Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Deadfire does have a lot of pointless fetch quests. Which is kind of fair,after all most RPGs do have a lot of fetch quests. The problem is that this ones are not respecting player's time and forcing you to go trough 20 load screens and read an hour of pointless drivel. There are only a few interesting quest chains and almost all of them end up with huge disappointment. Archmage one ends up half assed,the two families is a buggy mess of niggers,the under city temple one ended up anti climactic,the undead ship ended with you getting a shitty ship....and that was all the memorable ones.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Speaking of sacrificing companions, the option exists in Deadfire as well. There's an event where some robed cultists will ask if you want to sacrifice one of your companions and warn that it may be your only hope in the future (foreshadowing?).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Speaking of sacrificing companions, the option exists in Deadfire as well. There's an event where some robed cultists will ask if you want to sacrifice one of your companions and warn that it may be your only hope in the future (foreshadowing?).
And end up with a shitty useless one time item.:hahano:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Goodbye, Tekehu

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I love secret questlines like this

Can be found by Following the Sanguine Harvest miniquestline. You'll first find mention of the harvest in a note found on an exploration island. It will hint at Arkemyr's name. Speaking with Arkemyr will allow a dialogue option that she may have a book in her basement about it (you may have already acquired this earlier).

The book hints at the 16th of the month as being important and a ritual involving a Great Sword. Traveling to an island in Northwest Corner of the map there is an Island with a Fampyr Cave and a "Forest" Point of Interest. Resting until the 16th of the month and then approaching the Forest allows you to witness a sacrificial ritual involving a woman. If you choose to interrupt the ritual early you can save the woman. If you wait until after the sacrifice you can attack the cultists and receive this greatsword as loot. Island is located at 0 degrees 59' S 39 degrees 10' E.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Sanguine_Great_Sword

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Awesome spoiler quote there buddy.

JK I don't give af about PoE shit.
If you haven't finished the game still that is on you mate,also following a thread that is spoiler heavy is a strange thing to do. And whole other thing is that it is not a very hidden quest,also very stupid seeing how they sacrifice a woman every month or are just waiting for the protagonist to show up.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I complete all the quests I could in an area before I move on in every fucking game I cared to play. They needed to pace the quests, make them appear later, tie them to how much player has progressed in main story, whatever. I shouldn't need to pace myself.

This kind of OCD nonsense is on you though. Same with people who look for every nook and cranny they can find to power-level away difficulty. Games aren't designed around the 3% of people obsessed with playing in an unnatural way because their mother didn't breastfeed them enough.

Quillon

Arcane
I complete all the quests I could in an area before I move on in every fucking game I cared to play. They needed to pace the quests, make them appear later, tie them to how much player has progressed in main story, whatever. I shouldn't need to pace myself.

This kind of OCD nonsense is on you though. Same with people who look for every nook and cranny they can find to power-level away difficulty. Games aren't designed around the 3% of people obsessed with playing in an unnatural way because their mother didn't breastfeed them enough.

I saw quite a few people said the same thing over the years, this could be a common way of playing RPGs, you know; completionist type of way of things of this kind of some such affairs of playing games of 21st century of foxes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I saw quite a few people said the same thing over the years, this could be a common way of playing RPGs, you know; completionist type of way of things of this kind of some such type of playing games of 21st century of foxes.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a somewhat common thing to read on forums like this, but that's not the same as being common among players. In any case, majority or minority behind me, I'm against the idea of restricting access to content and quests until you're a higher level or whatever solely to avoid people doing everything in a city at once and then complaining there's nothing to do there anymore.

Quillon

Arcane
I saw quite a few people said the same thing over the years, this could be a common way of playing RPGs, you know; completionist type of way of things of this kind of some such type of playing games of 21st century of foxes.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a somewhat common thing to read on forums like this, but that's not the same as being common among players. In any case, majority or minority behind me, I'm against the idea of restricting access to content and quests until you're a higher level or whatever solely to avoid people doing everything in a city at once and then complaining there's nothing to do there anymore.

IMO in addition to reactivity, things should appear gradually instead of being present at all times; that's how you get the feeling that its a living & breathing world and shit.

I mean f.i. there is literally no reason to visit beautiful Port Maje except for 1 little mission after the prologue. Instead of killing off gov'ner in the epilogue they could have killed him during act 3 or whatever and sent us to investigate. Whole game feels like disposable content cos the continuity is saved for epilogue which is also shit this time around cos of da narrator change and not being very compelling compared to PoE1.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Content gating defies the core principles of open world design. I only support it when there's a good narrative reason, but in Deadfire's case there isn't.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Obsidian ~narrativer designers~: "We suck at using words"
jgz1LRV.png
Also, "there is a finite number of ways", you illiterates. Is this Megan Starks, the writeress, again?
I know one way it can end - Alt+F4, fuckers.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Content gating defies the core principles of open world design.

What are those?

I only support it when there's a good narrative reason, but in Deadfire's case there isn't.

Why would there be need of a reason? People/NPCs can have problems at different times(that the Player would solve), there is no reason to have only 1 problem at all times for player's convenience.

Quillon

Arcane
Area gating might be against such open world principles and can likely feel artificial/immersion breaking but not the quests themselves IMO.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not gating content in some way leads to other sins, like infinite level scaling up and down.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
As always, implementation matters.

Having to repeatedly backtrack to a major hub to check if some invisible trigger changed the world state and spawned bunch of new quests is fucking retarded.

Plot-gating large areas of the map on obviously artificial pretenses like PoE1 "lol bridge got destroyed" is also fucking retarded.

On the other hand, when entire plot is based around the idea that there's another map somewhere (Wasteland 2 or Gothic 2), that's quite all right.

The way Deadfire does this is also okay - progressing the main plot advances the world state and you'll be in Neketaka to discuss new developments with the head honchos anyway, so might as well check for new quests.

What Deadfire does wrong however, is there's not enough of changes in the city. When the main plot is growing increasingly apocalyptic, you can't just have people go about their business without a care in the world. Put more guards on the street, have people try to get out of town, that kind of stuff.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I haven't even played PoE2 yet. I was simply commenting on the idea of "some quests need to be restricted to late game because I might do them all now and then be bored" as a silly reason to restrict something. In Fallout: New Vegas there are good examples of quests that are held in an NPC's pocket until you reach a certain rank in their faction or what-have-you, which is a solid design choice. PoE2 maybe could have done more of that, I wouldn't know.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Not gating content in some way leads to other sins, like infinite level scaling up and down.

That's untrue. You can balance an open world without resorting to either level scaling or gating content, as long as some content is designed around max level.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Designing content for max level is gating and that's what I was referring to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom