Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, May 8, 2018.

1. pomenitul Learned

pomenitul
    Parrots:
    In spite of its inevitable issues (it is, after all, a video game), none of which will be spared by the professional naysayers on this here forum, so far (I'm in Nekataka) it strikes me as a very good effort, mostly an improvement over the first instalment. It would be a shame if it were to bomb utterly but such is the age we live in. D:OS2 was indeed the isometric exception, and for all the wrong reasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Also does anyone know where to find some useful soulbound item,i have 5 and all of them are weapons.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Again, not sure where the notion Pillars of Eternity II has failed or is going to fail commercially is coming from. Could really use clarification on this.

• Funny x 3
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tygrende Learned

Tygrende
    Parrots:
    I stole a kraken's eye from the tavern, then learned that the tavern was named after it and I made the owner very sad.

I felt bad so I wanted to put it back in its place. Imagine my disappointment when I realized it's an ingredient and you can't transfer these into containers.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Despair Despair x 6
    • :( :( x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    They pumped a lot more money into this than just the kickstarter budget, which was already bigger than the first game. Spending a lot more money on the sequel and not even coming close to the original in terms of sales is pretty much a flop, relatively speaking

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    Do they really have the money right now to be hiring new people?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    You have found every single soulbound item in the game.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Yeah, I think people are forgetting that this game in all likelyhood went significantly over budget because someone had a retarded idea they need to have #metoo feature parity with D:OS2. Full VO and those Critical Role idiots aren't cheap.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. StrongBelwas Learned Patron

StrongBelwas
    Parrots:
    Its the one IP they totally control without any strings attached like the deal with the Tim Cain project (And who knows how that will turn out in the end), they'll find some way to use it. If its in the form of a PoE 3 I'd expect Feargus just told the team to give it a major scope downgrade though.

^ Top  
  10. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    The only thing that i didn't pilfer in the whole world :cool:,maybe the only thing people react if it goes missing.

Don't even joke about this.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Can you provide any evidence that VO is really expensive?

• retadred x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lexx Augur

Lexx
    Parrots:
    I paid about 2k € for 2 voice actors with (in total) 2.5k words of text for a project last year. PoE2 is a very word heavy game, so I'm expecting huge costs.

^ Top  
  13. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    So who is Obsidians marketing person, someone from Feargus family?

I didn’t know Katrin Gardner left, I thought she was cute and did a good job on the update videos.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Infinitron,obviously!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lahey Laheyist Patron

Lahey
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    :thisisfine:
    :thingsareokay:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    You guys are also overlooking that the potential market for this on GOG (nowadays) could easily duplicate the Steam sales, 1:1.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 8
    • Funny x 5
    • FAKE NEWS x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were more that got cut. It probably takes more time to make sure the code for leveling them up is done right and meeting the conditions causes them to fire off effectively, vs a normal unique weapon. They already didn't have much time for bugfixing and I imagine some hard choices had to be made between a soulbound weapon that might not work right and no soulbound weapon at all. On the plus side, upgrading a unique item seems to be more involved now

^ Top  
  18. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    It's not optimism.

The first 1.3 million copies of the Witcher 3 that sold on PC, over half were on GOG, a platform that is strongly preferred by a huge number of cRPG enthusiasts.

Nowadays, it's not a lot to suggest that the first couple hundred people who buy Deadfire are going to want to buy it on GOG.

It's games like this that are the major source of GOG's 8 percent share of the online distribution market.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Thonius Arbiter

Thonius
    Parrots:
    To all who rates this as prosper etc... do you find exciting dat +1 thaco on your 25 level cleric?....lol

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    Parrots:
    I don't know about that, seems like every time we get an actual breakdown from devs GOG is a smaller percentage than many expect (often in the 5-10% range from what I recall, could be wrong). The Witcher is a special case. It's early days to call this a failure, of course, but I wouldn't be happy looking at the trends when it comes to player numbers compared to PoE1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Parrots:
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    if the game is flop it only proves the game is incline because as we all know the general masses are agents of decline look at how D:OS2 sold well because of decline meanwhile look at shit that doesn't selll well like AoD, Grimoire and POE2 shit is INCLINE and the masses get scared like lil baby orlans

^ Top  
  22. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    TalesfromtheCrypt

It barely has any. I would say it has the same amount of SJW-ism as the first PoE, perhaps even less. There are more female characters, so if that counts then there is that. For example the first village you enter has a female chieftain, however this has zero bearing on anything else, except to trigger snowflakes who play games under a specific prism.

Another nothing-burger example: your first "Task" (side-quest) is about solving a dispute between a woman and a man, except in a Shamalayan-tier twist the aggressor was the woman and the man is bed-ridden and abused.

Stuff like that, basically. Stuff you would never in a million years think was anything more than what it is at face value. One can just as easily argue that it is simply devs playing around with conventions, without any further connotations.

Remember that posters who talk about this subject are X-treme individuals, and as such they carry a +10 Passionate, but suffer a -15 Diplomacy. They will see a side-quest like the one outlined above and cry: "See! They flipped the genders as part of the agenda!".

All that said: the writing didn't improve much, if at all. It's arguably less boring than in the first game mainly because you're doing less generic things and are participating in a richer pastiche. All the complaints about SJW-ism concerning companions and their romances is the byproduct of questionable competence in characterization and written dialog; plus that handy bug that makes some of the dialog flags in disposition nodes trigger concurrently.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    :negative:
    This game triggers are total shit! Hope the guy that programmed this shit gets fucked by faggot nigger biker gang,incompetent lazy fuck! I was doing the slavers quest and decided to kill the slavers,next thing i know is that the retarded fish people took the island and the retarded native bitch goes all insane and say that i am to blame for doing her idiotic quest,later on the primitive queen decides to send me to those idiot on a quest,the moment i get the quests already tells me that the negotiations failed and the idiots won't join me. I snapped at this shit and cleansed the island! Also i think that pirate quests are bugged and don't start.

• Edgy Edgy x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Not really,just kill shit or do damage in some way. Are they really only 5 soulbound items????

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Parrots:
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    well golly gee infinitron... anyone you have in mind???

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)