Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Inb4 we find out they've cut already-made content to not pay more for VO. Inb4 we find out they've cut a bunch of places so they can sell them as DLC. Inb4 we find out half the budget has gone to VO. Inb4 it flops terribly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Damn, I have no idea where Xoti is, because I just hired Tekehu and I realized that everybody already got her. Fuck!

Uhhh it is in first city you come by,next to the tents just right of the governor talking with the stormlord woman. She is the first companion that you can take. It is on the island that you get stranded after the prologue.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Inb4 we find out they've cut already-made content to not pay more for VO. Inb4 we find out they've cut a bunch of places so they can sell them as DLC. Inb4 we find out half the budget has gone to VO. Inb4 it flops terribly.
VO really degrades the game a lot,huge waste of resources and even is not that good,it is a detriment to the game. And that is coming from a guy that doesn't care about VA,and just ignores it. I even am ok with Oblivion level of VA.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is no more than 30 hours gameplay for 100%
So it's a perfect length for any sane man playing it. I don't know about you, but I don't have 100 hours for a game in this day and age. I don't want it to be short, but 25-30 hours is perfect. Shadowrun also followed this rule and it was great to be able to finish it in that time. It also helps the game to not outstay its welcome.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
WTWlsJq.png

Someone explain this fucking math to me please. No matter what I do with those numbers, it doesn't add up.

There is a perk which transforms hits into grazes. I assume your hit was affected by that.

You base/roll damage is 11.5 * 0.5 = 5.75 and then I guess you get a bonus damage of 18% from your Might. 5.75 * 1.18 = 6.785

However something it's fucked up because 6.785 > 6.3 which means that there is another factor in the equation.

My interpretation is that the game is trying to tell you that you are not hardcore enough to understand numbers.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is no more than 30 hours gameplay for 100%
So it's a perfect length for any sane man playing it. I don't know about you, but I don't have 100 hours for a game in this day and age. I don't want it to be short, but 25-30 hours is perfect. Shadowrun also followed this rule and it was great to be able to finish it in that time. It also helps the game to not outstay its welcome.
Are you going to take this guy seriously on this? I'm nearly 15 hours in and have done two real quests and three tasks.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
What will they do when they want to add new content? Will they pay for full VO for those too? PoE1 had some quests added to the base game and WM itself was an overall improvement, could they have done it with full VO?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, not only is the game surprisingly short, it still feels unfinished and rushed?
Yes,in that aspect it feels worst than the first one. I take it that all the money did go to pointless VO and shanties that you hear only 30 seconds of. The game is no more than 30 hours gameplay for 100% if you take out all the shitty loading and the pointless running around. You could even go down to 20 hours if you know what you are doing. If you go only for the main quest,you can do it in say 5-6 hours.

You are kidding, right? I have 30 hours and I am still exploring Neketaka.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Are loading times still so abominably long as in PoE 1?
For me they are,it is the same as the first game. The more you play the longer they become. In the last part i spend more time watching the loading scree than reading dialogue.
Haven't they promised to optimize this better in 2 or something for fucks sake?
For me, endless loading screens are the main reason why I probably never replay 1 again.

2house2fly

Magister
So, not only is the game surprisingly short, it still feels unfinished and rushed?
From what people were saying earlier in the thread there are less quests but they're more involved. Possibly Obsidian went with depth over breadth as Fenstermaker suggested in his interview a couple of years ago

Parabalus

Arcane
This game length talk is retarded, you can also do BG1&2 in a few hours, the first result for a naive "Bg speedrun" gives me 17 minutes. That isn't relevant for normal play.

To give some numbers, a quick count from the wikis says SoA has about 57 quests, Deadfire around 81. I'm quite confident Deadfire has more questless content with the islands (What isn't a quest in Bg2?Twisted Rune?), and the quests are generally longer and more involved.

It's a YUGE game guys.

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I dont get you fantadomat. You complain about the naval combat but want to hear more sea chants. You complain about how rushed the game is, but you already finished the game, skipping a lot of content.

Seems to me you dont even know how to play games, man. The problem is you, not the game.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Yes,in that aspect it feels worst than the first one. I take it that all the money did go to pointless VO and shanties that you hear only 30 seconds of. The game is no more than 30 hours gameplay for 100% if you take out all the shitty loading and the pointless running around. You could even go down to 20 hours if you know what you are doing. If you go only for the main quest,you can do it in say 5-6 hours.

You are kidding, right? I have 30 hours and I am still exploring Neketaka.

I know right? I mean I'm not that enamoured with the game, but the length doesn't seem to be a issue, I've been playing for a while and there's plenty of content, fluff all over the place. It may not be the best quality content but it's still better than anything I got from PoE 1.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
At least 3 people said they've done everything they've found in 35ish hours and completed the game. Is it possible they missed a lot?

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, we will see. I'm less worried about total quantity of content, which has never seemed to me that important, as I am about pacing. POE1 made some well known mistakes with XP / challenge pacing (as well as the amount of attention they could pay to quality throughout, primarily due to stretch goals), so I'm waiting to discover how they have done on that front.

Also, number of hours has never meant anything. Some people take 200 hours on a game that takes somebody else 40, there are way too many confounders that all we need to know is "holy shit what the fuck short", "reasonable", "holy shit the game never ends".

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
things missing that were promised:

fulvano's voyage
balance
sea shanties
non-biowarian companions

JOSH SAWYER WILL NEVER WORK IN THIS TOWN AGAIN

Pizzashoes the box is checked, not that it actually does anything since sea shanties aren't in the game

Parabalus

Arcane
things missing that were promised:

fulvano's voyage
balance
sea shanties
non-biowarian companions

JOSH SAWYER WILL NEVER WORK IN THIS TOWN AGAIN

Pizzashoes the box is checked, not that it actually does anything since sea shanties aren't in the game

The shanties reliable trigger for me a few seconds after clicking auto-travel, did you try that?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
What do you mean retadred? That would be hilarious.

it's retarded because every time I have mentioned that sea shanties don't play for me I specifically note that yes the box is checked and people can't read and think they are OH SO CLEVER and "hurr durr do yew have da box ChEcKED???? LMAO MUH ORIgINAL BANTZ RITE??!" fuck off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom