Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Been playing almost non-stop since the release, finished it like 30 minutes ago.

The game itself is REALLY fun. Lots of quality content, islands to explore, items to loot and buy.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Right when the game is actually good, it doesn't seem to be selling. When it kinda sucks because it ruined a fairly well established combat system and replaced it with a nonsensical armor system, simplified all of its attributes and introduced a round robin system turning one of the attributes outright useless and also fucking up any attempts of yourself and the AI to set up combos, it sells like hot cakes and is considered literally the best CRPG of all time.
Proof that the average steam buyer is an impulsive beast moved by marketing and graphix and dont really care that much for quality.

Jinn

Arcane
Been playing since the release, finished it like 30 minutes ago.

The game itself is pretty fun. Lots of content, islands to explore, items to loot and buy.

Finished 4 days after release? Sounds like you found the game to be a LOT of fun.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
:retarded: O gods those devs are retarded! The flyinghangmen is worst ship than the ship that you could by for 5000-64000 in the main city. It is just glorified galleon,that is just sooooo meh,having in mind that i had to endure half an hour of loadings! Fuck them with an iron dildo in the ass!!!

EDIT:It is even worst than a galleon,you can't upgrade it.
When I tried the Principi quest after meeting Eothas at the volcano place, I saved the elf lady, Aedalys? But after I killed Furrante, I tried walking out. At the exit were some aggressive pirates I hadn't killed. They triggered aggro on the elf woman, and I had to kill them all, failing the quest.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm mostly repeating the reasons already in this thread but anyway, sales isn't high as expected because:
1. underwhelming post reception of the first game.
2. a lot of people heard this game being a direct sequel that requires playing the first game to understand what's going on, so I can imagine some try to digest the first game before jumping into this game.
3. 3 announced expansions that probably triggered a lot of "patient gamers" into waiting for a GOTY edition.
4. high price, especially when casuals are used to spending 10 bucks less for DOS2, combined with season pass and you guess the rest.
5. yesterday was saturday for me so i went digging a bit in comment sections on reddit, journalist sites and so forth, I noticed a remarkable amount of bias against real time with pause. This one is my favorite
I can't really follow 10+ characters actions in 2 real time seconds.
basically "I can't get into a game because it requires brain functioning" :happytrollboy:
6. some people are iffy against ship management and combat, these are the minority though.
7. the marketing as Infinitron mentioned, is absofuckinglutely botched. It got released on the same day as Conan Exiles and that stupid survival game had an enormous banner on Steam's front page, 2 days later it got replaced by Dota 2 Battlepass. It simply has no mainstream spotlight at all.

Last edited:
Argh, I made the mistake of engaging in a convo in Obs forums:

Obs forumite replied:
You're actually wrong here. Roleplaying a gimp is a thing... in pen/paper and video games. You can make any game a roleplaying game.... Heck those sports management games are roleplaying games... playing spiderman on the PS4 could be considered roleplaying if you wanted to.

So yeah you're fundamentally wrong and need to go back to gaming school.

001.jpg

Jezal_k23

I acknowledge that it being more expensive than DOS2 was pretty weird. DOS2 is just as big, maybe Deadfire is a little bigger, can't say right now. But either way DOS2 is a game of the same caliber, even though it's worse in several ways. POE2 being more expensive might turn people away.

Jezal_k23

DOS2 has some the worst itemization I have ever seen. Enjoy your shiny new item for the minutes it might last. Also, the uniques were boring, even without considering they last 10 minutes.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I thought marketing was pretty good actually. They had that paid shill streamer who had 15,000 people watching. They had the Critical Role thing. I've seen fairly active threads leading up to release on a lot of bigger places on reddit, where that Eric dude often shows up. The media reception is stellar, includgin the press and the YouTubers. The Steam reviews are great.

And Pillars 1, unlike something like WL2 which was dead in 6 months, has a fairly active community and continued being played by decent amount people all throughout its lifecycle.

I'm not sure what else they could do exactly? It's not like they can afford Conan playing it on Clueless Gamer. Although I'd watch that just to see him meltdown over the clusteruck on the screen.

I agree on the players skipping the first game though. I like the main plot so far but I think without first game people will find it incomprehensible.

Jezal_k23

I think the Watcher dying in the keep and then someone else picking up Eothas' trail could have worked too. Could have even integrated Aloth and Pallegina into the story the same way they they did now. Not Eder though.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I think the Watcher dying in the keep and then someone else picking up Eothas' trail could have worked too. Could have even integrated Aloth and Pallegina into the story the same way they they did now. Not Eder though.

The Watcher didn't even need to die. It could have just been another story set in the same world. Also no one cared about Pallegina or Aloth as they were two of the trash (well 2nd tier at best) companions in PoE1. Still have no idea why they brought them back.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
In D: OS2, I loved the robe Alexander dropped. It had a unique look that made my elf fighter no longer look like a tree. But then it became obsolete about immediately, and I sold it.

Here, you get a unique that's better than anything else, and then you enchant it to be even better whenever you can spare the money.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:retarded: O gods those devs are retarded! The flyinghangmen is worst ship than the ship that you could by for 5000-64000 in the main city. It is just glorified galleon,that is just sooooo meh,having in mind that i had to endure half an hour of loadings! Fuck them with an iron dildo in the ass!!!

EDIT:It is even worst than a galleon,you can't upgrade it.
When I tried the Principi quest after meeting Eothas at the volcano place, I saved the elf lady, Aedalys? But after I killed Furrante, I tried walking out. At the exit were some aggressive pirates I hadn't killed. They triggered aggro on the elf woman, and I had to kill them all, failing the quest.
There is a no-blood way to finish the quest,the guy have a leather in his chest in his room,just take it and confront him.

Yeah the quest chains are pretty broken in my opinion,also they feel rushed and unfinished. I had the feeling that we will conquer the city and kill all the companies bosses,but you just take the ship and go fight some shark armada that come from nowhere.

The whole pirate quest chain is pretty shit,that is why i just decided to kill all of the asshole myself. By this point i am expecting for them to be alive in the endings,that is how low my opinion of the writing/structure is.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Also no one cared about Pallegina or Aloth as they were two of the trash (well 2nd tier at best) companions in PoE1. Still have no idea why they brought them back.

Best guess is that they wanted to retain some bland companions since all of the new ones are actually colorful and interesting for a change. Probably didn't want to overdo it in the other direction and have every companion be a wisecracking weirdo.

Pizzashoes

Scholar

The Watcher didn't even need to die. It could have just been another story set in the same world. Also no one cared about Pallegina or Aloth as they were two of the trash (well 2nd tier at best) companions in PoE1. Still have no idea why they brought them back.
Whoa now. I like Pallegina and Aloth. A black female paladin played completely straight. She's infertile, and she devoted her life to the Vailian cause. A Leaden Key spy from the great Aedyran Empire, with an abusive father and an awakened soul. They've got hooks, they're established in the world, and they're almost 2-dimensional.

Tier 2 only because Avellone can write. But Pallegina and Aloth were just fine.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyway, Neketaka is pretty fucking good. I'm on a quest to rob some dude and there's at least 3 approaches to get into his house. And there's a lot of stuff like this. The interplay between the factions is also great. Goes to show you that F:NV model is a golden standard for how big cities should be designed.

jf8350143

Liturgist
DOS2 has some the worst itemization I have ever seen. Enjoy your shiny new item for the minutes it might last. Also, the uniques were boring, even without considering they last 10 minutes.
Wait, there is unique in DoS2? All I can remember is that one two-hand weapon you have to do a long ass quest to get, which is utter useless unless you intentional delay the quest till you are level 20.

Other than that all I can remember is random generated weapons and armours.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Anyway, Neketaka is pretty fucking good. I'm on a quest to rob some dude and there's at least 3 approaches to get into his house. And there's a lot of stuff like this. The interplay between the factions is also great. Goes to show you that F:NV model is a golden standard for how big cities should be designed.
Yeah,in the begining the game is great,the archmage mansion is pretty fun,but his quest chain is half-arsed and unfinished,just like most of the quest chains. Later on the wholes and rushed development become obvious. IT is really sad,such a great opportunity wasted.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also no one cared about Pallegina or Aloth as they were two of the trash (well 2nd tier at best) companions in PoE1. Still have no idea why they brought them back.

Best guess is that they wanted to retain some bland companions since all of the new ones are actually colorful and interesting for a change. Probably didn't want to overdo it in the other direction and have every companion be a wisecracking weirdo.

They could only retain companions that they still had the original writers for I thought. Eric and Chris leaving meant those were the options I thought.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah,in the begining the game is great,the archmage mansion is pretty fun,but his quest chain is half-arsed and unfinished,just like most of the quest chains. Later on the wholes and rushed development become obvious. IT is really sad,such a great opportunity wasted.

So basically just like the first game, where they frontloaded all the best content almost right at the start, and the quality kept dropping lower and lower as you progressed.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
It was said earlier, but there’s a great map with Eothas as a moving set piece late in the game. Too bad Xoti acts like a self-inserted, nervous schoolgirl meeting her idol. Then to add salt on it, there’s a scene where her VA voices your character’s thoughts!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

They could only retain companions that they still had the original writers for I thought. Eric and Chris leaving meant those were the options I thought.

Well they could have included the other characters without the original writers but I can understand not doing so. The real question is why bring Aloth and Pallegina even if the original writers where there. They were boring and cringy. The only three memorable characters in PoE were Durance, GM, and Eder.

I can see Eder being like Garrus - the bro who is with you till the end but the other two are replacement level NPCs.

Whoa now. I like Pallegina and Aloth. A black female paladin played completely straight. She's infertile, and she devoted her life to the Vailian cause. A Leaden Key spy from the great Aedyran Empire, with an abusive father and an awakened soul. They've got hooks, they're established in the world, and they're almost 2-dimensional.

Tier 2 only because Avellone can write. But Pallegina and Aloth were just fine.

Pallegia's main quest was a trade agreement. I'm surprised a kid high in midichlorian count didn't appear to mess things up. The Aloth backstory you describe is pretty cool until you realize a sassy take charge woman is hiding under his skin. Jesus.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom