Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
The solution is aggressive ambushes while you rest and not allowing any backtracking. The compromise for normies is always having an autosave before entering each dungeon.

Remove all per rests and rests, balance everything around per encounters. :balance:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No i haven't played it on potd,played it on normal and veteran after level 8. You shouldn't judge the game only on the hardest difficulty,most people do play it on normal and don't care that if you put a bunch of mods and play it on difficulty that only combatfags play,the game's combat is passable.

If you have fun mate,well more power to you. I didn't managed to enjoy the game,maybe because i am a story fag and the writing is worst i have seen. Anyway,have fun with the game :salute:.

The combat simply doesn't make sense on difficulties below PotD, just like in PoE1, there is no way to judge it on a lower difficulty because you aren't engaging with the core systems. Maybe try to reserve judgement before playing it on PotD.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No i haven't played it on potd,played it on normal and veteran after level 8. You shouldn't judge the game only on the hardest difficulty,most people do play it on normal and don't care that if you put a bunch of mods and play it on difficulty that only combatfags play,the game's combat is passable.

If you have fun mate,well more power to you. I didn't managed to enjoy the game,maybe because i am a story fag and the writing is worst i have seen. Anyway,have fun with the game :salute:.

The combat simply doesn't make sense on difficulties below PotD, just like in PoE1, there is no way to judge it on a lower difficulty because you aren't engaging with the core systems. Maybe try to reserve judgement before playing it on PotD.
You just admitted that the combat is shit on every other difficulty except story and potd. Then urged that everyone should play on potd for the game to be mildly interesting......that is interesting world views there Lacrymas. Would recommend you to go out and meet more people.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The solution is aggressive ambushes while you rest and not allowing any backtracking. The compromise for normies is always having an autosave before entering each dungeon.

no, the solution is to make time actually matter so that 'rest spamming' isn't a valid thing to do

or making the dunjin change as you rest. Daggerfall had the right idea for this - wanna rest every minute? sure, go ahead, but don't whine once the elder vampires start spawning

altho kotc also did well with closing backtracking

Cross

Arcane
Solving rest-spamming isn't even hard. Forbid resting in dungeons. If players kill enemies and go to rest elsewhere, have some (but not all) of the enemies that were killed earlier respawn. Since only a portion of the enemies respawn, this allows even the most casual players that Sawyer likes to design his games for to eventually make it through the dungeon while still encouraging judicious resting for other players.

Hilariously enough, the IE game that did this is the one where combat was a complete afterthought - PST. It even had long-term consequences for abusing your immortality (dying frequently throughout the game made more shadows appear in the Fortress of Regrets, the one place where you could permanently die).

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Solving rest-spamming isn't even hard.
Without re-designing core game I wouldn't say it's easy.

Ideally it should feel like a pnp adventure, where once you're set on journey, generally you don't backtrack because it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Changing game to represent that would require things like AoD did with it's mine camp barricading if you fled from it first time. Which is logical, immersive, C&C and shit, but a ton of work.

Respawning mobs and backtracking to a place which does not have them is either gamey solution or will end up unbalancing stuff - so you spam ancient vampires, now you can farm them for xp, things like that.

You could probably use all these things in different dungeons - one gets a barricade from AoD, another respawns monsters, third locks you inside it. One shoe fits all design, especially in a game that has some sort of open world, just wouldn't be very convincing.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Removing rest spamming will just kill the game,any game honestly. This days most people wouldn't like this. Instead they should have designed battles with that idea in mind. More dangerous battles would have been a lot better than removing resting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You just admitted that the combat is shit on every other difficulty except story and potd. Then urged that everyone should play on potd for the game to be mildly interesting......that is interesting world views there Lacrymas. Would recommend you to go out and meet more people.

This is how it is in PoE, I really don't care about lower difficulties, they are trivial. PoE1 and 2 are fairly challenging (at early-to-early-mid-game) on PotD, so Obs will never allow that to happen on lower difficulties because normies. Whether normies can take on PotD is very debatable, given the inclusion of Story Mode, the constant whining on their forums and game journos being terrible at games. Welcome to reality, having options in this case is a compromise for grognards, one that I'd take over not having RPGs.

More dangerous battles would have been a lot better than removing resting.

Battles are dangerous on PotD. I have no idea what kind of mental gymnastics are going on in your head, you are complaining that battles aren't challenging and dangerous (even decrying the game shit because of that), yet refuse to play it on the difficulty that actually has those. Why?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The eternal struggle - "we want time to matter in the gaem, because it's a gaem!" - "but it also has to have a ~narrative~ because that makes it more than a gaem!"

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can make time matter, i.e. add quests like "capture this fortress in 3 days". But like with Tyranny, it may end up as a complete lie after 80% of players would fail/hate it.

But, just like with Waterchip, perhaps mechanics is not the most important thing here, but the psychological effect on the player. Once the timer is set, even a (light) lie will make players try and not rest scum.

I think ideally in the world of AAA rpgs you can have side content that does all those things I mentioned + time specific quests. Kingdom Come Deliverance actually had them I believe. But probably not the whole system based around them, unless it's a roguelike.

Quillon

Arcane
no, the solution is to make time actually matter so that 'rest spamming' isn't a valid thing to do

I thought the same thing for different reasons :P

I said:
Also story urgency is a problem in RPGs the most, instead of trying so hard to make it "seem" urgent,(you don't seem good. -no I'm fine really, eder. not loosing my mind at all) make it so the end boss gets powerful as you "dilly dally" in the game. If you reach him early enough you'll have a weak end boss, if you take your time the boss will be more powerful, he'll be in a fortified place with henchman every step of the way etc. f.i. If the player has max level party in PoE's end battle, we could have met a more prepared Thaos; there could have been like 2 more statues and the way down there could have harder encounters.
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92692-leveling-up-in-pillars-2/?p=1916087

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Talking about ~the narrative~ - they come to me speaking of engaging story and characters... with this:

PIoQgai.png

Dl9EuXT.png

mnNheKM.png

"I'm one of the countless minor nobles..." ??? "my great, great whatever" ??? Is this the same person who wrote about "spirity stuff"?

Creepy Maia, literally 10 minutes after I add her to the party ??? This was supposed to have been fixed wasn't it?

Who writes this stuff? If it was me, I would find them, fire them, and physically kick them out of building. Josh is too soft.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, sure, there are a bunch of ways for resting to be more meaningful, we've been over this a lot. Some games will benefit from no backtracking and aggressive ambushes, others from time-related mechanics, a third group from limited resting spots in dungeons like KotC.

AwesomeButton

Patron
New level of incompetent writing in games - "There are people on the Codex putting more thought into their shitposts than this game's writers ~narrative designers~ have into their dialogues."

Quillon

Arcane
Talking about ~the narrative~ - they come to me speaking of engaging story and characters... with this:

PIoQgai.png

Dl9EuXT.png

mnNheKM.png

"I'm one of the countless minor nobles..." ??? "my great, great whatever" ??? Is this the same person who wrote about "spirity stuff"?

Creepy Maia, literally 10 minutes after I add her to the party ??? This was supposed to have been fixed wasn't it?

Who writes this stuff? If it was me, I would find them, fire them, and physically kick them out of building. Josh is too soft.

I don't see the problem here, that Kahn dude(wasn't it a gal? :P ) is clearly being sarcastic/careless. Should everyone talk in all seriousness and clarity?

Sizzle

Arcane
The intent is clear, what's being discussed right now is the technical aspect of the writing itself - which is where it fails.

It's not like how a real person would speak, but more like how someone would describe a character's backstory in a (generic) novel.

Lacrymas

Arcane
"I am one of countless no-name faceless farmers in these Middle Ages we are living in, I'm under the oppressive thumb of my feudal lord and such stuff. Here's a quest."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If you try to read deadfire's writing seriously,you will have cancer by the end of the first chapter. This game have writing worst than even a behemoths of shit writing like fallout 3 or DOS games. Maybe they are trying to get bought by Todd Howard.

Sizzle

Arcane
If you try to read deadfire's writing seriously,you will have cancer by the end of the first chapter. This game have writing worst than even a behemoths of shit writing like fallout 3 or DOS games. Maybe they are trying to get bought by Todd Howard.

Why do you have the need to go into such hyperbole? The game has problems, many of them, yes, and criticizing those problems, and pointing them out is valid.

What isn't valid is saying things like: "Well, yeah, this game is the worst thing of all time, with equaly worst writing. Remember 'Have you seen my father - middle-aged guy?' from FO3? It's even worse than that!"

That is the way of the retard.

That is the way of the Lurker King.

Don't be like that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Why do you have the need to go into such hyperbole? The game has problems, many of them, yes, and criticizing those problems, and pointing them out is valid.

What isn't valid is saying things like: "Well, yeah, this game is the worst thing of all time, with equaly worst writing. Remember 'Have you seen my father - middle-aged guy?' from FO3? It's even worse than that!"

That is the way of the retard.

That is the way of the Lurker King.

Don't be like that.
It is not the worst game eva mate,it is just shit. I get mightily offended by this game because i am a storyfag :). The writing is really terrible.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Make every dialog tree hold a random, hidden qualifier that will cause instant party-wipe if pressed and have the numbers and dialog lines jump around like a banner-ad mini-game where you have to hunt them down to click; this will force players to carefully read every dialog and scrutinize options without mindlessly hitting spacebar.

Boom, writing solved!

For every few dialog trees you survive you start earning Word Hunter prestige points which will add multipliers to damage based on the amount of Steam Trading cards on your account.

Boom, balance solved!

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
This game feels like NumaNuma in story, it's pretentious and fails to deliver. Having played it, I feel like I ate something that had gone off. Why did I do that?

Codex Year of the Donut
This game feels like NumaNuma in story, it's pretentious and fails to deliver. Having played it, I feel like I ate something that had gone off. Why did I do that?
last time I did that I couldn't sleep because I kept puking and eventually got so tired I couldn't get to the bathroom in time and started puking all over the kitchen and just collapsed in my own puke

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom