Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
ligatures are part of the writing. It's not the same as an option to change font size. They actually spent time on coming up with that shit, probably including fucking proofreading

holy shit are you fucking dumb :lol:

I'll help you along, my slightly retarded cousin. What about those sentences made your head go ouchie? That ligatures are part of the writing? Or that someone had to sit down to come up with this crap?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
- ligatures are most definitely not part of the writing
- it's more or less the same thing as changing font type from times new roman to some derivative of it
- proofreading for that is unnecessary because it's a systemic toggle

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
- ligatures are most definitely not part of the writing

"The writing is not part of the writing". Intredasting. I'll have to ask you what you define as being part of the writing :lol:

But I'll help you along again. The fuckers developed conlangs for their little setting, to tie in with the lore. Ligatures are part of those conlangs, but they hardly introduce themselves by necessity. You just went the extra mile to put them there. Even if the pronunciation of those words in your mind begged for ligatures, it just shows how far down that particular rabbit hole you've gone. You've made the whole thing just complex enough to turn reading fantasyspeak as it was intended to be read into learning a foreign language. Players will fall into three groups of people: those who turn that shit off because they don't want to be asking themselves how a name like Tâ~hwanakì was pronounced in the language of the island dwelling fish people again, they're at the point where they just make up names in their head. Then you have people who just leave it on because they've come to just skip all that shit. You have a quest log and map markers, all you basically need to keep in mind are the first three letters of any NPC's name. And then there are the spergs among you audience who are just as myopic as you, they actually care about that shit more than other aspects of the game, and you're actually catering to those people.

- it's more or less the same thing as changing font type from times new roman to some derivative of it

Changing font size isn't the same as changing grammar you goddamn dolt. Try to convince someone of that IRL. Please.

- proofreading for that is unnecessary because it's a systemic toggle

Orthography of fantasyspeak words are hardly going to be the same in all the bullshit native languages of your world, right? You'd still have to consider if Mábw'hani is an Aumaua grown up in Dyrwood culture or a Vailian merchant prince away from home for the first time. In theory, at least. Because even the writers are going to stop giving a shit at some point. But then... you can just turn all of that off! :lol:

:yeah:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ligatures are part of those conlangs

YMC6hSf.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature

any of these look familiar?

allow me not to respond to the rest of your drivel

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Ligatures are part of those conlangs

YMC6hSf.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature

any of these look familiar?

allow me not to respond to the rest of your drivel

how fitting you would choose another retarded shithead to support your point :lol:

oh, this here is a ligature according to your link:
German ß

Blimey, not only is the s in this ligature pronounced differently, but the vowel that went before it was also denoted in its pronunciation. Hmm.

:hero:

Oh, but of course then there are 'stylistic ligatures'. Those are supposed to have arisen out of practical considerations - IN WRITING. No matter if there's an aesthetic component to them as well as Lacrymas claimed, they are elements of written language, and only make sense there. WHY THE FUCK AM I SEEING LIGATURES WHEN AN NPC IS SUPPOSED TO SPEAK TO ME? Are you doing your fucking best to break the fourth wall here or something?

:nocountryforshitposters:

'I read something that doesn't seem to make sense to me so I don't have to reply to anything else'. Roxor, keep informing us of what abilities in games give a slightly larger ROI and are therefore completely overpowered, 1/10 would never play again, and so on. That's a better field of activity for someone with your autism.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
quote me where i say that the ligatures in poe aren't stupid

or are you just gonna stand there and keep moving goal posts

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You deluded fucks can't see the madness inherent in being allowed to tailor the fucking writing of a game to your liking because you've gone so far down that road you're calling lunacy your home. Muh options, gibs me.
Ligatures are an orthographical element, not part of the writing.

They actually spent time on coming up with that shit, probably including fucking proofreading
The font is open source, and the ligature symbols are part of the font itself. The symbols are used automatically when there are two letters that can have a ligature. It doesn't require any proof reading, we live in the computarz age. Google "pillars of eternity font" and you'll find the font. I forgot the exact name. Josh chose that because its glyphs were shaped after a real 16th century font. The ligatures are also part of that.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
quote me where i say that the ligatures in poe aren't stupid

or are you just gonna stand there and keep moving goal posts

you definitely didn't say they are. You said they aren't part of the writing and turning them off is like changing font size. Bullshit.

Anyway, it's myopic because this is exactly what that whole clamoring for options culminates in, logically. A game that is basically all optional and zero clearly defined.

It's like a boardgame with nothing but houserules, but that combination of houserules was never tested properly. People just make shit up as they go.

That kind of thing may fly in PnP - if you treat it as a social thing or love LARPing - but it doesn't fly in vidya where there's no flexible DM to tweak things on the go and even MP is not a hugely social experience.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
You deluded fucks can't see the madness inherent in being allowed to tailor the fucking writing of a game to your liking because you've gone so far down that road you're calling lunacy your home. Muh options, gibs me.
Ligatures are an orthographical element, not part of the writing.

Orthography being an element of grammar. And the grammar of A FUCKING FICTIONAL LANGUAGE that you made up along with lore and creatures to go into that setting that, you know, you made up. Plz stop being retarded (if possible) about this not being writing.

They actually spent time on coming up with that shit, probably including fucking proofreading
The font is open source, and the ligature symbols are part of the font itself. The symbols are used automatically when there are two letters that can have a ligature. It doesn't require any proof reading, we live in the computarz age. Google "pillars of eternity font" and you'll find the font. I forgot the exact name. Josh chose that because its glyphs were shaped after a real 16th century font. The ligatures are also part of that.

You apparently didn't read shit of what I said about that, or you didn't understand it. Anyways :deathclaw:

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
Never conceding the point, even when presented with all the evidence in the world that disproves your argument - it's the Codex way! :lol:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Never conceding the point, even when presented with all the evidence in the world that disproves your argument - it's the Codex way! :lol:

It absolutely is. Too many myopic autists, I guess. But then the unashamed autism and sperging make this place interesting too. Because while people are too retarded to concede the point that this options craze culminating in making writing optional is runining games, or rather making games non-games, you'd still not get such a discussion going elsewhere.

:thumbsup:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
The average internet retard: "Everyone who pays any amount of attention to anything must be an autist."

are you now taking the discussion to 'the Kodex is not full of autists but simply refined gentlemen'? :lol: Because in that case, I'm out my friend. I can interact with autists, but not with howling lunatics.

Quillon

Arcane

Early attempts for making fans do the work? Make your art immortal in our game yo!

At least they aren't asking for fan VO :D

Quillon

Arcane

We used the same conversation editor for both games. The tool is really part of a stand-alone toolset called OEI Tools. It has been developed in-house by our excellent tools team over the past 11 years (IIRC). I believe development on the tool started on our Aliens project (RIP). After working with a few different dialogue editors, including the tree-based editor we used for Neverwinter Nights 2, I was convinced that an editor with a flowchart like Visio (which I had used to set up character state machines for another game) would be an improvement.

Several designers did not like this idea at first glance because the tree-style layout was perfectly adequate for 75% of our dialogues. It was the 25% that got really large and complex that became hard to navigate. To make a long story short, we iterated on the editor while working on Aliens, Dungeon Siege III, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Stormlands (RIP).

By the time we got to making Pillars of Eternity, the toolset had improved immensely. Over the course of Pillars and Deadfire, the tools team added a huge amount of functionality. We now use the tool for writing dialogue and chatter, setting up quests, maintaining our global variables, building AI behavior trees, and editing all of our game data (character classes, races, abilities, etc.).

It is integrated into Perforce (what we use for source control) and our string database. We maintain our entire localization pipeline through the tool and are able to export conversations to xml/json, voice actor scripts, screenplay-style scripts, and even to pdfs that maintain the flowchart structure. It is by far the best dialogue tool I’ve worked with and our tools team deserves massive credit for it.

Here are a few shots. Warning: some Deadfire spoilers follow.

tumblr_inline_pamu7lvyDL1ri73pi_540.png

Obsidian is always working on multiple projects concurrently. Some designers also split their time between projects. Switching projects is relatively fast and painless. It connects to the database and reloads all of the project-specific data and plug-ins.

I’ve posted many screenshots of our editor before, but here are some different types of conversations for contrast.

tumblr_inline_pamuj6MEcf1ri73pi_1280.png

This is Pallegina’s “outcast” conversation if she was banished from the Vailian Republics (and not redeemed) at the end of Pillars of Eternity. The flowchart is relatively simple. The tall stacks are “Cascade Nodes”. All companions who have lines written and inserted in the Cascade Node will speak up when the node is hit. This differs from a Bank Node, where generally a single character will respond, either at random or based on node order. These distinctive shapes become navigation aids in larger conversations.

tumblr_inline_pamuthobQ41ri73pi_1280.png

This is Pallegina’s hub conversation. As you can see from the density of nodes in the Overview window and how “tall” the stack is, hubs usually have a lot of entry points. This is because hubs often have to handle myriad conditions for starting conversations with a companion over the course of the entire game. I’m going to go a little more in-depth with how many of these there can be.

These are all in vertical order from top to bottom, which is the order in which the game processes nodes. Any node with a key in front of it has conditionals. If the conditionals are not met, it drops to the next node below it. This process continues until it finds a valid node.

tumblr_inline_pamv04uc2G1ri73pi_1280.png

Two slightly different circumstances lead to different introduction nodes with different reads:

tumblr_inline_pamv1jxC2l1ri73pi_1280.png

tumblr_inline_pamv1yQNwy1ri73pi_1280.png

tumblr_inline_pamv3t9nPV1ri73pi_1280.png

tumblr_inline_pamv4lc0Qd1ri73pi_1280.png

tumblr_inline_pamv5xDIrh1ri73pi_1280.png

In this pair, there is a “generally good” intro node that bifurcates into “excellent” and “good”.

tumblr_inline_pamv7gQSvo1ri73pi_1280.png

“Bad” ending intro that gates based on how the player treated Pallegina at Queen’s Berth. If the player didn’t speak to Pallegina in Queen’s Berth, it falls through to the bottom option. Again, these are all introduction nodes. The hub has to deal with a lot more conditions.

tumblr_inline_pamva3wbIY1ri73pi_1280.png

This is typically launched by the game based on conditions in the Companion Manager, but can also appear if the player forces conversation with Pallegina while the same conditions are met.

tumblr_inline_pamvbt5onO1ri73pi_1280.png

If the Bad 3 is not hit, it falls through and checks for Bad 2.

tumblr_inline_pamvciUsaf1ri73pi_400.png

Bad 1 and Neutral do not have nodes. Those reputation values are tracked, but Pallegina doesn’t respond to them. If the player doesn’t have a Bad 3 or Bad 2 rep with Pallegina, it falls through to Good 1.

tumblr_inline_pamve2OqkH1ri73pi_1280.png

If none of those reputation conditions are true, it falls through to her general question node with randomized initial nodes. It always loops back to:

tumblr_inline_pamvg0vceY1ri73pi_1280.png

With Player Responses that are conditionalized.

tumblr_inline_pamvhdGDzo1ri73pi_1280.png

For after you do Pallegina’s personal quest.

tumblr_inline_pamviijMAp1ri73pi_500.png

A one-off line that fires when the player allies with the Vailian Trading Company.

tumblr_inline_pamvkcKbJc1ri73pi_1280.png

In the Undercroft, Mad Morena tries to get the player to rob the luminous adra mill. It seemed weird for Pallegina to interject in the middle of a pirate fort, so she has a hub branch that fires for that special occasion.

tumblr_inline_pamvl2NqMi1ri73pi_1280.png

She really doesn’t like it if you ally with another faction, so she has a general, “The buck stops here” hub branch that gates based on your allegiance.

tumblr_inline_pamvnciy3M1ri73pi_540.png

End of the game. You might be saying, “Hey, Josh, a bunch of these conditionalized branches are lower than the unconditionalized question branch.” You’re right. And technically they don’t need conditions because it should always fall through to the question branch (stopping). But I still conditionalize them just in case I need to shift their order (which is mercifully easy).

Those nodes below the question node are typically called by scripts, so they should not be hit if the player just randomly starts dialogue with Pallegina. The script will say, “start conversation companion_pallegina_hub at Node 150.”

And here is what our script window looks like:

tumblr_inline_pamw5q4WWE1ri73pi_1280.png

Scripts on a node can be conditionals (i.e., requirements to display or play the node at all) or they can be events that fire when the node is entered (On Enter), exited (On Exit), or updated via other means (On Update). When you’re in one plane, the scripts pane only displays the appropriate types of scripts. E.g. Has SubClass is only appropriate in Conditional, not On Enter, et al.

The Call Global Conditional is an incredibly useful function for us. It allows designers to bundle together a set of conditions elsewhere and then check the whole group of them through one reference. Pallegina can be banished in a number of ways in Pillars 1, i.e. through different conditions. The Call Global Conditional GE_Pallegina_Was_Banished goes through them all and returns True or False. It’s much easier and cleaner than checking the whole set every time.

Now for some more contrast: Dereo the Lean:

tumblr_inline_pamwc1Lkrb1ri73pi_1280.png

Dereo’s conversation was sort of a nightmare because he’s technically involved in three (IIRC) quests. Because of all his starting states, Carrie Patel (his writer) had to construct a lot of different entry points for him.

And here’s your conversation with Eothas at Hasongo:

tumblr_inline_pamwfbKCN81ri73pi_1280.png

Critical path story conversations tend to have more “forward thrust”. They extend farther horizontally because they’re pushing a topic forward. Cf. with the first Eothas conversation at Maje Island which has much less player input:

tumblr_inline_pamwic0t7s1ri73pi_1280.png

The player is essentially witnessing something happening and only has two interaction points.

Enough about the conversation editor itself. Here’s the global variable editor:

tumblr_inline_pamwo3oNMp1ri73pi_1280.png

We set up all of our global variables in this data bundle. The editor also has the ability to interface directly with the live game so we can see where variables are at any given moment.

tumblr_inline_pamwrwpumW1ri73pi_1280.png

Our quest editor is similar to the conversation editor, but has a vertical structure. More complex quests branch more. This one is Pallegina’s. The Conversations window allows the quest designer to link all quest-relevant conversations to quest data. In turn, this allows our narrative designers to quickly move through every conversation in a quest for a writing and/or review pass.

For comparison, this is Storms of Poko Kohara, a much more complicated quest that itself has two potential “wrapper” quests from the VTC and RDC:

tumblr_inline_pamwwnnghF1ri73pi_1280.png

A new feature for Deadfire is the alert system. Alerts can be used by devs to give feedback or request action on an individual node. Here I’m leaving feedback for myself:

tumblr_inline_pamx2up2a71ri73pi_540.png

These then go into a Feedback list that the author can quickly go through (it pulls you to the correct node) and either ignore or mark as Resolved.

tumblr_inline_pamx7fdBBx1ri73pi_1280.png

And finally, a vital element of any dialogue tool: the string database.

tumblr_inline_pamxcwDD4Z1ri73pi_1280.png

The database is broken into individual tables that contain each conversation as well as each group of similar gameplay strings (e.g. “GUI” and “Cyclopedia”).

tumblr_inline_pamxfoSNmL1ri73pi_1280.png

The column view is customizable. In the second window, I removed German Female because GUI strings don’t often need a female-specific translation auf Deutsch.

tumblr_inline_pamxi205Ct1ri73pi_640.png

We have a robust pipeline for handling localization, from generating files for translators to re-importing them. And, of course, tracking progress.

tumblr_inline_pamxkyK8VM1ri73pi_400.png

We also have a lot of other incredibly useful functionality, such as the ability to export screenplays for actors and flowcharts for visual reference when someone doesn’t have the toolset installed.

As I’ve said before, this is an excellent toolset and it’s a testament to the passion and attention to detail of Obsidian’s designers and tools programmers. This particular toolset is very well-suited to the type of games we make. Most studios will never need many of these features, but I do want to say to the developers out there that investing in tools can pay enormous dividends. If you don’t have the time or money to make your own tools, look into third party options! They exist!

And if you do have the time and resources to make your own tools, feel free to steal (or ignore) ideas from companies that have already put in the work.

Thanks for reading.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't this information kind of old? I think he answers this very same question every 2 months or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom