - what left an impression on me was how whenever a fight had to be extra tough, monk-class enemies would step in :)

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Why merge a useless thread, where lacrymas had a meltdown apparently, into this one?

Anyway killed the big ooze megaboss, felt like cleaning a big piece of turd.

It isn't necessarilyhard, in fact much easier than belranga in the sense that your characters aren't really in any danger. Only thing that's in danger might be your sanity though, the fight is mostly a test of patience.

I had the luxury of figuring out what to do and destroying the ooze in the same fight, but only because i had chanters in my party.
Assuming you are going in blind and don't know what to, a party with finite resources basically has no chance.

20190116161116_1.jpg

20190116151206_1.jpg

20190116173005_1.jpg

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
Except it's not clear in DF whether she is or isn't stronger. She might've imagined she'd become stronger, but it actually didn't work and the only effect was her crown on one statue near the actual machine being repaired.
Sure, but Deadfire's failure to give meaningful consequences to Woedica being empowered doesn't mean Pillars Of Eternity didn't intend for you to understand that Woedica had been empowered. Deadfire itself is chock full of stuff like absorbing godlikes as a power boost, Eothas eating souls to restore energy, Galawain using Kazuwari as a larder, etc. And of course, since the gods are man-made, any means by which they could be empowered is itself man-made.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just finished the winter beast....and it was kind of meh....too much teleports and other time wasting animations,the bridge was the worst. I just beat the shit out of the "god" and it was pretty easy. Also does anyone knows what to with all the souls i carry and the phylactery? The dragon didn't come out after i leaved so.... Also does anyone know what is the trigger for the water guild tremors?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game is in a shameful state compared to kingmaker,everything after the ashen maw is fucked up triggers. Many quest bugs that were reported are still in the game. The DLCs clearly show how the game was cut,with them feels like a full game,even affecting the endings.

Vityaz

Augur
The game is in a shameful state compared to kingmaker,everything after the ashen maw is fucked up triggers. Many quest bugs that were reported are still in the game. The DLCs clearly show how the game was cut,with them feels like a full game,even affecting the endings.

Mate, your game must be cursed or some shit because so far I've encountered only 1-2 crashes and 1 non functioning quest trigger at most (2nd playthrough now). Compared to Glitchmaker (or at least the last time I played it), it runs like a dream for me. :|

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I feel like you are all missing the key problem with the gods: they are retarded.

The concept could be interesting but the god-awful writing of them ruins any investment one could have into their nature and their relationship with the "mortal" world. It is literally like a 14yo trying to act like a god in a PnP game, although a 14yo with a passing interest in philosophy(IE having watched the matrix twice) could probably have done a better job.

In some ways I feel like there are a lot of similarities between Deadfire and The last Jedi; they both seem engineered to destroy any interest in the underlying concepts and themes of the setting while at the same time providing a fairly interesting visual experience. They just move random shit around in random ways and makes the central cast look incompetent and the plot meaningless.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Mate, your game must be cursed or some shit because so far I've encountered only 1-2 crashes and 1 non functioning quest trigger at most (2nd playthrough now). Compared to Glitchmaker (or at least the last time I played it), it runs like a dream for me. :|

The strange part for me is that Deadfire only started performing badly after it had been patched for 6+ months.

In my original playthrough I had zero crashes, decent load times and encountered no bugs.

In my replay before Christmas I had 5+ crashes, numerous missing strings, significantlyworse load times (more than a 100% increase since release) and more frequent graphical slowdowns. Launching the game also take a lot longer for some reason.

All this with a 1080ti, i7 processor, PCI-SSDs and DDR4 memory...

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Not if they reflect the retardation of their authors.

I feel like you are all missing the key problem with the gods: they are retarded.
It's a really difficult problem to miss.

It is easy to miss when focusing on the object level issues with the writing. Not being able to see the forest for all the trees.

Trying to pinpoint where the writing of Deadfire went wrong is a fools mission since it practically went wrong everywhere at once (except some of the faction stuff).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Gods are best written as inscrutable and elusive. The more you see of them, the harder it is to maintain their appearance of boundless knowledge and wisdom. Of course, the gods might be flawed and limited in-universe, but then it still stands to reason that they'd want to present an image of boundless knowledge and wisdom.

The way the gods were written in Deadfire reminds me of the Archons in Tyranny. They seem ridiculously petty and childish for characters we're supposed to take seriously.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Not all the gods are equally retarded. Ryrmgand's quiet nihilism is considerably more entertaining – and strikes a more felicitous stylistic tone – than, say, Woedica's cartoonish evil. To be fair, the voice acting helps.

2house2fly

Magister
Gods are best written as inscrutable and elusive. The more you see of them, the harder it is to maintain their appearance of boundless knowledge and wisdom. Of course, the gods might be flawed and limited in-universe, but then it still stands to reason that they'd want to present an image of boundless knowledge and wisdom.

The way the gods were written in Deadfire reminds me of the Archons in Tyranny. They seem ridiculously petty and childish for characters we're supposed to take seriously.
We're supposed to take them seriously? How do you mean?

Butter

Arcane
Patron

We're supposed to take them seriously? How do you mean?
Was Deadfire supposed to be a comedy game? Did I misjudge it so?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It is not about cursed,a few quest for me got broken trigger like not triggering at all. All of them were in the end game and faction quests like help crooksomething or the water guild dragon...and a few others. Also i didn't get the dialogue option to finish a few quests because the game assumed that because i had done ashen maw they are already finished.

As i said the Kingmaker is better than Deadfire mechanically wise. On my replay of it,i didn't get any crashes or broken quests. While rus fixed they game,obsidian decided to ignore broken quests that were filed and even devs lied that they would look in it. Lazy americans!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom