Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, May 8, 2018.

1. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    No although they can aggro through walls. It's just that LOS is very bad in this game.

^ Top  
  2. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I was killed by a Risen Armsman through a wall, who then dropped aggro and the unconscious party member got back up. Anyway, I managed to get through that encounter with the Risen Champion that didn't want to die, I crafted some extra consumables to use to buff Accuracy and stuff. It's pretty annoying fighting these guys at such a low level, though, so I defeated one more pack, got my Skaen robe and went off to do something else. What I did notice, however, is the amount of concentration and thinking I had to put in to defeat that one encounter at the start, and using consumables to their best effect. I didn't have to do anything like this in PoE1, maybe I just haven't fought such overleveled mobs there, but either way that's what I noticed. Some AI and number tweaks can go a long way to make the combat system surprisingly good when you aren't fighting the defense bloat of overleveled mobs. PEN is still an awful mechanic.

The encounters in PoE1 and now here try to overwhelm you with huge numbers of enemies, yet only very few of them are dangerous on their own. The only really dangerous mobs I've come across are those with Rogue abilities, Wizards seem scary at first, but when you realize that most of their damaging spells target Reflex, yet all your guys have upwards of 100 Reflex defense, it kinda takes the bite out of them. Only Writhing Tentacles are hard-hitters if you don't do anything, but are quickly hardcountered by Suppress Affliction. The missing sixth party member is really noticeable, I haven't decided if that's good or not yet. The combat speed is good, I haven't felt the need to slow it down even more. So, yeah, I'm hopeful for the first time in ages that with tweaks and number crunching this combat system might turn out to be great and different enough from the IE games to be something distinct.

What I want to see is more interesting passives and unique passives for sub-classes, I'm really missing my Skaen Sneak Attack and I'm kinda regretting not going Priest/Rogue, instead of Priest/Fighter, but I'll see what it feels like when I get Shadowing Beyond and Finishing Blow. Oh, and I think choosing very few of your spells each level is dumb because you'll always pick the ones that you get the most use out of and niche spells that might help out in very few situations are ignored. I don't understand the reasoning behind this decision, you are already very limited by the amount of times you can cast spells per encounter, sooo.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Yeah they could have just stuck to memory slots for classic casters, give all spells and some slots that you get back anyway after fight and that's it. But that would mean classic casters would have ten time more choice than everyone else and that's too traditional for them because but muh fighters.

^ Top  
  4. Belegarsson Savant Patron

Belegarsson
    Apparently I bought this drunk two weeks ago and it got delivered today
    Which genius decided to call a lorebook "guidebook" btw? Made it sound like those useless trashbin tier physical prima guides.

[​IMG]

• Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    My only experience with such books is the "World of Witcher" book by Dark Horse, that came out with Witcher 3. That one was very good btw, but why did they keep calling PoE's books "guidebooks" I don't know. It was the same with volume 1.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The things people complain about, Jesus. Guidebook is just as fitting as lorebook, becaues it is a guide to the history and nations of Deadfire Archipelago. It looks great, but if you don't like it, I'll gladly take it off of your hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    After long pause i repurchased deadfire again (this time on gog) and o boy lacrymas was right writing exploration combat companions ship combat evrything is uter BS.Im replaying first pillars again fuck this shit.Every penny goes to nekatatka side areas are degenerate pick food/drink degenerate bs most of the time.

• what? what? x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Quillon Cipher

Quillon

• No No x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ScrotumBroth Scrotal Projection Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It's not all that bad for a drunken decision. I've read about a drunken guy who licked a hookers anus, although he refused to pay in the end, so take from that what you will.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Looking at it,well at least you will be able to use it a self defence weapon. Thick cover,sharp angles,could kill a man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. vdweller Arcane Developer

vdweller
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 15
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    First, why buy it a second time, and second, actually Lacrymas has a mostly positive opinion on the "game" parts of the game, and so do most people here, except a few who just shit aimlessly at every game with no arguments behind the shit.

Same here. Consumables are not to be overlooked any more on Veteran and I guess on PotD as well. I spent some time yesterday studying them and their effects.

I also appreciate how much more valuable money is, with all the new money sinks - ship upgrades, buying new ships, upgrading items, buying unique items, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. santino27 Magister

santino27
    I'll be curious to hear if you think that continues. Money was (briefly) tight in POE also, before getting ludicrously plentiful at high levels. I'd heard the same thing about Deadfire, but supposedly, the last patch did have some changes to try to address money bloat.

^ Top  
  14. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    I don't know, I've been saving money for a bigger ship for some time now, but every now and then I decide I just have to upgrade some weapon, and there goes a hard earned 3-5k

I don't think it's even possible to end up with everything maxed out even if you don't switch gear.

The idea of upgradeable unique items is really good in my experience. It's a money sink for one thing, but more importantly it creates a feeling of attachment to that piece of gear.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. BING XI LAO Savant

BING XI LAO
    I found pyrite the real limiting resource, not money. But I think I sold some before realising it was used for enchantments.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    That's only in the context of overleveled packs of mobs, though, not encounters for my level. While it was nifty, it was only due to the enormous defenses of the mobs, needs more AI.

^ Top  
  17. 2house2fly Erudite

2house2fly
    You definitely get enough money to fully enchant two weapon sets and armour for a five-man party, assuming you don't buy expensive uniques. If you do buy expensive uniques then you can probably still fully enchant them, but you'll have to be careful what you craft and what ships/upgrades you get

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Informative Informative x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    :stabbedintheback:

they're not even good romances!!

^ Top  
  20. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    I'd be fine if this was a charity organisation for the supporting of well-meaning people who really want to be writers.

At present I'm not fine, and I think they have no place writing outside of tumblr.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Did you just quote me cross-forum & also out of context

I think in a world where these kinds of CRPGs were at one point close to extinction, and one where a game like BG2 also spent resources on romances (inadvertently forcing a decades-long strange bedfellows situation - jesus now people post powergaming builds prefaced by anime hawt chick portraits and poetry), I'm willing to accept that some of the resources go to stuff that I would not touch with a ten foot pole. What matters is the quality that they deliver on POTD and such.

It's a separate problem that they're bad - I wouldn't know, I'm never going to actually read/play through them, but the "hey would you like to pursue romance" dialogues were terribad enough.

^ Top  
  22. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    yes, but only in jest.

I am not sure. We're basically talking accepting lower bar for writing in favour of some other type of gameplay.

Same with combat.

If you begin adding story modes you're just trying to sit on 2 chairs same time. You can add 3, 5, 6 difficulty mods + blessings or whatever, but people who just don't like these sort of games will ask more/miss their story modes until you tell them they exist on twitter or something/ask of removal of systems they don't like anyway.

At that point you're making a game which won't satisfy anyone.

How can people learn to love these games if they never have to learn, never have to adapt and challenge themselves to accomplish some difficult fight, if you will always chew content and put in their mouths for them? How can players evolve then?

Way I see it audience would just continue to degenerate if you do not provide it with at least some reasonable difficulty and pray for them to have some intelligence. Until you make games for people who can't find their button to hide helmet they asked for.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Shadenuat

To be clear, my position is - romances are a waste of time, but if you gotta do them, yes, do them well. POE1 & 2 have been a lesson in Obsidian's rapid decline in writing quality across the board, and I think it's sad that Obsidian are losing their unique colour not because they're trying too hard to sell to COD players, but simply because they don't have the talent to pull it off anymore.

With story mode, that's a better point. In the short term I accept it as kind of an easy way to preserve some semblance of real difficulty while satisfying people who couldn't beat the first level of Pac Man, but in the long term, it definitely is like eating your own flesh. I guess I'm more fatalistic and know that this particular battle was lost more or less at the turn of the century. Whether it's POE, D:OS, WL2, etc., even these niche games with their niche sales now completely depend on people who have no idea what their spells do or why they are dying. I believe that now, if you choose to, say, make POTD difficulty the Normal one, you'll only get sales as large as AOD/Underrail. Which is why I'm thankful the latter exist, and if I could only save one developer from a volcanic eruption it would obviously be VD/Styg over Obsidian - but back in the real world I'm pretty happy to have both.

It's actually weird - what's been happening is that POTD is used to 'retain' a hardcore audience and a certain set of expectations, but they become increasingly disaggregated from the rest of the same game audience as well. Probably because they took the decision of focusing on combat difficulty, while not being very ambitious at attrition/seafaring/exploration/CYOA difficulty. If they did the latter, with injuries and permadeaths and bad consequences as you explore the isles, it would probably have been far more contentious - and harmful to sales.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Fuck romances, they cant even write the most elementary character traits well. It is not a matter of "would you like romances?". I didnt like or enjoy any companion other than Durance, who isnt an option anymore. Obsidian should stop writing them. And i dont mean romances, i mean companions in general.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Florian Gheorghe Savant

Florian Gheorghe
    They are still better than any companions from D:OS.
    Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)