Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

I quite enjoyed the encounter in Rimmergand's realm so I'm looking forward to the DLC. Still don't get why anyone would create a god like that, though. Engwithans must've been crazy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deals with the gods

oh no

also say what you want about rimjobguard, at least he has the right idea (aka nuke it from orbit)
28B6EDC7C52685683BB1A7AB90797CD8AC299958

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Rymrgand is like a watered down and shittier version of Darth Nihilus, at least he had a reason to do it, however selfish it was. Rymrgand doesn't, apart from it being "his portfolio".

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think they're like bunch of broken AIs who lived too long and got extra personality quirks. Which sounds good before you meet with their writing in person.

When will we go to Lake of Drowned Tombs? Or Living Lands? Make that instead of mystical realms of mystery.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only truly shit things are the writing and ship management. Neither the combat, nor the encounters, not the itemization, nor the exploration, nor the aesthetic quality of the maps is shit. The other minor, and not so minor, gripes I have is the frequency of the loading screens due to the tiny maps, the PEN mechanic, the scaling defenses that are much more noticeable here than in PoE1, and the dungeons being tiny and not really dungeons. I'm not saying it's great, it can be much more than it is, but I expected much worse. I'm also expecting a huge dip in the quality in the last third of the game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To be fair to the game, how many great dungeons can you name in the same game, if you take the IE games? All of Icewind Dale has Severed Hand and I guess Upper Dorn's Deep as truly great dungeons. BGII had Firkaag's dungeon, Umar Hills' dungeon, the Sphere, and what else...?

Shadenuat

Arcane
IWD was all ok dungeons. Valley of Shadows was ok for starting party & Dragon Eye was scary. Fuckin poison traps & Yxomenei.

BG2 had Helm's Keep. Which is better than anything PoE did yet.

And Underdork of course.

Sewers > cult of eye too was nice. About as nice as Neketaka's gulag.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IWD was all ok dungeons. Valley of Shadows was ok for starting party & Dragon Eye was scary. Fuckin poison traps & Yxomenei.

BG2 had Helm's Keep. Which is better than anything PoE did yet.
I've played IWD quite recently, so your glasses are rosey, and remind me what Helm's Keep was? I don't think there was such thing in BG2.

Mind you, I'm talking really remarkable dungeons. Dragon's Eye only gets interesting at level 5. Thrash mobs cover the way before that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I re-played IWD EE when it came out so no they aren't.

Watcher's Keep the mega dungeon with Demogorgon.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Oh, Watcher's Keep was added with ToB, so I did't count that. But yes, I remember that was good too, though I can't say I remember it for anything specific.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What's the difference.

IWD dungeons are at least big enough for player to think about resources and feel the "depth" of dungeon adventuring.

Deadfire dungeons are just a room or two. You will spend maybe an hour or two in biggest of them all.

Concidering that the most fun way of playing Deadfire is rolling with your own SoZ party killing and looting, not having some good dungeons is sad.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The only truly shit things are the writing and ship management. Neither the combat, nor the encounters, not the itemization, nor the exploration, nor the aesthetic quality of the maps is shit. The other minor, and not so minor, gripes I have is the frequency of the loading screens due to the tiny maps, the PEN mechanic, the scaling defenses that are much more noticeable here than in PoE1, and the dungeons being tiny and not really dungeons. I'm not saying it's great, it can be much more than it is, but I expected much worse. I'm also expecting a huge dip in the quality in the last third of the game.

lacrymas's journey in this thread has come very far indeed

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
To be fair to the game, how many great dungeons can you name in the same game, if you take the IE games? All of Icewind Dale has Severed Hand and I guess Upper Dorn's Deep as truly great dungeons. BGII had Firkaag's dungeon, Umar Hills' dungeon, the Sphere, and what else...?
As you can name any dungeons in PoE2,the game have like 5 of them,the rest is just one-two rooms with enemy. BG2 had the underdark,it is far better dungeon than the whole POE2.

Lacrymas The game have a lot more shit. Only good thing about is the looks and the gulag area with its connected dungeon. How many mods do you use? If the combat is that good why don't you play it vanilla?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

lacrymas's journey in this thread has come very far indeed
But he hasn't arrived at the finis.

Review,when?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
also speaking of IWD, one of my fondest RPG experiences ever is getting my barb hit by a histachii in the middle of dragon's eye 2nd level and realising that i've run out of disease cures - so i could only go forth and destroy because resting or going back would mean deff

what happened next was a frantic push forward as that fucker kept getting plinked for -1 until he finally bit the dirt right after i killed yxunomei, in a majestic display of "mission accomplished, off to valhalla"

this would never happen in a moderntard game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom