Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grab the Codex by the pussy
All of your companions being bisexual does not make them not minorities. This is a shit argument as to why it's bad writing to have everyone around you being bisexual and wanting to jump on your dick. In fact your inane retarded politics is muddying the waters against real issues.
Of course it does. What are the odds that every single of your companions, each one with a different background, is bisexual? This is bad writing. Your line of reasoning is that these complaints are not necessary because there are so many obvious problems that are independent of this subject, but then again it is even more obvious that no piece of fiction that contains this kind of nonsense is ever worthwhile.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Or how about having it be an inbuild option in the gameplay menu?
This is the worst option possible.
gays and bisexuals should be represented as minorities because they are minorities in the real world and because the target audience is mostly heterosexual.

Eora, and in particularly your experience of it as a pirate, are not representative of the target audience. It's like that thing with accents, just because on Earth British accent=posh, doesn't mean the same should apply in PoE.

Earth would have a different view on sexuality if there were a bunch of ???s running around in the form of Godlikes, magic was commonplace, your soul is veritably reincarnated in a different race/gender each cycle etc.

Not really sure that Godlikes are a good example here, regardless of what is said in game, they are very clearly gendered so why they would be considered intersex is beyond me (except in the case of inheritance laws etc.). They seem much more like enuchs or monks, IE outside the reproductive market but still obviously of a particular gender.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

[ ] Homosexuality ("Check this box if you would like your companions to be homosexual.")

This is the worst option possible. Mature people's personalities and character aren't shaped entirely by their sexuality, but it does play some role in a well-rounded individual, even if only in the realization you are unusual. And that only in countries where it's not a big deal (the West), it will affect you more profoundly in cultures where it's looked down on. It also has the potential to either strengthen you by you finding the will and acceptance within yourself to defy peer pressure or it can lead to deep psychological damage. If you aren't stoned or hanged that is. Turning this into a switch/option negates dramatic potential and character growth and turns it into a joke and pandering. It also shows how spineless the writers/developers are and how they don't have the balls to commit to their ideology/vision/design/whatever. Making everyone bisexual does this as well, btw, unless there is some outstanding justification.

I was obviously kidding, jesus.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
All of your companions being bisexual does not make them not minorities. This is a shit argument as to why it's bad writing to have everyone around you being bisexual and wanting to jump on your dick. In fact your inane retarded politics is muddying the waters against real issues.
Of course it does. What are the odds that every single of your companions, each one with a different background, are all bisexuals? This is bad writing. Your line of reasoning is that these complaints are necessary because there are so many obvious problems that are independent of this subject, but then again it is even more obvious that no piece of fiction that contains this kind of nonsense is ever worthwhile.

Your entire entourage can be black homosexuals, that doesn't necessarily make them not minorities. The odds being unlikely does not mean it cannot happen.

The problem is writers in Obsidian are factory-produced california stereotypes. They think bubbly, horny bisexuals are the coolest, which lead to this one-dimensional approach amongst them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Folks don't be dishonest, you don't care about the companions being "bisexual", you care about male companions wanting to fuck your male PC

You only know they're bisexual because you read about it on the Internet, the bisexuality as such is a non-issue. These are for all intents and purposes gay romance options.

I have more respect for people who own up to being squicked out by teh homos then to all this fake pretension about "bad writing".

The real bad writing is the concept of RPG romances in general, gay or straight. I mean I guess the gay romances are a bit worse simply because most players can't imagine themselves engaging in them in real life under any circumstance, but that seems like a difference of degree rather than kind.

Anyway, PoE1 had hundreds of pages long threads on the Obsidian forums whining about romances, so this is what you get.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with Lurker King is that he let his (basic) ideology and tumblr politicking color his perception of the facts and he sees agendas and enemies everywhere. It doesn't have anything to do with real life minorities or chances, or bigotry (I believe him when he says he doesn't have a problem with gays, but maybe I'm naive), or whatever the next argument de jour will be.

Eora, and in particularly your experience of it as a pirate, are not representative of the target audience. It's like that thing with accents, just because on Earth British accent=posh, doesn't mean the same should apply in PoE.
I don’t buy this “in fiction anything goes” mindset. You need to provide a good reason why things became so different from the real world. No matter how many fictional elements you add into it, human nature and people’s predispositions are important if you want to make characters believable. Sexual orientation is governed by biology. You can’t just mould people’s behaviour out of this. Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense that fiction is so prone to activism because people feel entitled to use this anything goes mindset to present a different world where the prejudices they want to fight are abolished.

The problem with Lurker King is that he let his (basic) ideology and tumblr politicking color his perception of the facts and he sees agendas and enemies everywhere. It doesn't have anything to do with real life minorities or chances, or bigotry, or whatever would be the next argument de jour.
No, Lacrymas, it’s your bisexual behaviour that doesn’t have anything to do with real life. You are so used to make jokes about boypussy that you don’t realize how bizarre this sounds to 99% of mankind. Since you are a bisexual you are naturally desensitized to this topic and then you can’t understand why people are complaining about bisexual characters all of sudden. You are projecting your lack of imagination in players that are not used to this. Why would they? This is so obvious that I find curious that I have to explain this to you. This is an inversion of values and expectations.

edit: fobia made a rolleyes rating. LOL

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
I bet you played the Witcher 3. Or any wester game with romance, really

Nigga, I don't even like romances in RPGs. But I would give a pass to Witcher games since they're adapted from a series of novels and you're taking control of Geralt himself, plus the romances he embarks on have something to do with the story itself as opposed to putting it in to appease lonely boys and fat girls.
But the Witcher series has the "worst" pandering of them all. There are literally sex cards in Witcher 1. Does it trigger you?

"What's so absurd about fucking a fishman?"

? He's not a fishman. He's a godlike. Pretty uncommon, but not weird in a world of elves, goblins and dragons. A lot of party members in your party are not human, including possibly the very MC. Stop getting your information from /v/ and actually play these games, which I can see you are clearly not doing. Oh, wait, it doesn't matter because you are just MAD.

I have an unblemished record of never putting any sort of phallic object up my rectum. Your move, Mercury.

And yet your are extremely butthurt.

Because women are hot as fuk.
But you said "faggotry" triggers you. Which one is it? You seem confused about what you want.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Folks don't be dishonest, you don't care about the companions being "bisexual", you care about male companions wanting to fuck your male PC

You only know they're bisexual because you read about it on the Internet, the bisexuality as such is a non-issue. These are for all intents and purposes gay romance options.

I have more respect for people who own up to being squicked out by teh homos then to all this fake pretension about "bad writing".

The real bad writing is the concept of RPG romances in general, gay or straight. I mean I guess the gay romances are a bit worse simply because most players can't imagine themselves engaging in them in real life under any circumstances, but that seems like a difference of degree rather than kind.

Anyway, PoE1 had hundreds of pages long threads on the Obsidian forums whining about romances, so this is what you get.

Not true, I care about the bad writing of these West Coast Americans. No issues whatsoever about male companions hitting on my male PC.

Also people thinking sexuality exists in a vacuum are stupid too. If people exist then sexuality is always there, even with lack of it. Outright ignoring it is agreeable if one thinks it's hard to tackle, but claiming it's better to not have it is false. These Victorian morals of "keep sex in bedroom" as a golden standard is a farce.

Parabalus

Arcane
This is the worst option possible.
gays and bisexuals should be represented as minorities because they are minorities in the real world and because the target audience is mostly heterosexual.

Earth would have a different view on sexuality if there were a bunch of ???s running around in the form of Godlikes, magic was commonplace, your soul is veritably reincarnated in a different race/gender each cycle etc.

Not really sure that Godlikes are a good example here, regardless of what is said in game, they are very clearly gendered so why they would be considered intersex is beyond me (except in the case of inheritance laws etc.). They seem much more like enuchs or monks, IE outside the reproductive market but still obviously of a particular gender.

People being born outside the reproductive market, not only by a flaw/sickness like in RL, but willfully by the grace of the gods, should mean a lot for establishing different norms. Religious sway is huge, like with us.

Who knows what's going on "biologically", if Teheku has tentacles on his head or Pallegina (allegedly) has a cloaca?
The fact that it's such a wild west would make people just more curious.

I don’t buy this “in fiction anything goes” mindset. You need to provide a good reason why things became so different from the real world. No matter how many fictional elements you add into it, human nature and people’s predispositions are important if you want to make characters believable. Sexual orientation is governed by biology. You can’t just mould people’s behaviour out of this. Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense that fiction is so prone to activism because people feel entitled to use this anything goes mindset to present a different world where the prejudices they want to fight are abolished.

Not sure if you played Deadfire, but Obsidian justifies (provides a reason for) the bisexuality of all NPCs to the point where the SJWs could attack it, as they don't consider it requiring explanation (moreover, explaining it is actively phobic for them). All 5 NPCs have reason for why they are what they are, the only concern could be frequency.

Just to be clear, I'm not a big fan of romance in games since they are mostly cringey (Deadfire's are), but orientation is the wrong angle of approach, especially in this particular case, because of the above.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I'm pretty sure companion dialogues are bugged.
At several occasions I heard them start saying something right after I confirmed to leave a map, jumping into the loading screen.
After loading the destination map, they usually have the talk icon, but it doesn't trigger anything but the regular dialogue options.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A real issue perhaps is that having bisexual romances in a 50% male/50% female roster of companions mathematically means that there are more companions available for romancing, which contributes to an unwanted "anime harem" atmosphere. It's a simple matter of numbers - you get twice as many people flirting with you. It doesn't even really matter what their sexual orientation is.

Possible solution - have an option to select a limited number N of companions who will be interested in you?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, Lurker King said it explicitly - people/he are/is uncomfortable with LGBT people and they sound bizarre, even if they are only making a joke.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All the shit river I'm reading through only serves to remind me of one truth: playing/participating in an RPG is a subjective experience, even when it's practiced together with other people, like in PnP. I shouldn't and don't want to know more than necesseary about your character's mannerisms, beliefs, thoughts or whatever. That's why stuff like romances and VO take a game away from being an RPG, because they infringe on matter that should be left to the player's imagination to populate it with whatever he wants, or leave it unpopulated.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Sorry, anime harem is bad writing by definition, even if most character were heterosexuals, most characters being bisexuals so there is no chance for someone not making their personal anime harem is even more bad writing over bad writing.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

The real bad writing is the concept of RPG romances in general, gay or straight. I mean I guess the gay romances are a bit worse simply because most players can't imagine themselves engaging in them in real life under any circumstance, but that seems like a difference of degree rather than kind.

Bro, I am bi-sexual...

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sexual orientation is governed by biology.

Except it isn't governed only by it and this is well known. It's observed that environment also affects the development of whatever sexuality.

Also, I've made only 1 joke about boypussy.

Plz, I don’t know how they do things in Bulgaria but in the west we call it a Shame Hole.

Molina

Savant

Thank you. Damn, in my other forum they debate that "Combat in PoE is better than BG2 combat" and here, you debate about the potential sexuality of fiction characters.

Seriously, RPG gamers are the cancer of RPG game industry.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Thank you. Damn, in my other forum they debate that "Combat in PoE is better than BG2 combat" and here, you debate about the potential sexuality of fiction characters.

Seriously, RPG gamers are the cancer of RPG game industry.

Which other forum is that?

Nah, Lurker King said it explicitly - people/he are/is uncomfortable with LGBT people and they sound bizarre
Don try to twist my words. I said people in general, not me. I'm obviously used to this kind of thing, otherwhise I would not read the Codex. The difference between you and me is that I can put myself in other people's shoes. You can't.

even if they are only making a joke.
That's when you insult my intelligence pretending that nothing is happening because you want a bisexual romance in a BG clone.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Anime harems are an alpha male's right. The whole point of gaining power and challenging the gods is for getting pounds and pounds of fresh and eager pussy at home. Why else would one go on a power trip?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom