Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I was in the digsite dungeon, that was cool. I was in fort deadlight, that was cooler. I was in neketaka, that's really great. I was in Poko Kohara, that was great too. Now I'm in the Old City at lvl 10. The Old City is really something. This game is good. And it's also pretty big.

frajaq

Erudite
I hope Fassina gets revamped a little, she has like 3 interjections only compared to the others. Like what's the point of using her, might as well make a custom wizard

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He brings up "Don't use excel for dialogue" topic occasionally.
I use notepad because I have no need for fancy schmancy flowcharts (so far). :M

That tool is a bit more user friendly than I expected it to be (though it could always be more) so it puzzles me why Deadfire still has all these scripting bugs. Just plain human sloppiness?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Rekke is the only good sidekick. He's the only one you can initiate dialogue with and has a decent amount of interjections.

2house2fly

Magister
It's really dumb that they didn't even have a basic dialogue tree for the sidekicks, or some reaction lines along the main quest. The only reason to use them is if I'm specifically avoiding using the story companions for some reason and I can't be bothered creating a custom party member

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like this game a lot, but its giving me a particularly bad case of restart-itis.

Started off with a Berserker/Helwalker. That was rather decent, however not that great synergy perhaps (Frenzy bonuses don't stack with Might and Penetration from Thunderous Blows and action speed from Flurry). Then came patch 1.1 and monks were hit rather hard. Elemental lashes went from (future, potential) 80% (30% early) to 40% (15% early, meh). And of course the Helwalker malus was making my character a little squishy. Plus some damage resistance items were also nerfed bad (Eothasian Amulet!). So despite the lovely Might and Intelligence bonuses, I felt that was no longer worth the trade. So I decided to try something else.

Rolled a Berserker/Streetfighter. Well, turned out to be quite a monster. Also squishy and needing quite a bit of party support to survive, but the damage he was pumping was sick.
Was dealing perhaps too much friendly fire damage though (I could eventually remove Confusion... but I kinda wanted to keep it to self-inflict Distraction with Lord Darryn's Voulge and keep the Streetfighter bonus going).

Plus I wanted to try something more versatile. So I tried a Cipher Ascendant/Assasin. Well, wasn't exactly bad, had his moments. +25 Accuracy on first action from Stealth could really help to land some nasty power, even on a strong enemy. On the other hand couldn't really take advantage of buffs/debuffs/Ascension PL bonus while opening combat (so the Accuracy bonus wasn't THAT great) and Backstab was a huge dissapointment. Also it turned out to be a mostly once-per-encounter affair, at least till mid levels+. Didn't like the Smoke Veil mechanics, wasted too many resources AND time to re-stealth (while I could be making 2 Crippling Strike Full-Attacks and some more in the same time).

So I rerolled again into an Ascendant / Streetfighter. Like him a lot so far. Rapidly fills focus with Crippling Strikes, can activate Streetfighter bonus with Blunderbuss Powder Burns (or standing in Chill Fog with the Perception Resistance hat to downgrade the nasty Blind effect). And with Streetfighter bonus can shoot powers with machine-gun speed while Ascended.
But he's still very low level, so who knows...

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's really dumb that they didn't even have a basic dialogue tree for the sidekicks, or some reaction lines along the main quest. The only reason to use them is if I'm specifically avoiding using the story companions for some reason and I can't be bothered creating a custom party member
That word budget though. :M

Shadenuat

Arcane
Then came patch 1.1 and monks were hit rather hard.
Hard as my evoker did 180k damage per playthrough and monk 170k and she was single target damage.

I would rate that post with autism if I could.

Roll whatever fuck you like and finish goddamn game, what is wrong with people?

frajaq

Erudite
well yeah that why I used him a lot

most of the PoE 2 squad is so happy and cheery it honestly annoys me a bit

not edgy btw

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't blame him. The character system is so deep that it's fun to just reload and experiment with different builds.
Exactly, I love games that give me a headache when deciding what character to go with.
Character building is half the fun in decent cRPGs.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Why does every male companion hit on my male companion? I had to stop using Tekehu; he's way too gay. There was even a dialogue to hit on Eder, and I pretty much I had to say "fuck off" to avoid making a sexual/romantic advance. All this SJW, all-inclusive bullshit is annoying as hell.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Why does every male companion hit on my male companion? I had to stop using Tekehu; he's way too gay. There was even a dialogue to hit on Eder, and I pretty much I had to say "fuck off" to avoid making a sexual/romantic advance. All this SJW, all-inclusive bullshit is annoying as hell.
faggots-faggots-everywhere-gx5lgm.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's a new patch out on GOG, around 260 MB (at least that's what GOG Galaxy downloaded) and a new free DLC pack with ship-related content.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There's a new patch out on GOG, around 260 MB (at least that's what GOG Galaxy downloaded) and a new free DLC pack with ship-related content.

Naturally, they timed this perfectly with the start of the Steam summer sale, so the steam servers are hammered atm.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Nobody can say that Obsidian doesn't listen to their players. The game now, compared to release, is in a much better state.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom