Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
Parabalus, vanilla Bg2 is certainly much more challenging than PoE1, extreme cheese tactics aside. Obsidian wouldn't dare (and didn't dare) release a game that hard nowadays.

I have only played IWD1 once, I am not into the IWDs.

What are we comparing? Bg2 Insane no mods vs PoE1 on PotD?

Who is piloting? Someone who has played IE games but playing PoE1 first time (majority of players)? Someone who has played PoE1 but starting Bg2?
Groups of people who have played neither?

People played PoE1 after familiarity with IE games, if you give a bunch of lab rats the games I wouldn't be so sure Bg2 would come out on top, especially if someone whispered to them "You need maaaaaages!".

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Parabalus, vanilla Bg2 is certainly much more challenging than PoE1, extreme cheese tactics aside. Obsidian wouldn't dare (and didn't dare) release a game that hard nowadays.

Who is piloting? Someone who has played IE games but playing PoE1 first time (majority of players)? Someone who has played PoE1 but starting Bg2?

People played PoE1 after familiarity with IE games, if you give a bunch of lab rats the games I wouldn't be so sure Bg2 would come out on top, especially if someone whispered to them "You need maaaaaages!".

How about normal Vs normal or insane Vs PotD. In both cases SoA is vastly more difficult overall.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought you were talking about Deadfire for some reason. I do not remember the difficulty of PoE1 at release very well although I had much less trouble traversing that game than SoA. (Granted I played on hard not PotD on my release playthrough)

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Like I said, I reinstalled Baldurs Gate II yesterday and am finding it to be a cakewalk so far. The IE games were only difficult if you didn't understand AD&D.

Parabalus

Arcane

How about normal Vs normal or insane Vs PotD. In both cases SoA is vastly more difficult.

Difficulty does little for SoA since it only adds damage unmodded. I haven't played PoE1 below PotD, but I guess it's easy enough - SoA insane vs PoE1 PotD I'm not so sure.

Trashos

Arcane
SoA on Hard (not even Insane) is plenty challenging, while PoE1 PotD isn't.

After a while in PoE1 (no WM) I couldn't die even if I tried, with the exception of a couple of fights. In BG2 you die all the time if you are not careful and don't use cheese. BG2 may have become easy for some of us 2 decades and 20 playthroughs later, but I doubt any such people found PoE1 challenging at all.

Difficulty does little for SoA since it only adds damage unmodded. I haven't played PoE1 below PotD, but I guess it's easy enough - SoA insane vs PoE1 PotD I'm not so sure.

On Insane, 2 crits in a row and Jaheira is unraisably dead. I know, because it has happened to me.

Sòren

Arcane
Is the Obsidian forum slowly turning into a BioWare 2.0? Looking at their story board to get more clarity in the ending, and half of the topics it seems are about companions and romances.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98322-ending-spoilers-the-ending-is-really-confusing/page-1
there's at least this one.

didn't give me many new insights though. btw i don't agree with your opinion that the god thing is something that they "brushed aside", it was actually so important that the writers didn't even think about giving the player any opportunity to change that outcome. compared to that, the competing factions element is pretty negligible. the plot is pretty much an atheist's wet dream, where man even get control over natural law and order (more so than people already have with magic stuff in other fantasy environments). i must say some ideas in the pillars games are quite interesting, i just felt they didn't execute them very well.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I don't recall finding Baldurs Gate II challenging on my first playthrough, but maybe that's just because BG1 was a lot harder. The number of cheese tactics meant it was poorly balanced.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't recall finding Baldurs Gate II challenging on my first playthrough, but maybe that's just because BG1 was a lot harder. The number of cheese tactics meant it was poorly balanced too.
PoE improves on many aspects of the IE games as far as balance, reactivity, exploits, etc. are concerned. But PoE combat was a big letdown for anyone who has ever been used to IE combat, and/or wanted to play on a higher than Normal difficulty.

Trashos

Arcane
I don't recall finding Baldurs Gate II challenging on my first playthrough, but maybe that's just because BG1 was a lot harder. The amount of cheese tactics means it was poorly balanced.

I am not a big fan of autistic balance (*some* balance, of course, is always recommended). The cheese tactics vs challenging opponents needed a lot of experience and reloads to figure out. Obsidian's games are designed to be easy right out of the box, no experience (with the game at hand, not in general) required.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Per complanca! So I got to level 10 on my 2nd run. I gotta say, I don't know if combat will be even possible to balance for people doing multiple runs. The structure of the game makes it really hard. With so much of the content separated on tiny islands, it will be really easy to have an 8-10ish team fully decked out in mastery/legendary gear.
But muh sandbox design let me explore the world anytime I want.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The discussion is irrelevant due to players growing up and becoming way more experienced by playing, in fact, games which they now concider easy.

AD&D is both cheesier but also more lethal by far, in IWD you begin with d3 hp on wizard and even classic wolf can crit you for 10+ damage. In BG1 you can get a party wipe by just meeting some bandit dudes with arrows.

This here is the perfect example of attitude of people who just "don't get it":

What do you like about Firkraag's stronghold?

From memory it goes, from main entrance into the first area:

• fodder hobgoblins
  • more fodder
  • Raksasha with exploding imps, fodder if you can hit him (weapon enchant check)
  • "trap" room with fodder archers
  • Golem pack with Adamantite/juggernaut golem, fodder or kite to door
  • left and right fodder room with turncoat orc and troll cool, otygh backroom
  • progress hallway with fodder
  • vampire pack to the right (sunray fodder), followed by shadows in room with mind flayer room key
  • meet chick with quest
  • kill 7x identical djinni by stacking 100% FR, kill lone beholder
  • "adventurer party backstab" , IIRC the mage isn't even high level
  • progress hallway with were/wolfs (weapon +check) to room with well, air elemental with helm
  • more weres, funny trio, more kitable golems with heartseeker secret room
  • across bridge more golems/orogs
  • Tazok party, nothing special
  • lone mage
  • Dragon

Just look how metaknowledge makes things "fodder" in his opinion.

This, however, doesn't go just for BG

On Insane, 2 crits in a row and Jaheira is unraisably dead. I know, because it has happened to me.
These sort of events are what hardened us and why we concider PoE "easy".

If we take some random player, even RPG player, without much knowledge and put against PoTD White March content, he'll get devastated. Although, arguably, PoE2 content is actually easier than WM content, I can really say this truly - lagufaeth & llengrath at least were encounters I had to be very careful with. PoE2 has no llengrath or that swamp-level locations.

What you must concider though, is that for Us - people who played IE games for years, regulary visited Aerie website, tried new mods, and even played some of the Enhanced Editions, we don't concider vanilla BG pinnacle of RtWP combat. We are all used to play them with spell revisions, Sword Coast Stratagems, Ascension (gay romance writer Gaider was actually good for something long time ago), and other things that increased difficulty over the years, to the point of things that simply do not exist in PoE and never will, like enemies actually kiting the shit out of you with your own tactics. That's where the pinnacle of RtWP combat lies, and it's the point at which you should pick up the torch - at the summit, not beneath it's shadow.

Dragonspear and Enhanced editions for BG2 and especially ToB had some of that, worked by modders I believe, including dragons, demons, army fights, undead hunting you, wizards replenishing their spells on your rest, turning invisible, dispelling and kiting you, dual spellcasting dragons backed by celestials, lich wizard with 9000 contingencies and so on.

I mean, fuck, just look at Icewind Dale 2. It is concidered the bastard brother of IE games, but it had a lot of clever scripted fights, ambushes, difficult to navigate locations, some use of spells, party fights, exploding enemies, "tricky" final boss.

So, naturally, we (fine, maybe it's just I) waited for new games to pick this shit up. And what happens? PoE2 comes out, and people argue if it's as difficult as vanilla BG2.

Arguably, the systems behind the game are not to blame - not completely, anyway. The blame is, once again, on whoever designed encounters in this game. You give the player a relatively big toolbox up to multi classing with kits, yet this toolbox was never used by designers to it's full potential. For me, almost no enemy in the PoE2 made me think "fuck, what class combination is even that, what abilities he uses that this guy is so strong, and how do I counter that"? And unless you go roxor on the game and repeatedly try and bash yourself against encounters twice your level, you probably never will, you'll never experience the sweet, sweet feeling of a big varied encounter, a huge party, tuned specifically just to counter your progress, with every enemy in it being special, carrying special equipment that makes your life even more miserable. The experience I am still waiting to repeat from what, 18 years ago now?

Make. Better. Encounters. ALREADY. WRITE SOME GOOD, VARIED SCRIPTS FOR SPELLCASTERS, LIKE MODDERS DID. INCREASE DIFFICULTY. MIX MONSTERS IN FUCKRIDICILOUS COMBINATIONS. MAKE ME FIGHT PARTY OF GIANT DRAGON VAMPIRE LICH SEVEN CHANTERS WITH FOURTEEN SUMMONED DRAGONS. GOD. DAMMIT !!! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
For as cheesy and nonsensical as the writing in Deadfire can be sometimes, it's even worse in Baldurs Gate II
Hmmm no.
BG2 has a cliché, linear, cheesy story.
But PoE2 has a cliché, linear, cheesy and utterly absurd story which is barely delivered and decorated by a myriad of inconsequential choices which achieve nothing but confirming the player that he really isn't concerned at all.

BG2 is Irenicus' story but the game doesn't fuck around by pretending it's not.
He takes a bit of your soul because he actually fucking needs yours specifically.

PoE2 is eothas nonsensical meltown which only concerns the PC because it's his statue and only makes somewhat sense (it doesn't) because poe1 revelation. When they realized how stupid this was they added another layer of intricate connexion between him and the PC :he took a bit of your soul. No actual reason, he just happened to do, but you better recover it because. ...?
So everytime you're asked "y u do dis ?" by p.much everyone, you're reminded that you don't know and have to pick between options you don't care about, and neither does the game.

It's a very stupid story, which surprisingly misses the point of this medium's specificity entirely.
You basically witness eothas react to the first game's revelation. Even when you were, narratively speaking, the only fucker around who knew what's up, somebody had to steal the spotlight. It's... What ?

Which is the main difference with BG2, at least irenicus agenda, albeit cliché, makes sense.

As for dialogues etc, BG2 is much more digest.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dark Side Xoti was okay.

Early game - oh i'm such a girl!
Late game - I must eat brains!

How do you get Dark Xoti? She sounds like fun.
By choosing different ending at the end from what i gathered.
I chose a heaven for the soul ending and she was running around collecting souls.
AwesomeButton,how can something rotten get spoiled?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Your opinion is so far away from my own that debating it seems like a waste of time. If you don't think Baldurs Gate II's story is absurd (especially Throne of Bhaal), then I doubt anything I say would convince you otherwise.

I never said Deadfire has good writing, but it does have great worldbuilding. I find Neketaka and the Deadfire Archipelago more compelling and believable than Athkatla and the Forgotten Realms.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was talking about people who have never played party-based RPGs, not about hardcore fans of RPGs, duh. My point was that it has enough going for it to be a good starting point, aka baby's first RPG. You can't expect people coming from CoD to directly go to AoD, KotC, Fallout or even BG. Also, "babe" is gender neutral.
I do agree with you babe,DAO is pretty good starting point for new rpg fans.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was talking about people who have never played party-based RPGs, not about hardcore fans of RPGs, duh. My point was that it has enough going for it to be a good starting point, aka baby's first RPG. You can't expect people coming from CoD to directly go to AoD, KotC, Fallout or even BG. Also, "babe" is gender neutral.
I do agree with you babe,DAO is pretty good starting point for new rpg fans.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've decided to redownload Baldurs Gate II so I could compare the two without nolstalgia filters, and most of the complaints I've seen against Deadfire also apply to Baldurs Gate II. For as cheesy and nonsensical as the writing in Deadfire can be sometimes, it's even worse in Baldurs Gate II. As for the complaints about difficulty, I steamrolled Watchers Keep at level 9 so let's not pretend it's much harder.

Decide for yourselves which is the better game overall, but I think some of you have on rose-tinted goggles (admittedly I did too). Also keep in mind this game just came out, so there are many patches and expansions still in the works.
Pretty sure that your IP leads to Irvine, California.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom