Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
they would be rolling in dough right now completely independent.
That's not the outcome you get when you specifically want your company to be bought over.
From MCA's insight, that's a most likely scenario for Obsidian's upper management.

jf8350143

Liturgist
All right, I'll do what I say before, I'll pre-order the next three Obisidian game with season pass, even it's a multi-player only game where I have to play as Todd Howard playing fallout 76.

entr0py

Scholar
Hahaha, shit, I just finished my second 100% PotD playthrough, was waiting for the DLCs after I finished base game to start it. I have already spent 320 hours with the game according to Steam (DoS 2 was 206 hours with one almost-finished playthrough, but got really bored with it by the end). Now will need to try it with TB mode too, pure incline, just have to recuperate from my gaming fatigue and come back to it in a few months when they patched it up correctly. Maaaan, Obsidian really pulled off the unthinkable, salute to them, keep it coming, the game has everything to become a real classic after all these patches and DLCs, shame the the writing/story and companions are pretty bad. Altogether solid 9/10, fix that writing in the next game and we are golden!

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Han-Solo-Its-True-All-Of-It.jpg

Cross

Arcane
Microsoft really want their own Divinity Original Sin, don't they.
You can replace Microsoft with Feargus. This has been in the works long before the Microsoft acquisition happened.

They just wanted to send their ultimate fuck you to rpgcodex.

:positive:
It has nothing to do with the Codex. Even casuals routinely complain that Pillars/Deadfire combat is an incomprehensible clusterfuck with excessive micromanagement. In that video Sawyer even cites those complaints and says they're the reason why they're adding this turn-based mode.

It's utterly hilarious that Obsidian initially choose RTwP over turn-based because they thought the latter would be too complicated to appeal to a wide audience, only to add a turn-based mode now to cater to players overwhelmed with their RtwP combat. :lol:

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Microsoft really want their own Divinity Original Sin, don't they.
You can replace Microsoft with Feargus. This has been in the works long before the Microsoft acquisition happened.

They just wanted to send their ultimate fuck you to rpgcodex.

:positive:
It has nothing to do with the Codex. Even casuals routinely complain that Pillars/Deadfire combat is an incomprehensible clusterfuck with excessive micromanagement. Sawyer even says in that video that this is one of the reasons why they're adding a turn-based mode.

It's utterly hilarious that Obsidian intitially choose RTwP over turn-based because they thought the latter would be too complicated to appeal to a wide audience, only to add a turn-based mode now to cater to players overwhelmed with their RtwP combat. :lol:
I do agree with you. Still i don't get it why people pretend that TB is in some way more complex and tactical compared to RTwP. It is really strange since RTwP does require a lot faster thinking and reaction compared to TB,also it is more complex. Just looking at that spell use in TB makes me think that the game will be a lot easier in TB. In RTwP you have to think in perspective while placing the spell,in the video they just placed it and it hit. They didn't had to think much about trajectory,casting time,enemy movement,AoE etc etc.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
If turn-based is going into beta, that means they're not done supporting the game anytime soon.

There's a good chance those three hidden DLC we found will soon become a reality.

2house2fly

Magister
It's utterly hilarious that Obsidian intitially choose RTwP over turn-based because they thought the latter would be too complicated to appeal to a wide audience, only to add a turn-based mode now to cater to players overwhelmed with their RtwP combat. :lol:
They chose Real Time With Pause because the Infinity Engine games they were making a spiritual successor to were Real Time With Pause.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Three DLC names were spotted in the game files.

LAXI
LAXH
LAX04

Letters are what Obsidian uses to classify free DLC. Numbers are what they use to classify paid DLC. So we're possibly looking at another two free DLC and one paid expansion.

Cross

Arcane
They chose Real Time With Pause because the Infinity Engine games they were making a spiritual successor to were Real Time With Pause.
Oh yeah, you can really tell Obsidian was truly invested in preserving the legacy of the Infinity Engine games when they ditched Vancian magic and added a bunch of mechanics that were the complete antithesis of the Infinity Engine games. :lol:

Obsidian chose RTwP because Baldur's Gate was hugely succesful back in the day and Obsidian foolishly believed this was solely due to it being RTwP rather than a bunch of different factors.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It will sell 10 more copies to codexian oldfags.

Also i can't imagine deadfire being a good TB games,the system is not compatible.
Hard to tell. I am more concerned over how the UI will shape up, because that seems harder to fix compared to number tweaks.

Also, if I read the article correctly, TB mode arrives January 24th. I had hoped Obsidian would do a round of public testing to get a head start out any bugs or balancing issues.
Well i just finished replaying the game with all the DLCs and must say that it is in worst state than Kingmaker at this point,bug wise that is. While the Rus hammered out the game and its bugs in the months after release,Deadfire still have a big part of its release bugs. I do know that i will get a decent amount of negative ratings from the game's retarded fans,but that is the reality. If people don't believe me,they are free to download and install both games.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I look forward to seeing a certain contingent of the Dexian population embrace Deadfire over Pathfinder: Kingmaker due to this one weird old trick.
I thought the same as you, but I think what's more likely is the paradoxical situation, where the self-proclaimed hardcore cRPG grognard muthas end up shitting on the TB Deadfire and preferring the RtwP Kingmaker. What a time to be alive! :lol:

I'm a bit butthurt that they started to neglect their Fig backers. These news should have arrived as a Fig update, but nowadays they completely forget to update us, and go to the mainstream media instead.
If you had written "investors", then I would have been worried. :D

2house2fly

Magister
Oh yeah, you can really tell Obsidian was truly invested in preserving the legacy of the Infinity Engine games when they ditched Vancian magic and added a bunch of mechanics that were the complete antithesis of the Infinity Engine games. :lol:

Obsidian chose RTwP because Baldur's Gate was hugely succesful back in the day and Obsidian foolishly believed this was solely due to it being RTwP rather than a bunch of different factors.
Feel free to link to where they said this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom