Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How could that be true in the same game that people complain is trash-mob infested? :P

I think the number Bester cites is 100, which seems fine to me, but even that could be increased in a sequel.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Someone said here part of the ideas of BG3 went into PoE. Now maybe it's a good thing that other game wasn't released in the end.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was Roguey, and he's wrong (and probably knows it). He's playing folks like a fiddle - Sawyer Derangement Syndrome has now reached the stage where people are actually happy that Black Isle got shut down and his games were cancelled. :hero:

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

Fry

Arcane

So coy. At this rate, they'll have to officially announce it soon.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Depending on their plans for crowdfunding, I could see this remaining a secret until Tyranny is released.

One thing they could do is have a crowdfunding campaign where you can also add some money to pre-order Tyranny, like what Larian did with D:OS and Dragon Commander. Anthony Davis You should suggest that.

Seaking4

Learned
Do they even need to kickstart this game? Paradox funded Tyranny so PoE2 could be Obsidian funded or hell even another Paradox game.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Depending on their plans for crowdfunding, I could see this remaining a secret until Tyranny is released.

One thing they could do is have a crowdfunding campaign where you can also add some money to pre-order Tyranny, like what Larian did with D:OS and Dragon Commander. Anthony Davis You should suggest that.

I'll pass it on because I think it's an interesting idea - but there's probably some sort of business issues at conflict because Obsidian owns PoE, but I think Paradox owns Tyranny.

Still, there is a relationship there and I think it's an interesting idea.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Kotaku: Obsidian employee inadvertently confirms future Pillars of Eternity 2 crowdfunding campaign on fan forum.
:troll:

Fairfax

Arcane

I'll pass it on because I think it's an interesting idea - but there's probably some sort of business issues at conflict because Obsidian owns PoE, but I think Paradox owns Tyranny.

Well, Obsidian has done it before. Some PoE tiers included WL2, and some BT4 tiers had PoE.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Well, Obsidian has done it before. Some PoE tiers included WL2, and some BT4 tiers had PoE.

Well, there ya go, I didn't know that.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Kotaku: Obsidian employee inadvertently confirms future Pillars of Eternity 2 crowdfunding campaign on fan forum.
:troll:

hahahaha

Now I have to repeat myself that I actually have zero knowledge of any project's funding plans or anything like that. Please don't fire me, Feargus.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Or maybe Paradox requested a game that was "Diablo 3-style, but with strong storytelling", and Obsidian came up with Tyranny?

Durance becomes a heretical preacher, enemy of gods, leadin a popular uprising of unbelievers that are just as fanatical as most rabid believers.

Didn't another game have this already?

Just don't let Paradox touch this one, for god' sake.

BTW, BG3 was going to be full 3d, right?

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Paradox owns Tyranny.

So, the idea for the game was developed internally by Obsidian and then sold to Paradox?
North Carolina got canned. Obsidian pitched a reworked version to publishers again, and they said: "this is not very different to the last pitch" and they all rejected it again. According to Feargus, this was the lowest point in the company's history. Later on they pitched another version (loosely based on the original concept) to Paradox and they signed it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Do I have to purchase Tranny to ensure Obsidian can keep the lights on long enough to finish PoE 2? :smug:

Or maybe Paradox requested a game that was "Diablo 3-style, but with strong storytelling", and Obsidian came up with Tyranny?
wut, how is it similiar to Diablo at all?

Elves being thrown in the air and raining arrows down on enemies.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That was Roguey, and he's wrong (and probably knows it). He's playing folks like a fiddle - Sawyer Derangement Syndrome has now reached the stage where people are actually happy that Black Isle got shut down and his games were cancelled. :hero:

Much like Van Buren and New Vegas, they have superficial similarities e.g. the same set-up (you're some random person who's drawn into the conflict through being in the wrong place at the wrong time) and the disposition system.

Seaking4

Learned

(you're some random person who's drawn into the conflict through being in the wrong place at the wrong time)

So like almost every other game? You're either the chosen one or this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Roguey I will say that the Black Hound's plot overview sounds delightfully pretentious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

May Farrow and her gang of raiders have spent weeks tracking down the black hound, the essence of May's guilt for unleashing a great evil. The player character is resting by the firelight in an old barn to hide from the storm outside when a black hound arrives and after being shot twice by an arrow, it cries one last time before it dies on the player lap. May almost kills the player, accusing him of being in league with the dog (meaning she thinks the player character is another essence of her guilt) and almost kills the player character (PC) before the Riders of Archendale save the PC. They question the PC, take the PC to the magistrate, who question the PC further and inform the PC not to leave the areas of North Sembia, Archendale, Battledale and Deepingdale. Whenever the player then approaches somebody with great guilt, the black hound appears to him and eventually the players actions make the player the essence of guilt throughout the four areas mentioned above. As the player unravels more secrets, he learns that he can't kill guilt, thus he cannot kill the black hound or what he has become (the player can physically die, but people won't forget about what the player did). Eventually, he learns the tale of a widowed farmer's wife, taking great guilt in her husband's death as for some reason she believes its her fault, she tries to resurrect him. She succeeds but finds him to be an abomination and cannot stop him, despite him being very weak at the time. Through the course of the game, the farmer is growing stronger and stronger off the guilt absorbed by the black hound through the player. The player learns of this wife being May Farrow, who believes killing the hound would be a way to stop the farmer, the hound however latched its soul onto the player and uses him as a tunnel to channel guilt to the farmer and as a guide to the world.[8]

It reminds me a bit of NWN2 OC. May Farrow = Ammon Jerro, "the farmer" = some King of Shadows-like monstrosity.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vallia will only be fun if we get to be involved in politics and all that. I want factions to mean something in this game. Be it political parties, important figuerheads, trading companies or whatever. If that's in, I don't care what they do for the main plot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom