Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ziggy

Scholar
Hmmm no.
BG2 has a cliché, linear, cheesy story.
But PoE2 has a cliché, linear, cheesy and utterly absurd story which is barely delivered.

the food here is terrible, and such small portions

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
25250.jpg
2900.jpg

The faces of edgy retarded obsidian fans melting over the fail of deadfire and spiting at BG,a game far superior than this pile of vomit.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The fuck are you talking about fantadomat? I have been criticising the game from the start since we ever got any tangible information about it, excuse me though just because dumpsterfire has made a lot of mistakes or obsidian has gone down in quality over the years I won't giving BG1/2 any awards. BG series has nothing great about it except proving that quantity is a quality of its own, which is a good lesson.

Plus, RTwP is derivative garbage.

Curratum

The fuck are you talking about fantadomat? I have been criticising the game from the start since we ever got any tangible information about it, excuse me though just because dumpsterfire has made a lot of mistakes or obsidian has gone down in quality over the years I won't giving BG1/2 any awards. BG series has nothing great about it except proving that quantity is a quality of its own, which is a good lesson.

So you basically consider Wizardry 4 the pinnacle of gaming as an artform, am I right?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The shield wasn't part of the original game, it came with the Collector's Edition.
Come to think of it, I don't remember it from the 4 CDs version either :) I recently watched my wife slice her way through beholders though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Don't know what you are talking about?!:lol:

Hahaha can't a guy have a little bit of trolling once in while? :lol:

sin

Educated
Another lul thing right now in POE2: summons are extended by Int. Hello, 50 sec Shades who summon Shadows either on kill or just so...
Those things have Veil so all non rifle damage gets -50% to it and they clear encounters all alone.
There is much more, to be honest the game's state at the time being is early beta at best. Nevertheless, it has much more potential than PoE had, even if they cannot fix the shitty parts like writing or VO, they did manage to improve the mechanics, which, with proper adjusting (®) may lead to the efficient system (well, it will still be RTwP, but they actually may achieve an entertaining RTwP). And hey, they definitively did well with exploration, aesthetics, overall atmosphere and performance (i.e. loading time) this time.

I've played it some time, had fun as well as got frustrated with things that had not worked or could have work better. The question is whether Josh will have opportunity and strength to unlock game's potential - if yes, it will for sure be a game to return to. For now I'm taking a break from PoE2.
Btw. I believe it's shame that Sawyer is not working at the expansions - they will probably either only add some minor stuff (like an island), or, if try to mess with the mechanics, they will fail badly.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Your opinion is so far away from my own that debating it seems like a waste of time. If you don't think Baldurs Gate II's story is absurd (especially Throne of Bhaal), then I doubt anything I say would convince you otherwise.

I never said Deadfire has good writing, but it does have great worldbuilding. I find Neketaka and the Deadfire Archipelago more compelling and believable than Athkatla and the Forgotten Realms.

I'm not talking about tob.

Writing isn't just a matter of storyline, style and narration.
It has to be consistent with the game design.
I discussed with whoever about this, the dude was radical about how rpg design should tell a story by using every design tool to this end (world building, level design, itemization... Everything) and there are games like pst which do that pretty well (obviously far from perfectly). But I am not that obtuse, if you give me a pure hack n slash experience where the story is merely there to make you progress (or give you obstacles), that's perfectly fine in my book.

But at the very least, for god's sake, be consistent.
You make a completely open archipelago, free to be explored at any pace, any level... Why is the story so poorly delivered (the fact it's absurd is just a bonus at this point) ?
Was it that hard, instead of this dumb ass meeting at Neketaka which translates into "he went that a-way", to follow up on port Maje by telling the player something like "hey looks like eothas synchronizes his cellular on adra pillars, let's go and ask people if they know where we can find adra". Boom, full use of the game design, story untouched, little investigation which is a good excuse for exploration.
Fallout did this 20 years ago ffs.

This is my point basically.
On top of what is perceived as plot holes, lousy story and this type of nonsense, the narration design is essentially fucked at the core. BG2's isn't. Another missed opportunity.

Nevertheless, it has much more potential than PoE had, even if they cannot fix the shitty parts like writing or VO, they did manage to improve the mechanics, which, with proper adjusting (®) may lead to the efficient system (well, it will still be RTwP, but they actually may achieve an entertaining RTwP). And hey, they definitively did well with exploration, aesthetics, overall atmosphere and performance (i.e. loading time) this time.
Besides performance, I agree with that.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
The shield wasn't part of the original game, it came with the Collector's Edition.

even without the shield you have the cloak of reflection (or whatever it's even called) that murders beholders just as well

The cloak of mirroring. Yes, don't use it. It was later fixed with ToB (although I am not sure if the fix also worked within SoA- because I don't install ToB).

At any rate, note that you 'll probably face multiple beholders before you get it in Chapter 4, and you may even miss it completely if you don't go to the City of Caverns (on your first playthrough, let's say). Compare it with other modern games and how they treat the safety of the player on the 1st playthrough. Can you imagine beholders in PoE? The world would collapse.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I am being consistent. Both Deadfire and Baldurs Gate II have weak stories. It's you that is trying to argue BG2's story isn't equally absurd.

You can't disregard Throne of Bhaal either. It's a continuation of the main game and an end to the Bhaalspawn and his companions story.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the Obsidian forum slowly turning into a BioWare 2.0? Looking at their story board to get more clarity in the ending, and half of the topics it seems are about companions and romances.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98322-ending-spoilers-the-ending-is-really-confusing/page-1
there's at least this one.

didn't give me many new insights though. btw i don't agree with your opinion that the god thing is something that they "brushed aside", it was actually so important that the writers didn't even think about giving the player any opportunity to change that outcome. compared to that, the competing factions element is pretty negligible. the plot is pretty much an atheist's wet dream, where man even get control over natural law and order (more so than people already have with magic stuff in other fantasy environments). i must say some ideas in the pillars games are quite interesting, i just felt they didn't execute them very well.

Yeah, read that thread, and you are right, not much info to be found there.

I mean, with brushed aside I was expecting huge changes in culture and religion, maybe wars because of it, but hardly anything is mentioned about it. And sure, kith are taking control of their own faith, somewhat at least, but it still feels very religiously considering there is still the whole soul aspect, and well, an actual god had to give up his powers for the kith to be able to take control in the first place.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Both Deadfire and Baldurs Gate II have weak stories. It's you that is trying to argue BG2's story isn't equally absurd.

BG2 - nigga stole your soul; you get nightmares, lose your speshul bhaalspawn abilities and suddenly can change into a bloodthirsty zerking daemon

Dadfire - nigga stole your soul;
bcf.gif

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
MAOR SEA SHANTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111

I have them on loop in the background playing 24/7.

Curratum

The real question is, why are sea shanties sung by what sounds like a predominantly female choir?

I somehow imagined pirate ships being full of rowdy, half-drunk men, not female choir soloists.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
You can't disregard Throne of Bhaal either.

I can and I did.
Specifically because it's completely disconnected from soa. It's just bioware's "btw here's the actual sequel to bg1 revelation, prepare to highlander".

I wasn't referring to you by asking consistency, but to the writers of deadfire.
Unless it's your way to confirm that you are indeed located in Irvine, CA. :smug:

2house2fly

Magister
Both Deadfire and Baldurs Gate II have weak stories. It's you that is trying to argue BG2's story isn't equally absurd.

BG2 - nigga stole your soul; you get nightmares, lose your speshul bhaalspawn abilities and suddenly can change into a bloodthirsty zerking daemon

Dadfire - nigga stole your soul;
bcf.gif
Oh sweet the experienced and insightful veteran who is going to be reviewing the game doesn't know what the story is

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anyone tried to kill all the faction leaders and then go and end the game? I wonder what will happen then.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh sweet the experienced and insightful veteran who is going to be reviewing the game doesn't know what the story is

indeed i have already written the review after playing for 22 hours and not even going through all of tikitaka

its awaiting publication as we speak, infinitron can confirm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom