Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm 30 hours in and am level 9 too. With the reduced xp mod. Poko Kohara is pretty brutal on PotD and it's very high level, much higher than it was in the beta, all of the mobs there are 3 red skulls at lvl 9.

2house2fly

Magister
I don't remember,but do the companions use water and food provisions while sailing?
No, and I think it's a real missed opportunity that they didn't incorporate them into ship management. It'd give the party members you're not currently using a bit more presence in the game if they could appear in the little shipboard CYOA sequences

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Using story companions and not powergaming, PoTD with upscaling feels brutal until about levels 12-15 when it starts getting progressively easier. After that I only die if I'm unprepared for the encounter. The problem is that level scaling isn't enough late game. They need to have clearly defined late game areas with custom tailored encounters. I'm just hoping the DLC will add in some high level challenges.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't remember,but do the companions use water and food provisions while sailing?
No, and I think it's a real missed opportunity that they didn't incorporate them into ship management. It'd give the party members you're not currently using a bit more presence in the game if they could appear in the little shipboard CYOA sequences
LoL the companions are amazing now that i think about it. They spend a year with only 10-20 portions of some random food i saw. Obsidian is truly progressive,the power of breatharianism!

pr_na.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And another thing, nobody in the game ever takes a shit
huanas are probably too barbaric and backwater to have toilets and most likely shit in buckets. They also need all those shit so roparus can eat lol

Rauatais probably use shit as cannon fillings

Principi are pirates that dont care about all that shit literally.

Vailian republics are probably few countries that spend resources on proper plumbing and waste mamagement.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
LoL the companions are amazing now that i think about it. They spend a year with only 10-20 portions of some random food i saw. Obsidian is truly progressive,the power of breatharianism!

pr_na.jpg
The true reason game is weak: Gnostics have infiltrated Obsidian.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was killed by a Risen Armsman through a wall, who then dropped aggro and the unconscious party member got back up. Anyway, I managed to get through that encounter with the Risen Champion that didn't want to die, I crafted some extra consumables to use to buff Accuracy and stuff. It's pretty annoying fighting these guys at such a low level, though, so I defeated one more pack, got my Skaen robe and went off to do something else. What I did notice, however, is the amount of concentration and thinking I had to put in to defeat that one encounter at the start, and using consumables to their best effect. I didn't have to do anything like this in PoE1, maybe I just haven't fought such overleveled mobs there, but either way that's what I noticed. Some AI and number tweaks can go a long way to make the combat system surprisingly good when you aren't fighting the defense bloat of overleveled mobs. PEN is still an awful mechanic.

The encounters in PoE1 and now here try to overwhelm you with huge numbers of enemies, yet only very few of them are dangerous on their own. The only really dangerous mobs I've come across are those with Rogue abilities, Wizards seem scary at first, but when you realize that most of their damaging spells target Reflex, yet all your guys have upwards of 100 Reflex defense, it kinda takes the bite out of them. Only Writhing Tentacles are hard-hitters if you don't do anything, but are quickly hardcountered by Suppress Affliction. The missing sixth party member is really noticeable, I haven't decided if that's good or not yet. The combat speed is good, I haven't felt the need to slow it down even more. So, yeah, I'm hopeful for the first time in ages that with tweaks and number crunching this combat system might turn out to be great and different enough from the IE games to be something distinct.

What I want to see is more interesting passives and unique passives for sub-classes, I'm really missing my Skaen Sneak Attack and I'm kinda regretting not going Priest/Rogue, instead of Priest/Fighter, but I'll see what it feels like when I get Shadowing Beyond and Finishing Blow. Oh, and I think choosing very few of your spells each level is dumb because you'll always pick the ones that you get the most use out of and niche spells that might help out in very few situations are ignored. I don't understand the reasoning behind this decision, you are already very limited by the amount of times you can cast spells per encounter, sooo.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah they could have just stuck to memory slots for classic casters, give all spells and some slots that you get back anyway after fight and that's it. But that would mean classic casters would have ten time more choice than everyone else and that's too traditional for them because but muh fighters.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently I bought this drunk two weeks ago and it got delivered today
Which genius decided to call a lorebook "guidebook" btw? Made it sound like those useless trashbin tier physical prima guides.

8vnC0wC.jpg

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Which genius decided to call a lorebook "guidebook" btw? Made it sound like those useless trashbin tier physical prima guides.

8vnC0wC.jpg
My only experience with such books is the "World of Witcher" book by Dark Horse, that came out with Witcher 3. That one was very good btw, but why did they keep calling PoE's books "guidebooks" I don't know. It was the same with volume 1.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

8vnC0wC.jpg
The things people complain about, Jesus. Guidebook is just as fitting as lorebook, becaues it is a guide to the history and nations of Deadfire Archipelago. It looks great, but if you don't like it, I'll gladly take it off of your hand.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
After long pause i repurchased deadfire again (this time on gog) and o boy lacrymas was right writing exploration combat companions ship combat evrything is uter BS.Im replaying first pillars again fuck this shit.Every penny goes to nekatatka side areas are degenerate pick food/drink degenerate bs most of the time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

8vnC0wC.jpg
Looking at it,well at least you will be able to use it a self defence weapon. Thick cover,sharp angles,could kill a man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom